ITB-100HD Creates whining sound

Scrap74

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have successfully installed a ITB-100HD dashcam with UPS. Works quite well and I am trying to work out the best resolution, SD card size and a few other aspects. I'm thinking of how I can mount a second hand hard drive to provide a massive amount of storage space - but that's off the topic of this question.

When the 100HD is recording and the vehicle is moving, it is creating a whirring/whining/buzzing/electrical interference noise that is audible within the cabin and is also recorded onto the card.

The noise is escalated as the vehicle accelerates - imagine a dodgey diff whine.

1. It happens with, or without the UPS system
2. It stops I unplug the power to the camera
3. It is audible inside the cabin, just loud enough to hear and annoy me

Ideas?

Have you tried it in another car to see if the problem is still there?

Nope, have not tried in another vehicle. Good idea. Unfortunately for me I will need to unwire the install.

jimjones said:
Sounds like a wiring problem

I have successfully installed a ITB-100HD
Perhaps you haven't.

Yes could be. If so, its most likely a problem with the car wiring as it produced the same whine when plugged directly into the cig lighter.

Sounds like some type of ground loop, with the noise coming from the car chime speaker (your door/seatbelt speaker). You also don't mention what ups your using-is it a magic pro or the itronics?

It seems like your cig lighter circuit may not be fully isolated.

A very quick check would be to run direct to car battery for 12 v and ground and see if the noise disappears. . If it doesn't go away, your cam isn't right and is creating some interference. If it goes away, divide and conquer.Reconnect the 12+ to your tap point but keep the ground direct to battery. Check for noise. No noise, put the ground back on your ground tap point. If the noise comes back, leave a ground direct to the battery.

Hope this helps.

Trying looking in to the suppressor (small bullet shape component found in engine bay). Google for your vehicle.

Could it be an air vent? When I was testing my camera I had temporarily placed it on my dash, and I was getting a constant whirring sound. The sound went away when i properly mounted the camera on the windshield. I figured the sound may have been an air vent since my vents were close to it.

Good to hear that I am not the only one that's hearing a whirring noise from the stereo, I think... I was almost certain it started after I installed my Itronics. Unfortunately I can't try in another car. Let me know if you find a solution.

I can hear a faint high pitch 'whine' that relates to throttle position too, although it does not seem to come through the stereo. I have not chased it down yet, but my first thought is to attribute it to the built in 'supercapacitor', which the ITB uses to store enough energy to finish data writes for ~5 or so seconds after the power is cut (such as in after a crash that takes out the car battery). My solid state drive in my computer has a supercap as a built-in UPS for a similar reason, and I can sometimes faintly hear it 'squeal down' when powering off.

I'll have a look at mine in the next few days and see if I can tell if it's the cap, or if maybe there's some RF interference being put out due to lack of shielding, and report back :)

Cheers,

Tom

YW84U said:
I can hear a faint high pitch 'whine' that relates to throttle position too, although it does not seem to come through the stereo. I have not chased it down yet, but my first thought is to attribute it to the built in 'supercapacitor', which the ITB uses to store enough energy to finish data writes for ~5 or so seconds after the power is cut (such as in after a crash that takes out the car battery). My solid state drive in my computer has a supercap as a built-in UPS for a similar reason, and I can sometimes faintly hear it 'squeal down' when powering off.

I'll have a look at mine in the next few days and see if I can tell if it's the cap, or if maybe there's some RF interference being put out due to lack of shielding, and report back :)

Cheers,

Tom

It sounds like alternator wine. It can be verified by using a different power source for testing. If your alternator was not inline it would go away saying that this can be filtered with a capacitor across the power leads.

Back