i've flashed a wrong firmware

catalin

Reaction score
Greetings,
I have recently bought a DS1000 from DealExtreme. It "was" an "old blue menu" camera but had a little problems when charged. So I decided to change firmware but i wasn't paying so much attention to details and I have flashed the "new blue menu". ( i thought this is in update, but later that day i saw the message: "The firmware is not compatible between the versions." Now the camera starts but that's all. After a while a white screen appears and nothing more.
I have written the "autoexec.ash" with firmfl blabla ... , tried to use all firmware names (firmware.bin; vfirmware.bin; yamaha.bin; texet.bin) with and without autoexec file but no upgrade for me. When the SD card is formatted with windows, at the very first time when inside camera, two folders are created. But it won't look up for firmware files...
Is the any way that I could revert to v2.0.3SG1KB.bin ?

Thanks,

catalin said:
Greetings,
I have recently bought a DS1000 from DealExtreme. It "was" an "old blue menu" camera but had a little problems when charged. So I decided to change firmware but i wasn't paying so much attention to details and I have flashed the "new blue menu". ( i thought this is in update, but later that day i saw the message: "The firmware is not compatible between the versions." Now the camera starts but that's all. After a while a white screen appears and nothing more.
I have written the "autoexec.ash" with firmfl blabla ... , tried to use all firmware names (firmware.bin; vfirmware.bin; yamaha.bin; texet.bin) with and without autoexec file but no upgrade for me. When the SD card is formatted with windows, at the very first time when inside camera, two folders are created. But it won't look up for firmware files...
Is the any way that I could revert to v2.0.3SG1KB.bin ?

Thanks,

Hi catalin,

It is unfortunate that you installed the wrong firmware. If the firmfl command is not working, the only option you have left is the DirectUSB. Note that recent cameras have not been responding to this software (AMBA device not found). The camera needs to be in USB Boot mode for it to work with DirectUSB. Then the computer should recognize the Ambarella Evaluation Board and install the driver.

To get it into USB boot mode for the blue menu, press and hold the OK button, connect to the computer, then press the power button. Hold for three seconds then release the buttons. Unfortunately, different cameras require different commands to get into USB Boot Mode and I haven't figured out when to use the OK button and power button, vs the Snap button and reset or a combination of these. Perhaps as more users provide feedback, we can understand how to get this working across a broad range of Ambarella A2 cameras.

Good luck with the DirectUSB method.

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan, thanks a lot my friend. It was just like you said! the OK button, connected to PC, and then flashing new firmware. But, before this I had some trouble getting the camera connected.
DirectUSB crashed in the middle of update. I have managed to EraseFlash and then, at about 50% the program crashed. From that point I was unable to connect my camera to PC and the only workaround was to disconnect the internal battery. After that, it worked as a charm!

Know it's working as desiged :) You can't imagine how happy I am!

Thanks a lot,
Catalin from Bucharest/Romania

catalin said:
DashCamMan, thanks a lot my friend. It was just like you said! the OK button, connected to PC, and then flashing new firmware. But, before this I had some trouble getting the camera connected.
DirectUSB crashed in the middle of update. I have managed to EraseFlash and then, at about 50% the program crashed. From that point I was unable to connect my camera to PC and the only workaround was to disconnect the internal battery. After that, it worked as a charm!

Know it's working as desiged :) You can't imagine how happy I am!

Thanks a lot,
Catalin from Bucharest/Romania

Great news Catalin. Glad you were able to unbrick it.

Dash Cam Man

Back