Installation help

hariprasanth

Reaction score
Country
India
Hey everyone,

Thrilled to join the DashCamTalk community! My name's Hari Prasanth, and as a brand new driver in India, I recently invested in the A229 PRO 3CH. Choosing the right dashcam felt overwhelming at first, but after tons of research and recommendations for this model, I'm confident I made a great pick!

Now, being new on the road, I wanted a setup that captured the most angles with the best possible field of view (FOV). I understand connecting the IR interior camera might affect bitrate, but parking security is a priority. Especially when leaving my car in unfamiliar or less safe areas. Capturing clear details in these situations would be invaluable.

Speaking of placement, I'm curious about the ideal spots on the front and rear windshield for optimal coverage. I've also seen some users mount the interior IR camera facing backwards for additional coverage.

Here's where I could really use your expertise! How can I install my A229 PRO 3CH for maximum efficiency, balancing parking security with clear road footage?

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Welcome! You can consider trying out the new beta 1.3 firmware.

It adds a new feature where you could use the interior cam just for parking mode. This way you could get the higher bitrate front cam when running as a 2CH front/rear setup and then have the interior cam turning on and helping for parking recording which is your priority.

Welcome! You can consider trying out the new beta 1.3 firmware.

It adds a new feature where you could use the interior cam just for parking mode. This way you could get the higher bitrate front cam when running as a 2CH front/rear setup and then have the interior cam turning on and helping for parking recording which is your priority.

Hey Vortex,

Thank you for your insights, can you also help me understand which is better?
1. Mounting the IR cam directed at my face (or)
2. Facing the front, mounted to the rear windshield?

Which gives the optimum coverage?

Speaking of placement, I'm curious about the ideal spots on the front and rear windshield for optimal coverage.
Welcome to the club.
My favorite mounting location for the IR Interior camera is on the rear window looking into the passenger compartment.
The FOV is almost wide enough to capture out all my side windows.
This can be helpful in parking mode, driving situations, and potential traffic stops.

Here’s what it looks like during the day, (take note at 1:08 when I merge onto the highway);

Here’s what it looks like at night time, (take note at 1:04 when the camera transitions between color and black & white when the IR LED’s switch on/off);

Here’s two other alternate mounting locations;

Here’s 7 different POV’s edited into one video from various mounting locations including left & right side views, (day & night time);

-Chuck

Welcome to the club.
My favorite mounting location for the IR Interior camera is on the rear window looking into the passenger compartment.
The FOV is almost wide enough to capture out all my side windows.
This can be helpful in parking mode, driving situations, and potential traffic stops.

Here’s what it looks like during the day, (take note at 1:08 when I merge onto the highway);

Here’s what it looks like at night time, (take note at 1:04 when the camera transitions between color and black & white when the IR LED’s switch on/off);

Here’s two other alternate mounting locations;

Here’s 7 different POV’s edited into one video from various mounting locations including left & right side views, (day & night time);

-Chuck
Thanks Panzer for the help! I feel the rear mounted position is to my liking as it covers all the doors and since I would only use it for parking surveillance.

Thanks Panzer for the help! I feel the rear mounted position is to my liking as it covers all the doors and since I would only use it for parking surveillance.

Having the interior camera could be useful when driving also; imagine pulling out of a junction while a car is signalling to turn into that same junction, but instead of turning into that junction drives straight pass into you. If you can have video evidence of thar car signalling to turn into that junction, but hits you as the driver shouldn't have used the indicator , that would be helpful.

Having the interior camera could be useful when driving
Correct.
However the Achilles Heel of the A229 Pro is the 60 Mbps Bitrate of the Front 4K camera is cut in "half" to 36 Mbps when the IR Interior camera is connected AND recording.
The rear camera does not affect the front camera's Bitrate because it has it's own processor to "share" the work load.
This is why Viofo added the new IR Interior setting to let users choose when the IR Interior camera records, (driving vs. parking).
In parking mode all camera’s Bitrate drop to 4 Mbps.
-Chuck

Last edited:
Back