ITB-100HD - Alternative to Uninterrupted Power Cable?

pandan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I just purchased a Itronics ITB-100HD and everything is looking good so far. When reading up on the product there was an option for Uninterrupted Power Cable which I did not opt for, (did not want to fiddle with car's battery). If I still wish to use the camera's parking mode, is there an alternative?

Would a portable rechargeable Battery Pack do the trick? What would be one that is compatible to the ITB-100HD?

The T-Power C is the most popular battery pack for dash cams. Unfortunately I don't have much info on how it performs.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks for the link and input guys.

I'll bite the bullet on this since it looks to fit my needs at the moment. Looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/140825589211

there seems to be an option for optional cable, which type is fit for the ITB-100HD?

Hi pandan,

The optional cable is used to connect the battery to the camera, since you won't be able to use the original power cord with the cigarette adapter. I think the power supply cable for the ITB-100HD is 3.5 mm in diameter but I haven't measured it so I'm not 100% sure.

Dash Cam Man

I recommend to buy some Uninterrupted Power Cable (UPC) only if you have a weak battery or if you leave your car without driving it more than 4-5 days. If you drive your car daily or each 4-5 days is not needed anything to protect your battery. If you have a weak battery better buy a new one instead of buying the UPC to save it for few weeks from trash.

Regarding the ITV-80 Uninterrupted Power Cable (UPC) I made a mod to avoid using the original "cigarette jack cord" even I can use it connected to the ITV-80.
I just added to the UPC a new connector and the whole ITV-80 is hidden under the courtesy light of the car. Under the roof is my custom cable going from the UPC to the dashcam. In almost all cars there is a lot of space to hide your UPC under the roof near the interior map light and also you can take the power from there if you are lucky and have permanent power there.

Here are two pictures with the ITV-80 modified with my custom added cable and connector.

If you like my mod and want to create your custom cable, go with your ITB-100HD to some electrical shop and buy the right connector and a cable with 2 wires. From outside some connectors match but the problem is the inside hole which can be different. For this reason is better to take the dashcam with you.

Of course you can put the ITV-80 somewhere near the fuses box and from there to use the original "cigarette jack cord". With my mod I can take my dashcam to another cars sometimes and use the original power cord.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• ITV-80_1_.jpg
    ITV-80_1_.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 2,893
  • ITV-80_2_.jpg
    ITV-80_2_.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 2,892
Thanks Mtz,

Great modification and thanks for sharing. I also agree that daily driving does not require a "power magic" device. If your car has a strong battery, it should easily last for multiple days.

Dash Cam Man

Is the "uninterrupted power cable" just used as a low battery cutoff? (So it won't kill your car battery?)
If so, here is a nice alternative. Altronix Low Power Disconnect Module: (I have no affiliation with this vendor, but I can vouch that they successfully shipped my order.)
http://www.drillspot.com/products/63997 ... ect_module
The default cutoff is around 10.5V, which was a bit low for my taste. I was able to change out the 1K potentiometer with a 10K linear potentiometer. This allowed me to set the cutoff to around 12.0V (That way, it will dip very slightly into the battery and definitely be on when the car is running / 14.2V with alternator going.)
It looks like they're just using an op-amp with voltage reference and an NPN transistor to control the relay. (This seems to be a common design.) I've also seen designs that make use of the op-amp inside of a 555 timer chip.

I've got the Altronix LPD tucked away in the ceiling crevice near my 2001 Honda Civic's dome light. (I'm tapping into one of the 12V "always on" wires there.) It's been working great thus far. (I also taped up the Altronix LPD to electrically insulate it.) I paid about $20 shipped and they delivered it in 7 business days. If you want to wait a bit longer, I think some vendors go a bit cheaper in price. ($10 to $15 range.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure are a lot of UPCs in the word. But will be better if not electronic knowledge will be needed to have the desired results. Just buy and use.

Back to the iTronics UPC: there are two modes, by voltage AND (not or!) by time. You can't choose only one of them. So the longest stand by time can be up to 48 hours even your battery is good and will not go under 11.2V for example. So if you want to use the ITB more than two days in parking mode you will need another UPC or to use it directly.

Hi YowzaGrimace,

The Uninterrupted Power Supply is a low battery cutoff. As mentioned by mtz, It has one additional feature where it turns off the camera after a set period of time (48 hours for the Itronics one). The BlackVue Power Magic's timer is 72 hours and the BlackVue Power Magic Pro can go up to 120 hours (or you can turn the timer off). The Power Magic and Power Magic Pro, work with the ITB-100HD.

Thanks for providing this cheaper DIY alternative.

Dash Cam Man

Well done.
I hope you will find cheaper solutions without DYI, like this

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi mtz,

Yes cheaper solutions without DIY would be great. The one you linked to for $20 appears to have too low a voltage cut-off at 11.2v.

I'm not an expert in this area but from my research from this site and this this site indicates you will have a dead battery somewhere between 11.5v and 11.7v.

I'll keep my eyes open for a cheaper solution. Right now the Blackvue Power Magic seems like the best buy at $35.

Dash Cam Man

The T-Power C is the most popular battery pack for dash cams

Oh, no, please! :o
Almost $100 for a battery pack which have 500 Number of Cycles?
Offering 20 hours of power for the dashcam?
What if parking 19 hours and then driving just 15 minutes? Is the T-Power C charged and prepared for another 20 hours?

A normal car battery have a lot number of charging cycles (from the normal 2-5%) and in 20 hours is not going empty if using a dashcam. But if the battery is poor, too old, if in 20 hours it become empty, you must buy another car battery because its life is not longer from that day.

If I am wrong, please correct me, I am not good in electronics, but just using my brain. :lol:

enjoy,
Mtz

Does the Power Magic pro actually prevent the cam from rebooting when you start the car? This could be another reason for an UPC (Actually, the only reason that would make me buy one since I'm skilled enough to hardwire the cam myself).

Save your money and read here.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I know exactly how a car electrical system works and where to tap. But my point is that when the starter is cranking, multiple cars batteries cannot provide enough voltage to "keep" the cam working without rebooting. I have a boost gauge in my car wired to a "hot in run and start" fuse and it still goes off then on when I start the car. I don't want to make the dash cam "endure" this as it will probably reboot also due to low voltage (I still haven't tried the actual cam though, this is based on my boost gauge behavior).

I think the voltage steps are too big: 11V 12V 13V. Missing important values between 11V and 12V. I know is dangerous to set for example even 11.8V but maybe some people want it.
But for the 12V fans I think it is OK.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back