Just got my SG9665GC

Dano28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just got my new cam today and have a few questions as this is my first dash cam..

What are the benefits of hardwiring over using the cigarette lighter charger if any?

Cig lighter cable says double protected ferrite core but the hardwire doesn't, would both be ok with DAB signal?

Also once I have some footage how do I view what's on the card on my Windows PC?

Hopefully not too stupid questions!

Thanks all.

They both work fine with DAB.
To view files on your PC you can use most media players. Most popular is VLC. Best player is Registrator Viewer.
I have e-mailed you additional instructiins and FAQ, Please check. I will resend again if you havnt received.

Only not asking when in doubt is stupid.

When it come to hard-wire i only see two things.
1. leave your cigarette lighter socket free for other things.
2. you don't have the wire going across center console / dashboard or console between seats, but off course this is purely esthetic issues.

Off course if you plan to use parking guard then hard wiring is the only way to go, even if your cigarette lighter is the always on type.

I have tapped into both my fuse box and other wires of my car wire loom, so i have a lot of outlets at my disposal, and as a tester i have to be able to test all parts of a camera.

In total i have.
6 X 2.4 A USB outlets
3 X 1.0 A USB potlets
3 X 12 V ciggy sockets
1 X 2.0 A USB socket
( all in my glove box )

In the boot of my little car i have.
3 X 12 V ciggy sockets
1 X 2.0 A USB socket

And my original car cigarette socket is free.

Of those i have a 2.4 A USB wired up to go to the top compartment on my dashboard, its used to power my 7" tablet that fit like a glove there, i use the tablet for navigation.
And then i have one of the 1 A USB outlets wired up to go to a little storage hole beside my ciggy socket in the center console, my smartphone is there when it charge and act as wifi access point for my tablet.

Both of those 2 wires terminate in a micro USB as that's what my phone and tablet use, and both wires are off course routed out of sight behind dashboard.

I have a couple of mini and micro USB wires in spare in case a guest in my car need charging of something.
I can even support Apple too, but none i know is into that brand.

They both work fine with DAB.
To view files on your PC you can use most media players. Most popular is VLC. Best player is Registrator Viewer.
I have e-mailed you additional instructiins and FAQ, Please check. I will resend again if you havnt received.

Hi Niko,

Thanks for your message I have not received an email please could you resend?

Just to say both cams arrived today only had chance to unpack one will hopefully get it fitted in the next couple of days :) Thanks you for your help so far!!

My main reason for now thinking I might use the cig lighter is the worry of the manufacturer "deeming" the fuse tap as a modification to the cars electronics and voiding my warranty concerning any electrical faults. Maybe a bit paranoid but sure they'd love to find an excuse to void any warranty work.

I have two USB ports as standard in the car, two SD card slots, HDD Nav with Google maps so never use the cig charger. Having a look today would just be a case of tucking the wire away a few extra feet than if it was hardwired.

Hi Niko,

Thanks for your message I have not received an email please could you resend?

your hotmail.co.uk may filter it into Spam, please check it. I have resent again.

in most cars the inbuilt USB ports are not suitable for powering the cameras if that's what you were thinking

Thanks Jokiin, I wouldnt have even thought of this option, I'm starting to feel old now when dealing with technology But thank you for your comment.

I have fitted both cameras today in my car and my brothers van and have used the cigarette lighter chargers that came supplied with the cameras. Only feedback I have from fitting both is we used the thicker bracket on my brothers camera but still needed to use a spare sticky mount to step it back more from the screen to get the angle correct for the lens. We have both ended up between clicks on the adjustments so more finite adjustments to angle the lens would have been useful as the next one up showed too much sky and down too much bonnet or road.

So far all looks good, need to download the registration viewer to check on a larger screen but we are both happy, my bro's is more discreet as he has blacks dots on the screen around the mirror housing so we mounted it in there so hardly notice the camera at all! (I'll post some pics)

HINIKO has been great to deal with and very helpful!

...We have both ended up between clicks on the adjustments so more finite adjustments to angle the lens would have been useful as the next one up showed too much sky and down too much bonnet or road....
I have the same issue with mine and found that setting the lens 'between clicks' and using a piece of tape (electrical, friction, clear packing, etc.) on the adjustment knob to hold the position works well for me.

Yep will see how it goes without fixing it in position with tape but if I need to I'll have look at securing the setting inbetween clicks.

Does anybody use the CPL filter have seen videos of it being used at night, wondered if it was ok to leave it on all the time?

...Does anybody use the CPL filter have seen videos of it being used at night, wondered if it was ok to leave it on all the time?
I have a CPL on both my front and rear GC's and never remove them.

In this thread I've posted samples of both using a DIY CPL that's actually darker than the 'official' CPL. With the real CPL night recordings are better than these.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-sg9665xx-a118xx-and-b40xx.11698/#post-152074

Edit: Here's how dark my rear glass is -

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-sg9665xx-a118xx-and-b40xx.11698/#post-151367

Edit 2: Here's a sample of the rear GC with the official CPL mounted. First part is on a busy commercial street under construction with no street lighting, only what available from the adjacent businesses. The later portions are from secondary roads with little or no street lighting at all.

Last edited:
Back