Let's try to do a listing of under 150 dollars cams good for motocycling

DESFORM

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
adapted MOBIUS camera
I have been searching for a good motorcycle "" dashcam ""...When I say good, I mean at least real 1080p HD, good video quality night n day, power n start with the engine, good wide angle, etc, etc... (motion detection, g sensor, girls g spot magnet, if possible ?) and of course a reasonable price under 150 dollars....above is only financial abuse.....and I am not masochist....

So I start the listing (you can complete it with your own discoveries and own experiences about cams)

Looking many days at dashcams and minicams, and so on in the vast world of cams, I have seen many useless ones, many unreliable ones, many too expensive ones, and very few that matches the decent price et and the overall quality.....

So here are my favs...(it does'nt mean that the first is my first hey !!! for I have none yet, and I am still looking for my promised one) :

The Mobius cam
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7...e-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

The Panorama II from Powerucc
http://dashcamtalk.com/powerucc-panorama2-faq-added/

The SJ4000 rewied by TECHMOAN

Here a compare GOPRO silver versus MAGICAM SD21
The MAGICAM sd21 seems a nice kid....

and oddly, I have ordered this one, to WAIT for my "" promised one"" n see n test :
HD Camera DV 720P HIDDEN Spy Pinhole Thumb Camcorder

I am sure my ""promised one"" is somewhere out there...may be you came accross it ? ..

so give us, your favorite ones too....

Last edited:
Panorama 2 is not for external use like you mentioned motorcycle, - it only for in-car / vehicle use.
Y3000 is waste of money
Not sure why you added Sony AS100V, its contradicts your listing title "under 150usd". It cost in Europe on official website 550usd, of course online shops you can find slightly cheaper, but still it's against your thread title.
I would recommend Mobius with special plastic waterproof case from @JooVuu .com

There are few post in this forum how Mobius can be used on motorcycles, just do a little bit of research ;)

Last edited:
Thanks....yeap I forgot the price about the Sony, that's why I added it....but I"ll delete it

As for the Y3000, I do not think it's a waste of time....It will enable me to find the best way to mount a cam on the bike with less vibrations....and it's so little, that it can be STICKY TAPED anywhere....to add differents point of view in futur video editing......and as I said, it is only for awaiting my ""promised one"""....

The MOBIUS ennoys me, it's neat, good decent quality, cheap, (or almost if you don't have to buy the waterproof case, the mounts, the right cables, n so on)..... but it does .mov files and I"am on PC, not Mac...So for the video editing of .mov with PC, I would have to either convert it in MP4 and thus lose lots of quality...(n the mobius has not that quality to lose, as it's decent quality, not more, nor less, just decent).....or to buy myself a new PC to add my current video editor TRAKAX PC that edits .mov fine

http://www.trakax.com/software/pc/

because my TRAKAXPC video editor version3 does not update to version4 (wich has .mov files editing possible) on my current PC, n this following a problem due to the attack of a virus (complex story here, please don't ask for details)

So 100 euros for the mobius n accessories + roughly 150 euros for a new PC = 250 euros....if you see what I mean here ???

I would rather have a cam that does .MP4 files; or else for PC.....under 150 dollars

Last edited:
Panorama 2 is not for external use like you mentioned motorcycle, - it only for in-car / vehicle use.
Y3000 is waste of money
Not sure why you added Sony AS100V, its contradicts your listing title "under 150usd". It cost in Europe on official website 550usd, of course online shops you can find slightly cheaper, but still it's against your thread title.
I would recommend Mobius with special plastic waterproof case from @JooVuu .com

There are few post in this forum how Mobius can be used on motorcycles, just do a little bit of research ;)

Regarding Y3000 it was my opinion based on my experience @ waste of money, but yes, - you will also waste your time. Anyway, you can buy it and have experience, - maybe you like, but I doubt.

Nothing wrong with MOV editing on PC. There are plenty of very good Video Editing softwares out there which supports almost ALL video files extensions, incl. MOV.

My personal favourite is AVS Video Editor. For 59usd you will get dozen of useful software from them, ioncl. truly userfriendly Video Editor. I havn't found yet better universal video editor for myself. Many other so called Pro-type Video editors have some drawback like acception only 29.97fps, but can not mix different files like 30fps vs 29.97, also some of them dont like mixing avi vs mov vs mp4 etc. AVS is not that fussy and does great job.

Thanks for your Tips on AVS video editor...The problem is that I don't know if it's made to fit little screen on mini laptops....I know that my TRAKAX PC does the job fine, and works well on my miniPC.....but others I have tried had windows too large n not movable to access the main functionning buttons like DONE for exemple....

And paying again for a video editor....I'am not too hot for that....(mind you would still be cheaper than buying a new PC, but then again with a new PC, I could dedicate one to my Musics n Videos...so all this thinking when I think of a 60 dollars Mobius...+ 60 dollars accessories....)

