Key-controlled Power Source

IFLY152

Reaction score
Country
United States
I installed a new Viofo A119 V3 in my 2012 Acura TL and hardwired it to the fuse box by the passeger's kick panel. The dashcam received power and worked fine, but the problem is that it constantly receives power and runs constantly. I want it to only have power when the engine is running or the car is in ACCessories Mode. I used an Add-a-Fuse kit to tap power from the ACC fuse socket (#16 in the pictures). The ACC receptacle had no power when the car is OFF and not in ACC mode, yet its fuse socket has power all the time (I checked with a voltmeter). Same thing when I tapped from the Power Window fuse socket (#11). The power window wouldn't operate when the engine is OFF and not in ACC mode, yet the Power Window fuse socket has power all the time. How is that possible?

I hardwired a Viofo A119 V2 in my 2007 Miata using the same technique by tapping into the ACC fuse socket and it works as desired (only when engine is running or in ACC mode).

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Attachments

• Acura-TL-0175.jpg
    Acura-TL-0175.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Acura-TL-0176.jpg
    Acura-TL-0176.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 4
Depending on the car, the accessory circuit/s may turn off after a preset time. It is 2 minutes on my car as set by the manufacturer, can be changed. My car's electrics is from a decade ago.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check tomorrow to see if the power will be cut off after a while.

Update: I did some more testing and found that in the driver side fuse box the ACC fuse socket (#18) is key-controlled. I'll be rewiring my dashcam to use that fuse socket.

Back