Indicator on = Just go

texas style? hell, in houston there's plenty of places where the acceleration lane is so short that a 300hp sports car has a hard time merging even at full throttle. construction zones are a bitch.

yeah i know what you meant though... texas as in oversized. when you have an entire MILE to get up to a safe merging speed, there's no reason for people to merge in so much slower and cause problems.

this wasn't a construction zone. and i expect that in any reasonable country, the laws say the vehicle already on the main lanes has the right of way, and the merging vehicle is the one who has to modify its speed to be able to merge. yes, in heavy traffic that goes out the window, but this wasn't heavy traffic either.

Actually meant the opposite for some reason the Ramps in Texas are Super Short.
I call them 'Texas Style' on Ramps.
They say everything is Bigger in Texas...they must not have seen the onramps.
There are a few other states with super short on ramps but Texas is the worst imo

I used to live in Temple.
I drive a Truck OTR now, so get around a bit.

never been to temple, but i've seen some goofy ones around austin, and between beaumont and the LA border, they have some really screwy ones, especially with the two-way service roads. i like them in my miata because the chicanes are fun (cuz i can actually take the chicanes at 60 mph!), as are cloverleaves, but they suck in a top heavy vehicle. most of the ones in houston that i use regularly are pretty easy... and yet people STILL don't accelerate till after they get on the main lanes.

i do get a kick out of all the NO U TURN signs on the highway/interstate on-ramps in new england. do people really do that often enough that they decided they need to put giant NO U TURN signs at EVERY on-ramp?? if so, darwin was right.

I disagree with the stop part of your comment.
Don't stop unless absolutely necessary.
In most cases one could keep going on the shoulder for a bit.

Nobody expects anybody on a Ramp to Stop.

It is a double edge sword, if they stop and there are other cars tailgating them then they could cause an accident in the merging lane,
And if they keep going on the shoulder (at what speed do you suggest?) they can run into cyclists/broken down cars/hit large debris etc. If they couldn't merge safely in the entirety of the merging lane, there is a good chance they will cause confusion to others /themselves and cause an accident anyway.

What is your reason for saying don't stop unless necessary? vehicles behind the merger hitting them? or vehicles in the slow lane hitting them?

I did preface the statement with "if necessary". I have been in situations where there the traffic flow was so heavy that there was no room so safely merge at speed. Yes, you could continue for a short distance on the shoulder, but the shoulders are getting narrower and narrower in many cities as they increase the lanes of travel. I would rather stop and have a rear end than cause bigger accident on a busy highway which could involve several vehicles. As for not expecting someone to stop on a ramp, I don't believe that is the case. I try to always anticipate the possibility of a vehicle stopping suddenly, especially in areas where traffic flow is changing. If I rear end someone on a ramp, no matter why they stopped, I would consider it my fault for following too closely or not paying attention.

I've also observed someone stopping in the passing lane of a 70 MHP highway, not pull to the side but actually sit in the middle of the lane, hesitate for almost 10 seconds, then decide to cross the muddy median to make a U turn rather than go on to the next exit. These are just a couple of the reasons why they recommend a safe following distance and keeping your eyes on the road in front.

KuoH

I disagree with the stop part of your comment.
Don't stop unless absolutely necessary.
In most cases one could keep going on the shoulder for a bit.

Extracted from this site: http://www.michiganautolaw.com/blog...-right-of-way-when-merging-on-to-the-freeway/ which applies to the state of Michigan. I'm sure most states have a similar traffic code. Common sense tells me the same applies to most countries as well.

(However experience tells me that common sense generally does not apply when it comes to legislative bodies :eek:).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who has the right of way when merging onto the freeway?

Simply put, a driver merging onto a freeway must yield to traffic upon the freeway.

It must be noted that traffic on the freeway cannot intentionally block a driver from merging by either speeding up or slowing down.

According to MCL 257.649(7):

A driver entering a roadway from a roadway that is intended for and constructed as a merging roadway, and is plainly marked at the intersection with the appropriate merge signs, shall yield the right-of-way to traffic upon the roadway that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard and shall adjust their speed to enable them to merge safely with through traffic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If one is unable to merge on with a Ramp.
How will they possibly be able to merge on sitting at THE END OF THE RAMP completely stopped.
Not talking about stop/go or heavy traffic on the Interstate/Hwy of course.

Given a proper Ramp the inability to merge onto a moving freeway (not stopped or heavy traffic). Is most often the fault of the driver 'attempting' to merge.
Talking about Passenger Vehicles here.
Not trucks or Buses.

I can't say for the entire country, but there are instances during rush hours around me where there just isn't enough room between cars to merge safely, especially on busy 2 lane highways or construction zones. There are instances, be it a double trailer semi, which aren't allowed in the left lane in some areas, being tailgated by impatient drivers or just a long train of other vehicles where the onramp is going blocked off at the time of merge. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but I also don't believe in the idea that it is possible to merge safely 100% of the time in those situations. So your choice is either to force other drivers out of the way or wait for a better opportunity. It's rare when it happens and I can only recall a couple of times where I've encountered a situation like this, but I felt safer waiting rather than just barging in.

KuoH

How will they possibly be able to merge on sitting at THE END OF THE RAMP completely stopped.
Not talking about stop/go or heavy traffic on the Interstate/Hwy of course.

