Is she feeling suicidal?

Saj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR550GW

Skip to 35secs.

In hindsight, I should have waved her across?

People these days automatically assume right of way - the old adage of 'stop, look, listen' seems to have gone out of the window.

stop look and listen never existed here in france .......the gendarmes and police make a big show of presenting the permis pieton to schoolchildren its a joke pedestrians of all ages step straight out onto a pedestrian crossing without even looking.....rain hail or shine.If you hit them you are at fault they think its a magic strip on which they have total rights. I once honked at a couple of women who walked straight onto a pedestrian crossing wheeling pushchairs with kids in even though the lights were red for pedestrians and green for traffic....The abuse these two excuses for mothers screamed in response would make the devil blush.......Ipol

I've been driving through France on holiday most years since the early '90's and it's only in the last 2 or 3 years that we've seen French drivers actually stop for pedestrians when they've been waiting to cross on a uncontrolled (no traffic lights) pedestrian crossing.

Today i had a cat with the same attitude, it just arrogantly cruised over the road and not even notised me as i stopped for it.

@ Error7 have you ever fallen foul of the prioritie a droite ........where certain side roads (not all) have the right to pull straight out into a main road be it in town or in the countryside. I have seen many crumpled front wings on foreign cars who's drivers had not been aware of this crazy law.......@ kamkar1 the cat is probably relying on its 9 lives I hope it can count....... Ipol if not :(

@ Error7 have you ever fallen foul of the prioritie a droite ........where certain side roads (not all) have the right to pull straight out into a main road be it in town or in the countryside. I have seen many crumpled front wings on foreign cars who's drivers had not been aware of this crazy law

Very nearly. I have always been aware of the prioritie a droite but rarely come across it these days. However, I am always on the lookout for it in and around small villages and I have to admit that once, about 3 years ago, I was nearly caught out but I managed to stop in time. It is an amazing co-incidence that you mention the prioritie a droite rule because only 30 minutes ago I arrived home from visiting some English friends who lived in France for about 8 years, and we were discussing that very same thing. Spooky! :eek:

I think she can take care of herself :p

But is that a bus stop you're parked against? :eek:

Yes a bus stop sign, but no bus stop, no road markings and was decommissioned years ago by the council, as the road was too narrow for the new buses.

They just need to cut the pole down, I get stick from members of public when I park near it, but silence after I explain!.......

@ Error7 we live a few miles outside of calais and go into town at least twice a week, there are several day trippers each week who fall foul of this traffic law and end up with crumpled wings or doors.In the worse case scenarios one or more of the occupants of both vehicles sustain injuries and finish up in hospital.It turns what should have been a pleasant shopping experience into an expensive nightmare.....Ipol

@ Ipol: We'll be driving through Calais in August so I'll take extra special care ;)

Thanks Russ. I don't usually speed in France because a) Their roads generally have much less traffic than ours and are a pleasure to drive on. b) with the 130 Kph speed limit on most of their motorways, that's fast enough for us old timers. :)

...the 130 Kph speed limit on most of their motorways, that's fast enough for us old timers.

Hmmm ... I'd better not mention the speed I reached on the Autoroute in my M3 on the way to & from the last Le Mans 24 Hours I attended. That was 6 years ago, when policing wasn't quite so rigorous.

@ error7 On some sections of motorway they are experimenting with speed reductions of 20kph from 130kph to 110kph to reduce carbon emissions but I think you get speed limit warning first.....Also on the country or B roads where the limit is 90kph unless a lower limit is stated they are dropping the maximum limit from 90kph to 80kph......I have lost count of the times when driving way out in the country down lanes no larger than a cart track, to suddenly be confronted by a road block consisting of a mix of around a dozen gendarme or police and douane vehicles, and you are in the middle of nowhere no houses no buildings just fields and cows and people in uniforms running around like headless chickens.........ahhhhh now I know why the police in france are called...... poulet.......

Poulet! I like mine roasted :D Thanks for the 80k warning, I didn't know about that.

Back