Integrating an existing backup camera??

neonlady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and thank you in advance for any help.

I have a small business in which we have staff driving our 2019 Promaster Ram Van. I would like to add a dashboard camera, but want to know if they can be integrated with our existing backup camera as well.

Some additional info:
The van interior is sealed with cedar lined walls and ceilings. There is a bulkhead unit as well (rendering the existing rearview mirror useless except for the backup camera.)

I intend to add an interior cargo video camera and would like for it to record, but may not always have wifi access (am working on that).

The exterior roof has solar panels and an awning, though if separate wiring needs to be run there should be room.

Thank you~

I expect your rear camera to transmit SD Standard Definition video (480p). If this is true then at least in theory is possible to use that video signal to a dual channel dashcam which is using SD video for the rear camera.
Usually I saw such dashcams as rear view mirror dahscams but never used them because are poor quality most of them. You can look for some other dashcams which are showing an outdoor rear camera with 2 wires for connection to the front camera.
Most of forum members will give you advice to buy a standard 2CH dashcam because usually the dashcams with outdoor rear cameras are poor quality and this is not only about a poor image but poor general functioning.
If you can find such device you will need first to find your rear camera video cable and when you are receiving the dashcam to make a test and if not working to send it back without installing it.

If such camera exists I think your biggest problem will be to find a reliable one. If the dashcam is using digital signal for rear camera or if your rear camera is using digital signal then you can not pair them.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It sounds like the simplest way is to install a new camera, as the rear camera may not have been designed as such.

Back