They will eventually, is it legal to continue to use breakdown shoulder, will a copper fine you if you stop or if you keep going on the shoulder for 2-300 meters?

Given a proper Ramp the inability to merge onto a moving freeway (not stopped or heavy traffic). Is most often the fault of the driver 'attempting' to merge.
Talking about Passenger Vehicles here.

Not trucks or Buses.

You said it yourself, the type of drivers incapable of merging when there was a chance usually don't belong in the breakdown shoulder anyway, I see them everyday, usually only look at the last moment and are going 90kph in a 110 zone, better stop than push into breakdown lane, you and me will know what to do when there is no gap and we can use the breakdown lane for a few seconds. I don't disagree with what everyone is saying, but some drivers will be better off if they stop 2 meters away from traffic at the end of their lane than do something beyond their capability, that is just my opinion.

There was still a good 5 seconds of usable road even after he attempted to force his way on the highway.

OK, I can see that now. These videos can be very tricky to read. The acceleration lane appeared to end quite quickly but that perception is caused by distortion from the wide angle lens. In fact the merging driver attempted entering immediately when the solid line ended, thus he must have had sufficient roadway ahead and should have stayed in the acceleration lane.

If necessary, the merging vehicle can come to a stop to wait for an opening rather than force their way and potentially cause a very serious accident.
KuoH
Only as a last resort. :eek: I recall one small town, where people would occasionally pull to a stop at the very end of the acceleration lane and then look for an opportunity to pull into traffic. I had to look more than once to make sure that there was no stop sign there because people sure acted like there was one. Even more odd is that the acceleration lane sloped downwards to the highway.

They will eventually, is it legal to continue to use breakdown shoulder, will a copper fine you if you stop or if you keep going on the shoulder for 2-300 meters?

You said it yourself, the type of drivers incapable of merging when there was a chance usually don't belong in the breakdown shoulder anyway, I see them everyday, usually only look at the last moment and are going 90kph in a 110 zone, better stop than push into breakdown lane, you and me will know what to do when there is no gap and we can use the breakdown lane for a few seconds. I don't disagree with what everyone is saying, but some drivers will be better off if they stop 2 meters away from traffic at the end of their lane than do something beyond their capability, that is just my opinion.

I'll adjust what I said, the type of drivers that only look at the last few seconds when they could have looked much earlier are not always the incapable ones, in fact most are ok, just too lazy sometimes. But I have seen the incapable ones dozens of times usually slow right down, I usually then concentrate on my driving and don't pay attention on whether they stop or not. Example of a CAPABLE driver below.

It is only 80kph zone so, I am not too worried but this car is a beefy V6. When drivers don't look early enough and are coming at a slower speeds is when confusion is unnecessarily caused.

texas style? hell, in houston there's plenty of places where the acceleration lane is so short that a 300hp sports car has a hard time merging even at full throttle. construction zones are a bitch.

yeah i know what you meant though... texas as in oversized. when you have an entire MILE to get up to a safe merging speed, there's no reason for people to merge in so much slower and cause problems.

this wasn't a construction zone. and i expect that in any reasonable country, the laws say the vehicle already on the main lanes has the right of way, and the merging vehicle is the one who has to modify its speed to be able to merge. yes, in heavy traffic that goes out the window, but this wasn't heavy traffic either.
I am in Houston a couple times a week, absolutely agree with you :)

Actually meant the opposite for some reason the Ramps in Texas are Super Short.
I call them 'Texas Style' on Ramps.
They say everything is Bigger in Texas...they must not have seen the onramps.
There are a few other states with super short on ramps but Texas is the worst imo

I used to live in Temple.
I drive a Truck OTR now, so get around a bit.
It is an eye opener for sure :(

I'll adjust what I said, the type of drivers that only look at the last few seconds when they could have looked much earlier are not always the incapable ones, in fact most are ok, just too lazy sometimes. But I have seen the incapable ones dozens of times usually slow right down, I usually then concentrate on my driving and don't pay attention on whether they stop or not. Example of a CAPABLE driver below.

It is only 80kph zone so, I am not too worried but this car is a beefy V6. When drivers don't look early enough and are coming at a slower speeds is when confusion is unnecessarily caused.
Funny you posted this.
I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Might as well post it here now.

I don't always move over, but there would be no room for him to keep going there.

I picked one of the Free Songs, as I'm sure nobody wants to hear Talk Radio.

He didn't use his Turn Signal. Still better than most, they want to merge in next to me and hang out forever, or pass me when I'm almost in front of them (ready to move back to the right).

That is a very short ramp. Good thing we don't have these where I drive, what is the speed limit?

That is a very short ramp. Good thing we don't have these where I drive, what is the speed limit?
I really don't like ramp designs like that where entering and exiting traffic use the same lane. We have a couple of those on roads I travel frequently and when traffic is heavy it's like a "dodge 'em" car ride at the carnival with vehicles entering and exiting trying to swap positions in the single lane available to them. It's just a disaster waiting to happen...

Should be 65/70 on the road I'm on.
I can normally only go 65 anyway (governed).

This is a 180 deg ramp, which we have all over.
With the pickup truck should be able to hit 35-40 easily at the top of the ramp by the small straight away.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ugjnlz.jpg

Back