Is the rear IMX291 camera good enough?

guest28127

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you folks feel about the rear IMX291, is it good enough or a bit dated for 2023? Does operating the A139 Pro in 2 ch mode introduce more stability/overheating and would you ideally run a IMX678 A139 Pro in 1 ch mode for your rear camera as well, if money wasn't an issue?

Thanks

Does operating the A139 Pro in 2 ch mode introduce more stability/overheating
Based on my personal experience with dash cams since 2020, ALL multi-channel dash cams are more susceptible to recording malfunctions, and other issues compared to single channel configuration.
Ever since I tested the A139 Pro I have only ever recommended that camera in 1-channel configuration.
Right now my favorite dash cam based on image quality is the A119 Mini 2.
I have observed better NIGHT TIME & LOW LIGHT image quality with the Mini 2 over the A139 Pro.
But, the A139 Pro is best during DAYTIME, and good lighting conditions.

I compared it to the Starvis 2 in the A119 Mini 2 here:

I think the IMX291 is still very good.

I have observed better NIGHT TIME & LOW LIGHT image quality with the Mini 2 over the A139 Pro.
thank you for your response, I wonder why that is, given A139 Pro's superior IMX678 sensor? Possibly a case where firmware needs to be improved?

thank you for your response, I wonder why that is, given A139 Pro's superior IMX678 sensor? Possibly a case where firmware needs to be improved?
It's the same issue the A129 Pro 4K faced in 2019.
4K image quality suffers in low light conditions.
In order for 4K to provide good results it needs lots of light.
This is what I've observed with my testing.
2K image quality suffers LESS in low light conditions.

Looking over your videos it really does seem like the new A119 Mini 2 is the best Viofo camera in terms of IQ
It's the same issue the A129 Pro 4K faced in 2019.
4K image quality suffers in low light conditions.
In order for 4K to provide good results it needs lots of light.
This is what I've observed with my testing.
2K image quality suffers LESS in low light conditions.
Your posts, videos and that of others have convinced me to be in the A119 Mini 2 superiority camp. 4K dashcams just don't seem to be ready for prime time, IMO, and even if the video IQ was better in all lighting conditions, I'm not sure I would trust how well these cameras handle thermals. One can buy two A119 Mini 2's for about the price of one A139 Pro single channel. It does seem that the A139 Pro has better daytime performance and most car accidents peak at afternoon rush hour in these United States, but of course you can never predict when you might get into an accident, best to have a camera that has best overall video IQ in all lighting conditions.

I expect that 30 fps or even 24 fps gives better results than 60 fps because less light needed, but I have not tested that.

Based on my personal experience with dash cams since 2020, ALL multi-channel dash cams are more susceptible to recording malfunctions, and other issues compared to single channel configuration.
Ever since I tested the A139 Pro I have only ever recommended that camera in 1-channel configuration.
Right now my favorite dash cam based on image quality is the A119 Mini 2.
But, the A139 Pro is best during DAYTIME, and good lighting conditions.
Our latest firmware 0615 has improved a lot in exposure on A139Pro actually. It is highly recommended to update it to test again. :D

Back