Is the moveable camera a selling point vs other Viofo?

Oboyoyo234$&

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the moveable camera on the A139 Pro that much of a selling point? How would it compare to the non-movable Viofo camera’s?

All front Viofo cameras can be dismounted, if that is what you mean?
All front Viofo cameras have lens angle adjustment, if that is what you mean?

the query is incomprehensible ! action cameras are not designed for continuous operation and extreme thermal conditions

Last edited:
All front Viofo cameras can be dismounted, if that is what you mean?
All front Viofo cameras have lens angle adjustment, if that is what you mean?
Thank you, I hadn’t looked at all the images to see that

The rear camera have lens angle adjustment too.
If you want a casual recording of the front and back its good but you will have some weird stuff happening and limitations on the SD Cards as sometimes they just don't work with the camera. features are limited for obvious reasons(just to record and save).

I would LOVE Viofo to have a removable magnetic mount.

I would LOVE Viofo to have a removable magnetic mount.
biggest issue is the magnets provided could end up too weak and the camera just fall off the base constantly. good strong magnets would cost quite a penny vs the simple slide on we have right now.

biggest issue is the magnets provided could end up too weak and the camera just fall off the base constantly. good strong magnets would cost quite a penny vs the simple slide on we have right now.
They would have to be strong magnets yes. But I would pay extra for that, if it meant that you could just take it on and off without wearing down the mount. In summer, you just take it off and put inside if you need to.

Strong rare earth neodymium magnets have been used with dash cams. You'll find many examples if you search the DIY sub-forum here on DCT and there have been a few commercial models.

They are really not that expensive and would only add a very modest amount to the cost of a dash cam, especially if purchased in bulk by the manufacturer.

While neodymium magnets can be made to work with a dash cam they are not that practical and that is why we don't usually see them in commercial productions cameras. While they won't "fall off', depending on the camera they can shift slightly with impact and on bumpy roads or gets knocked out of position. Most when people use them it is with small, light weight cameras. Manufacturers seen to prefer secure mounts that stay where they are placed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07PWP9DWC

Strong rare earth neodymium magnets have been used with dash cams. You'll find many examples if you search the DIY sub-forum here on DCT and there have been a few commercial models.

They are really not that expensive and would only add a very modest amount to the cost of a dash cam, especially if purchased in bulk by the manufacturer.

While neodymium magnets can be made to work with a dash cam they are not that practical and that is why we don't usually see them in commercial productions cameras. While they won't "fall off', depending on the camera they can shift slightly with impact and on bumpy roads or gets knocked out of position. Most when people use them it is with small, light weight cameras. Manufacturers seen to prefer secure mounts that stay where they are placed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07PWP9DWC
For companies that are looking for a bigger margin, and the current state of the economic squeeze, there is clearly a good enough reason why Viofo will feel that changing the mount and base to cost more. Likely most of the cost is not going to come from the magnets but the changes in manufacturing and development of the new base and magnet placements to prevent interference with the wifi module and such. another point is having a strong tight connection to the dash or windshield would reduce small vibrations from causing the video quality to suffer. Plus if there is underpowered magnets introduced that will make the camera recieve bad reputation where the OG physical mount is tried and tested to perform functionally the same or better. From Viofo's perspective, there is not enough incentive to introduce a magnetic base.

I don't want a magnetic base. I want a base that is tight and strongly adhered to my windshield to reduce the vibrations for greater camera quality.

For companies that are looking for a bigger margin, and the current state of the economic squeeze, there is clearly a good enough reason why Viofo will feel that changing the mount and base to cost more. Likely most of the cost is not going to come from the magnets but the changes in manufacturing and development of the new base and magnet placements to prevent interference with the wifi module and such. another point is having a strong tight connection to the dash or windshield would reduce small vibrations from causing the video quality to suffer. Plus if there is underpowered magnets introduced that will make the camera recieve bad reputation where the OG physical mount is tried and tested to perform functionally the same or better. From Viofo's perspective, there is not enough incentive to introduce a magnetic base.

I don't want a magnetic base. I want a base that is tight and strongly adhered to my windshield to reduce the vibrations for greater camera quality.

I would agree with much of what you say here.

I was primarily responding to your comment that "good strong magnets would cost quite a penny" which is not accurate. Their cost would be trivial to the overall cost of camera manufacture. Neodymium magnets are relatively inexpensive and they are quite strong. Depending on the grade used they can be quite difficult to pull apart from one another and you'd need to slide them apart with force, so vibrations be unlikely with a proper design.