And surely, there are good quality cams out there in MP4 files format, that cost under 150 dollars n would save me from this logistic thinking .... heheheheeee...Is there a reason why most of them are in .mov files.....Has APPLE greased the hindges of dashcams manufacturers to spread it's empire on the world ??? heheheheeeee

But the biggest drawback of AVS video editor, is that it necessitates a lot of RAM....2go recommended, 3go best....and I have only 1go Ram....so I'am affraid it won't do the job....although it looks nice....

Last edited:
Amazon have a few listings for the Contour Roam2 for around £130, full HD, 3.5 hr battery, and water proof.
This is what I have been using for the last two years and have had no problems with it. The advantage of a helmetcam, opposed to a bike fitted one, is that you tend to look at whatever hits you so you have a good chance of getting the other driver in an accident, also if left on the bike someone may nick it.

From the OP, 'motion detection' on a bike it pretty pointless as you will always be in motion

I found some youtube video:

SJ4000 vs mobius HDR (WDR) on

SJ4000 vs Mobius Low Light Test

SJ4000 vs Mobius vs ContourHD vs 808#16v2 D-lens

SJ4000 vs Mobius High Contrast Test

There are so many good cheap camera on the market, don't recommend Y3000, wast of money, poor video quality.

Heheheeeee GORDON.......130 pounds is more than 150 dollars...but sure, you r right, If I could I would choose a bullet cam type....but all that I have seen of them so far were either too expensive, or too clumsy....so at the time being I ordered a little MOBIUS 1080p HD cam + waterproof case? total 90 Euros.......(I find it's video quality better than some go pros out of reach in price) THIS quality can be seen in those videos here :

http://youtube.suburban.ro/similare/iSDc0GFIwzQ.html

Hi BillKnow......I hesitated long between 4 main difficult choices.....

The SJ 1000, the SJ 4000, the TCL SVC 200 and the MOBIUS.....I watched all the videos of TECHMOAN (hi MATT) http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3/the-sj4000-action-camera-review.html over and over again to try to see what I could very well do without of their respective specs, and what was the most essential to me n my futur uses...

The SJ4000 is a good cam, but it looks too much like a go pro, (which I fully dislike profoundly the over all DESIGN n SHAPE because it looks really stupid mounted on anything like here on these guys ) :

http://lichelm.tumblr.com/post/83076453777/paragliders-at-aventures-base-planfait-74-haute

If the guys from China could stop copying the freaking GO PRO (and so on) and start CREATING intelligent stuffs BY THEMSELF instead , the SJ4000 would be the best BULLET CAM in the world .....(Chinese are able to do that, they have the most incredible Fine Arts of the World with their miniatures scisellings,carvings, (nearly nano carvings), and they were the FIRST (during z Time of their TAOISTS EMPERORS) in the World to INVENT most of the stuffs we now take for granted in the West, like paper, ink, printing books, the rudder, the compass, the porcelaine, the explosive black powder, the noodles, the bier, the silk, the I CHING, the Acupuncture, etc.... Chinese of Taoist Times even were the first to discover PLUTON, to discover South America well before Christopher Colombus...... etc, etc ....the list of what they invented, n gave to the World, would be too long to make here n it's not the place for it )....Anyway, thank you my Chinese friends for all that you gave us from your far past.... heheheheeee

The SJ1000 is more fashioned as a Girlie Cam to my point of view......I am more like on a Rocker's side....heheheheeeee, born to be wiiiiiiiild n so on of the film EASY RIDER without the same bike.......if you see what I mean...heheheeee

So left to my choice were the TCL SVC 200 and the MOBIUS and it has been a terrible choice to make right at the moment to buy, because the TCL SVC 200 is excellent, in MP4 files...good for my PC.....while the MOBIUS is in .mov files suitable for MAC users but more difficult to post video edit on a PC......but, the TCL SVC 200 http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/11/10/svc200-is-the-best-100-action-camera-ive-found-so-far.html
lost because with postage to France from England it was roughly more than 150 dollars...and the MOBIUS cam was 60 dollars free shipping from China...about 50 euros for us French...which makes it the WINNER of the best quality priced little mini hd cameras in the World and it is continuously in DEVELOPPMENT for the BEST because MOBIUS makers, listen to end users of it's cameras and quicly correct bugs and so on by often updating the core firmware.....but it is in freaking, F******* . mov this cam and this ennoys me a bit....for my futur video editions...as I am on PC.......

So now...you know all about my way of deciding how to buy something.........

Finally did not get the Y3000...got lost in the post and Ebay WARREN_CHINA promptly REFUNDED me......

I had more REFUNDING problems with BANGGOOD...which I do not recommend....They have a MOBIUS WIDE ANGLE camera on sale...but they don't have it in stock and they do not warn the vould be customer that it's out of stock...so when you buy, you are sure you'll not receive it....and it's very difficult with BANGGOOD to get even a PAYPAL REFUND....I dare not imagine how it can be difficult for those that paid not with PAYPAL......I do not trust BANGGOOD anymore, they lost a customer by making me write more than 4 times (and opening a PAYPAL issue) to them for my REFUND...

