IR illuminators any help?

valleyboy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
G1Wc
Hi, I just bought a pair of G1WC's and plan on mounting one in each vehicle I have but plan on using the "stay home" vehicle as a security cam platform day & night using the motion detection feature.
My question is how effective is an IR floodlight for night recording using this dashcam? I hear some people cut the IR filter lens out of their cameras but I don't want to if I don't have to, so has anyone used a stock GxW in this way and if so did it work well?

My question is how effective is an IR floodlight for night recording using this dashcam?
I'm going to say not at all. I've never turned mine on, and ones i have turned on on other cameras cause Windscreen glare.

Also a DashCam is not a very good security cam. If needing a security cam is a real issue I would install at the least a wireless ip camera and point it at your car if at all possible.

:EDIT:
Love this video
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/6...is-best-for-catching-a-vandal-in-the-act.html

Ok, my dash cam doesn't have the real McCoy IR light built in just a regular white led light so the IR illuminator I'm thinking of would be external/outside & so the glare shouldn't be an issue, I do have a couple of webcams but don't want my PC on 24/7 to record any possible shenanigans, so my plan b is to mount my "truck cam" inside the house with a 12 V battery/adapter then when I do drive the truck just shift it to the dash.....the video is great,I like the way he pronounces "geredge" (garage)!

Back