Is my Dashcam toast?

flyboy320

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've had this dashcam for quite a few years (BlackVue DR3500) and recently the colours are completely off. I have tried different SD cards, updated the firmware and reset to defaults with no fix. This only happens in bright light and sometimes the image is completely pink, it's like the image sensor is "overwhelmed". When it's parked in the garage the image it records is mostly normal.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 3
This is from the troubleshooting guide of a different camera but it would apply to your camera as well.

Q: Playback is erratic or stutters or the playback colors are psychedelic or the video flashes, has corrupted blocks etc.

A: Psychedelic colors may indicate problems with the CMOS lens module.
Make sure the CMOS lens cable is correctly seated and not cracked. The lens
cable is very fragile.

It may be time to consider a new camera, although you could try opening your DR3500 and check to see if the ribbon cable that connects your lens module to the circuit board is seated properly and whether it is still intact and in good condition.

Well I tried what you suggested and took the dashcam apart, but it’s all soldered to the circuit board and no wires as such. Couldn’t see anything wrong so I guess it’s time for new one.

Back