Issue with dashcam power

Bertiee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, however it seemed closer to hardwiring and batteries than anything else!

Bit of an odd one but I can't figure this out. I have two cars, a VW Touran and a Seat Altea. Both have Nextbase dashcams powered through the cigarette lighter. The one in the Altea stopped coming on automatically, but was fine when I turned it on manually which I thought would be a power issue. I've checked the cigarette lighter using a tyre pump and that works, and I've checked the cable as it worked fine in the Touran. I've also tried switching the cable / camera from the Touran into the Altea and that doesn't work. I'd have thought perhaps a fuse issue, but the fact that the pump worked suggests that the cigarette lighter is working fine.

Hope that makes sense! Anyone got an ideas what the problem could be?

How are you turning it on manually? By pulling the male cigarette lighter plug and re-inserting it? Perhaps.. the plug is not making proper contact. Can you confirm with a meter that you have power at the camera end of the plug while you think it should have power.

How are you turning it on manually? By pulling the male cigarette lighter plug and re-inserting it? Perhaps.. the plug is not making proper contact. Can you confirm with a meter that you have power at the camera end of the plug while you think it should have power.

I can turn it on manually on the camera itself, however when you plug it in the camera should come on of it's own accord.

Unfortunately I can't confirm anything with a meter as I don't have one. It's all very odd - I've managed to get it working now with another cable (from a 15 year old sat nav!), but I still have no idea why the other ones don't work when they're absolutely fine in my car, particularly when the problem cable / camera has been working and stayed plugged in for months. There's also two cigarette lighter sockets in the car and the other one didn't work either, so I don't think it's a connection issue. All very strange

Is there a setting on the camera to turn on by default? Looking at some of the installation videos there is mention of an auto off, a setting that seems to vary if you have it hard wired or not. Just making wild guesses here..

I think the issue is with the car battery since that's now died!

I had camera issues a few years ago, with a car battery from 2012 that in no way seemed to be dying as it showed fine voltages and was charged just fine, but putting in a new battery did fix that problem i had.
I still find it very strange as the battery was good / seemed good, and i tried things like boot delay which mean the camera come on a few seconds later when the car are up and running making +14 volts
But none of that worked, only a new battery.

Back