Is there ANY dashcam that isn't a total piece of cr@p

Raptor1956

Reaction score
Country
United States
A little over a year ago I picked up the then new Mini 0806 and is was a steaming t^rd so I sent it back. I then went a bit more upscale and got the Blackvue DR600GW-HD and at first it worked just fine. Then the GPS got a bit spotty but before long the GPS only worked on occasion. I haven't used it in a while and when I went to use it today it seemed to power up with the power LED on and the little blue light on the side but I never got the 'For your safe driving..." startup message. There was no video on the uSD card and no files of any kind.

So, I'm now without a dashcam and have no idea that there is even a single model worth my time. So far I'm batting 0 for 2 and I'm not sure I'm all that ready to go 0 for 3. But, I do like having a dashcam particularly when I'm about to take a road trip.

Brian

I have multiple dash cams that have worked in a tractor trailer for over a year, usually running 24/7 for most of that time. One mobius is two years old.

I like my gt680w's. One is past year two and the other in in year two.

I just bought a gt880s for my wife. It locked gps perfectly. The OBD connection makes for an easy hard wire. I'll likely get another for the company car.

My Gs9000 is glitchy with respect to power connection.

All are battery units and need a good soaking charge before they behave.

A good thread here on gps discusses time to lock which can be 15 minutes for first time. I imagine a reset or back from dead battery may experience similar "first time" delay.

I have had my ThinkWare F750 for a couple weeks and so far I have been happy with it. It is hard-wired and runs automatically so I don't have to worry about charging or turning it on. It just works. The only issue I have was getting the map to work in the viewing program on my computer, in another thread here that was figured out.

On my F750 the unit reports GPS lock before I can leave the garage, usually in seconds. It has no display but hides nicely behind the mirror. I can quickly review a video with my iPhone or just pull the SD Card and pop it in the laptop.

So far I think it was well worth the $300.

My Panorama II/S's have been motoring along since July 2014 since and even on the original 32Gb SD cards. I am sure that one day they will reach the end of their serviceable life but so far so good. I decided on these after reading the reviews and am quite satisfied. Hopefully you will find something reliable!

My Panorama II/S's have been motoring along since July 2014 since and even on the original 32Gb SD cards. I am sure that one day they will reach the end of their serviceable life but so far so good. I decided on these after reading the reviews and am quite satisfied. Hopefully you will find something reliable!

I have been "married" to so called "Panorama-series" ( now Street Guardian ) based on Zoran Coach CPU dashcams for about 3-4y, and I must say it is one of the most reliable working horses out there. Only very few minor reports which is within normal % of any product. Yeah, "Panorama" ( SGZC12Sg / SS ) maybe a little bit bigger in size than "wedge-style" or Mini-style dashcams, but at least they are simple to use and proven to be reliable.

My G1W lasted about 2 years, which was great for something that was a cheap 1080 cam with no GPS or parking mode. Before that I had a crappy k2000 clone that didn't last long.

the issue with cheap camera, even if you bought from a recommended vendor, is you are bound to get a lemon or 2.

My G1W lasted about 2 years, which was great for something that was a cheap 1080 cam with no GPS or parking mode. Before that I had a crappy k2000 clone that didn't last long.

the issue with cheap camera, even if you bought from a recommended vendor, is you are bound to get a lemon or 2.

First few productions of G1W ( original manufacturer ) overall were quite good and many last till now. Later copied samples are hit and miss for the quality.

the mobius is good,
I have also used a DBpower sj4000 in a suction cup mount with some pretty good success.
in my experience the best dashcams are not the purpose built dashcams but the action cams used as a dashcam.

+1 Mobius. About a year in a rough-riding work truck including hot summer heat. Never a hiccup.

Phil

I had a good run with the mini series on the beginning but in later years the reliability seemed to go downhill. Now using SG9665GC cams in my cars and the trucks at work and they are brilliant.

Discreet OEM looking form factor with a nice cable tidy cover, brilliant low light performance, comes with a lot of extras in the box including a very useful dongle which allows you to watch footage straight onto your phone or tablet, can be used as a webcam and the most importantly the customer support is fast and second to none that I've experienced with anything.

I will say that the pilot dashcam is junk, I work at Walmart and the number of those things that get returned as claims for not working is unreal

Back