Interesting accessory - has anyone used this?

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 3CH, A139 2CH, Mobius w/ Varifocal Zoom
I was looking into static cling tint again, and stumbled on this:

It looks like it goes above the wipers (inside and outside) and then stops rain settling on it and fogging up on cold mornings.

If this works well, then it basically means I could move my dashcam up high and help with heat issues as well. Downside is you have a round clear circle on your windscreen.

Back in 2019 I did some experimentation with rain repellent and it did improve visibility somewhat, I wonder how this compares - I may have to try it out :D

It might be big enough for Viofo's new telephoto lens, but for most dashcams, it is going to be a smallish circle in the top part of the image, and if you put it low enough so that it is in the centre of the image, it will be a small circle, which will look annoyingly not circular!

I think the wipers and de-mister are a better idea, but it might work well for parking mode...

This product has been discussed on DCT previously, although I don't quite recall what it was called and can't seem to find the old thread(s).

Anyway, it is a product that has been around for quite some time and is available at lower cost than in @joe384's link.

It seems to be mostly marketed for side view mirrors but also works on side windows and possibly windshields.

AFAIK, the blue tint is the protective film you remove before applying the rainproof film which is clear.

Waterproof Film, Anti Fog .jpg

You'll find many offers on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Waterproof+Film,+Anti+Fog&crid=1BMR418K9SV4O&sprefix=waterproof+film,+anti+fog+,aps,230&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

You can get it in much larger sizes than offered by Road Angel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0CNRP8FCJ

rain_film.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it goes above the wipers (inside and outside) and then stops rain settling on it and fogging up on cold mornings.

I have a hunch that windshield wipers might have a problem sweeping back and forth over this stuff and eventually peel it up or perhaps cause some sort of wear and tear on the wiper blades.

Placing the product on the interior of the windshield is probably meant to prevent fogging but I think one's defroster should be all that is necessary. Perhaps they are simply re-marketing a product originally made for two side mirrors and came up with this scheme so that you'd have something to do with the second piece of film? :shifty:

All hunches no testing send us to test teehee

Back