Magnets do not affect WiFi or GPS signals. WiFi signals are carried by radio waves, which are photons. Magnetic fields only affect charged particles, and photons have no charge. A magnetic field will not block a radio wave, so magnets won’t block WiFi signals, GPS or cell phones. There would be no radio interference issues placing a magnet in a dash cam mount.

Aside from the cost of the magnet, the cost of designing and manufacturing the mount would be no more or less than designing and manufacturing any other dash camera mount. Each new Viofo mount may be somewhat similar to other Viofo mounts but they are not the same with each new camera.

Still, I don't believe neodymium magnets are a practical approach for dash cam mounts. Like you I believe that dash cams should have a solid attachment to the windshield.

Last edited:
Disagree guys, The magnet would not be the only point of contact. It could slide on a physical rail and have the magnet there for attachment.
To grab the camera off the mount is actually quite easy.
From the videos I have seen vibrations are not an issue.
A few videos... happy to see some proving otherwise..

removable cam -
...7 year old video...lol watch 10 seconds when he dismounts...

watch 10 seconds as he mounts it on magnetic mount. - (Ignore nextbase cam :sick:)

From the videos I have seen vibrations are not an issue.

None of those camera designs will ever be as secure and stable as a wedge camera or other design mounted directly on the glass. Anything on a stalk is inherently prone to vibrations even without the magnet. Often such vibrations are on a frequency that can make them hard to notice but they can indeed subtly affect the sharpness of your videos.

Another factor is the type of conditions one drives in. For example, I live in a rural area on a bumpy dirt and gravel road on a mountain and even on paved roads there are times when shocks and vibrations can be an issue such as during snow and icy conditions we experience in winter. Even driving on typical urban and suburban roads can cause shocks and vibrations such a when you go over expansion joints on bridges, railroad tracks or potholes. It took me many years of using all kinds of different style dash camera mounts to conclude that you simply can't have a mount that is too secure. I did have some success using very powerful neodymium magnets with a Mobius camera which is tiny and very light weight but even then it was questionable and I eventually abandoned the idea. Most of today's cameras are larger and heavier, and some 4K cams have substantial heat sinks and this would make using a magnetic mount even more challenging. And it is not just vibrations. In a car accident where there is a significant impact a camera with a magnetic mount can separate from its mount.

In the Nextbase video you posted the camera appears quite loose after the guy mounts it and even the simple act of just running his finger over the camera causes it to shift and move around. Interestingly, the other videos you posted are 7 and 8 years old and those cameras are either not made anymore or never designed to be used with magnetic mounts in the first place. Amusingly, one of those videos was created by a DCT member who was in the habit of scouring the DIY sub-forum for other peoples ideas and projects that he could copy for the purpose of monetizing on YouTube. Designing and building something that was truly secure and stable was never really his goal.

Personally, I would avoid such mounts at all costs.

Of course, anyone who wants to use a magnetic camera mount should do as they please but I would advise against it in favor of something that is rock solid and secure in all conditions.

Last edited:
None of those camera designs will ever be as secure and stable as a wedge camera or other design mounted directly on the glass. Anything on a stalk is inherently prone to vibrations even without the magnet. Often such vibrations are on a frequency that can make them hard to notice but they can indeed subtly affect the sharpness of your videos.

Another factor is the type of conditions one drives in. For example, I live in a rural area on a bumpy dirt and gravel road on a mountain and even on paved roads there are times when shocks and vibrations can be an issue such as during snow and icy conditions we experience in winter. Even driving on typical urban and suburban roads can cause shocks and vibrations such a when you go over expansion joints on bridges, railroad tracks or potholes. It took me many years of using all kinds of different style dash camera mounts to conclude that you simply can't have a mount that is too secure. I did have some success using very powerful neodymium magnets with a Mobius camera which is tiny and very light weight but even then it was questionable and I eventually abandoned the idea. Most of today's cameras are larger and heavier, and some 4K cams have substantial heat sinks and this would make using a magnetic mount even more challenging. And it is not just vibrations. In a car accident where there is a significant impact a camera with a magnetic mount can separate from its mount.

In the Nextbase video you posted the camera appears quite loose after the guy mounts it and even the simple act of just running his finger over the camera causes it to shift and move around. Interestingly, the other videos you posted are 7 and 8 years old and those cameras are either not made anymore or never designed to be used with magnetic mounts in the first place. Amusingly, one of those videos was created by a DCT member who was in the habit of scouring the DIY sub-forum for other peoples ideas and projects that he could copy for the purpose of monetizing on YouTube. Designing and building something that was truly secure and stable was never really his goal.

