It's not the firmware, it's the camera

EIS v2.0, active WiFi connection and placing SJ7 inside waterproof case are definitely too much for our camera. Did somebody get any answer from SJCAM regarding heat issue? Last 2 months more than 5 firmware versions appeared (most of them were betas). Everything has stopped after fw v1.20. Is this the end of SJ7 support?

A new SJ7 firmware is coming, but I don't know what all it will entail.

-Nate

Glad to hear that. Thank you for the info.
Yes, it will fix some minor bugs and we may get a tester's version with Landscape and Effect modes... not ETA on the later though...

You cant really do anything about heat generation i think, unless you can under clock / under volt the SOC with firmware, and i dont think that's the case.

Might be possible to do that, but you would have to give away performance to do it, can't see that happening

Does this mean that official firmware (v1.2) destroys our camera and nobody from SJCAM doesn't say anything about this issue? Melt your SJ7 and buy SJ8.

How about Yi 4k +? It records at a top rate of 135 Mbps. And DCT forum members are pushing it to 200Mbps+!

Does this mean that official firmware (v1.2) destroys our camera and nobody from SJCAM doesn't say anything about this issue? Melt your SJ7 and buy SJ8.
Your unit may have an issue. For most intensive purposes, the heating issue has been resolved. Please email miguel@sjcamhd.com and we can confirm if you need to ship sj7 back for replacement.

Thanks!

How about Yi 4k +? It records at a top rate of 135 Mbps. And DCT forum members are pushing it to 200Mbps+!

How are they able to get it up that high? Does quality lack when you do that? How about heating?

Modified firmware.
Not really sure what gains there are at those numbers as the people trying it dont have a second camera recording with default settings.
Also not sure about temperatures i would assume they ramp up as you rise the bitrate just like CPU temperatures do as you increase clock speed.

See in the yi 4k + column : yi 4k+ bitrate mod and firmware unpacker thread! irungentoo DCT member:
He has a video showing visibly more clarity with his autoexec.ash file changes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Modified firmware.
Not really sure what gains there are at those numbers as the people trying it dont have a second camera recording with default settings.
Also not sure about temperatures i would assume they ramp up as you rise the bitrate just like CPU temperatures do as you increase clock speed.
Interesting... did someone hack it or did YI release it?

Yeah its hacked, there are some people around that do amazing work with firmwares, and not just ramping up a few numbers, Falsificator do interesting work with image quality too.
it mostly appear to be ambarella firmware, but Novatek are also getting attention now it seem.

Some times i wish i was nerdy on that level, but due to 9,5 years of very bad school experiences i am only able to skim written work.
Actually all things considered i am personally amazed i have managed to do so well educating myself since then, but then again those educations have most been focused on practical skills and not so much work with books.
I have never been good at sitting down, not even now where age and my physical condition dont allow for as much as in the good old days.

See in the yi 4k + column : yi 4k+ bitrate mod and firmware unpacker thread! irungentoo DCT member:
He has a video showing visibly more clarity with his autoexec.ash file changes!

If the hackers can do it, why don't the companies? (Unless it harms the camera). Action cam companies lose nothing by bringing their A game. Makes me think a mod like this may damage the camera. They had hacks like this for Canon cameras, called "Magic Lantern". Canon cameras could do a lot more and the hacks showed it.

-Nate

Thats why i have a love / hate relationship with hackers and crackers, some times they do awesome work that's usable, other times their work are a travesty and a outright crime.
And no matter what route liability are not their thing, and i cant but help think what if they focused their creativity and skill into a regular job.

Myself i have successfully been overclocking my computers to gain more performance for years / almost all the time i have been on PC, and you did gain some by running a 1400 mhz dualcore CPU at 2500 mhz.
But with my latest computers i dont do stuff like that as i dont feel it is worth the effort anymore, or perhaps its just my interests that have diverted into other stuff.

Ximode and Yimax for the Yi original cam have added features that ,apparently the Manufacturer is not willing to add-in to the firmware, through the use of an autoexec.ash file to increase the bitrate , ordering the cam to make full use of the sensor for more sky in a 4:3 image, or other exposure features and have increased the usability of the cam.
And if you don't like the changes -delete the .ash file that the cam reads when it comes on line.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I remember the original YI had quite a few roms....

Back