Personally, I would avoid such mounts at all costs.

Of course, anyone who wants to use a magnetic camera mount should do as they please but I would advise against it in favor of something that is rock solid and secure in all conditions.
Thanks for the comments but maybe I need to elaborate a bit more.
Yes, I agree with the mount should not be on a stork.
The videos I posted were just broad examples to get the brain juices firing for ideas.

What I am talking about is everyone putting their heads together to make a mount similar to the ones Viofo have now, but be ASSISTED with a magnetic mount.
So have the guides there that slide the cam on to the mount but once it reaches its stop point, the magnet takes over and secures it in place. The weight and stability is taken by the mount and the lock in is the job of the magnet.
So to EASILY get the cam off, all you need to do is pull it away from the magnet and slide the camera off.
The wedge shape is great and is the best for stealth and hiding behind the dot matrix screen behind rear view mirror, but if we constantly slide the very tight fitting (Current mount) off and on all the time, how long will it be till it wears out?
A magnetic mount (Designed well) would eliminate this wear and tear.

Another thing I thought of was maybe having 2 attachments... 1 for the back of the camera and 1 for the mount.
That way, those separate attachments/plates can be replaced because they are the things that have the wear and tear and can be replaced easily. Unlike the camera and the GPS (stuck on) mount.
I am not an engineer or designer, but I jotted this down ...not sure if it is doable or viable.

Attachments

• mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Well, my Viofo cameras slide onto and off of their mounts really rather easily and they are nice and secure, so I'm not sure what a magnetic assist would add to the equation . Then again, if you have a concept or design you could show us or further explain in more detail I'd love to see it or hear more about it.

BTW, with the slide-on design like Viofo and other manufacturers use all of them seem to start out pretty stiff and they can indeed be a little difficult to mount and unmount but over time they break in and the procedure becomes much easier and smoother.

BTW, with the slide-on design like Viofo and other manufacturers use all of them seem to start out pretty stiff and they can indeed be a little difficult to mount and unmount but over time they break in and the procedure becomes much easier and smoother.
Ok, we shall see if my mount gets easier over time, as I am constantly going to need to un mount it.
Just hope there is not to much wear and tear that it becomes loose or rattles etc..having to replace (Later) the heavily stuck on mount from the black matrix dots.
(y)
You are right about the weight with heat sinks...those a229 plus' are hefty little suckers.

Last edited:
Just hope there is not to much wear and tear that it becomes loose or rattles etc..

I don't know if it is still the case but Viofo dash cams always came with several pieces of thin EVA foam that you apply to the back of the camera mount. The foam cushions the camera and prevents rattles. It eventually flattens out a bit and this is part of the breaking in process. You can buy EVA foam sheets on Amazon and elsewhere if you ever experience a loose or rattling dash cam and don't have any factory supplied ones.

I don't know if it is still the case but Viofo dash cams always came with several pieces of thin EVA foam that you apply to the back of the camera mount. The foam cushions the camera and prevents rattles. It eventually flattens out a bit and this is part of the breaking in process. You can buy EVA foam sheets on Amazon and elsewhere if you ever experience a loose or rattling dash cam and don't have any factory supplied ones.

No, Viofo did not come with foam pads, which is pretty bad. I mean a few cents to throw one in the package?

Also, I honestly cannot believe that they don't come with a few little black clips with sticky pads to secure the cables.... a few cents to produce. I am not paying $11 for 5 little plastic clips that cost a few cents to produce, just out of principle.
Viofo, just put the foam pad and 3 clips in the box...surely not that hard.

@VIOFO-Support could have at least thrown in 3 tiny clips. Pretty bad they don't.

Attachments

• clips.png
    clips.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This mount seems pretty secure.
I think Viofo can come up with OR improve on this.
I am not saying to copy it...but maybe something like it with a small magnet to keep it in place.
See how there are rails...
anyway, just throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks..lol Always good to talk about.

Last edited:
No, Viofo did not come with foam pads, which is pretty bad. I mean a few cents to throw one in the package?

They used to come with two or three pieces of EVO foam in the box. Plus cable clips and a spare sticky pad!

P.S. You can find better prices on cable clips at eBay or AliExpress.

Back