Last edited:
In time you could explore the lens extension option for the Mobius. It would allow many different mount ideas on or in a helmet.

Don't let the .MOV idea get you in a twist. The majority of us here are using a PC without issues. There are many software choices big/small and free depending on your needs. I use Avidemux to just cut sections out of a 5 min clip. It's simple, free, retains the quality and doesn't seem to be a big resource drain. Hit the search under the Mobius section and you find a few threads regarding this topic.

I use Avidemux to just cut sections out of a 5 min clip. It's simple, free, retains the quality and doesn't seem to be a big resource drain.

I'm aware of Avidemux, but haven't tried it, as Registrator Viewer is so easy to use. You prefer Avidemux to Registrator Viewer?

I had more REFUNDING problems with BANGGOOD...which I do not recommend....They have a MOBIUS WIDE ANGLE camera on sale...but they don't have it in stock and they do not warn the vould be customer that it's out of stock...so when you buy, you are sure you'll not receive it....and it's very difficult with BANGGOOD to get even a PAYPAL REFUND....I dare not imagine how it can be difficult for those that paid not with PAYPAL......I do not trust BANGGOOD anymore, they lost a customer by making me write more than 4 times (and opening a PAYPAL issue) to them for my REFUND...

I had a similar experience with Banggood. Ordered a Mobius B camera, only to find out they had none in stock, despite the screen grab I took of the web page at the time I placed the order indicating it to be in stock.

To be fair to Banggood, they processed my refund promptly, & my orders with them for a capacitor kit & lens cap went smoothly. Though the lens cap advert photo* gave the impression that 2 caps would be supplied, whereas only 1 was delivered.

I would use them again, however, I bought the Mobius B camera from Webbex, as Banggood still don't have stock.

* http://www.banggood.com/Lens-Caps-F...t-Camera-Wide-Angle-Lens-Module-p-918021.html

Last edited:
I'm aware of Avidemux, but haven't tried it, as Registrator Viewer is so easy to use. You prefer Avidemux to Registrator Viewer?
I haven't used Registrator Viewer as an editor. I didn't know you could trim a clip there. I tried a few options that lessened the quality of the clip; Avidemux was easy and keeps the quality.

Thanks Russ, I will give it a try

I had a similar experience with Banggood. Ordered a Mobius B camera, only to find out they had none in stock, despite the screen grab I took of the web page at the time I placed the order indicating it to be in stock.

To be fair to Banggood, they processed my refund promptly, & my orders with them for a capacitor kit & lens cap went smoothly. Though the lens cap advert photo* gave the impression that 2 caps would be supplied, whereas only 1 was delivered.

I would use them again, however, I bought the Mobius B camera from Webbex, as Banggood still don't have stock.

* http://www.banggood.com/Lens-Caps-F...t-Camera-Wide-Angle-Lens-Module-p-918021.html
Looks like they have corrected their mistake, now on the wide range mobius page: "Expected restock on 17th May 2014"

No....BANGGOOD did not correct their mistake....because MOBIUS makers and ELECTONLINE on EBAY themselves do not know when the MOBIUS wide lens will be out...It was MANDY (for those that know him or her that told me this by mail during my issue with BANGGOOD...so if you have ordered there ??? don't wait untill BANGGOOD is restocked, don't beleive what they say, ask for a REFUND, bccause the makers themselves of the MOBIUS don't know when they will have wide angles....Apparently, they have problems to making satisfy the huge demand for them worldwide....MAY BE their provider/maker can't absorb produce such quantities in a short while...so it will take time before they have enough to dispatch, (by the millions), I think !!!

As for avidmux or else....fine, you trim your stuff .mov...and what else ? you are still left with .mov files trimmed or not ?...does avidmux convert them in MP4....? (without any lose of quality, THAT IS MOST IMPORTANT)

As far as I know AVIDMUX has many bugs, and does not use H264 flux on their own, they must be in a container, if not ? it does not take them........and avidmux is far from being users friendly if you don"t know what too choose in it's many menus.....

TRACKAX PC v4 is a nice video editing software.....buyware, not expensive, even does audio editing too...I have it and it does .mov, can edit .mov...and convert it in MP4 without quality lose....but I need to buy a new PC for it, because, on my actual PC....TRAKAX 4 don't work any more after I had to get rid of the POLICE VIRUS that probably deleted an important thing for TRAKAX to work, explaining why it does not work anymore on my PC.....I only have TRAKAX PC V3 THAT WORKS....which has no .mov editing of course.....

But before buying an new PC....I will try a few options

like this one

MP4Cam2AVI Easy Converter

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

It TRANSFORM .mov in AVI or else....without quality loss, because no recompression and we do not install it on the PC, because it's a standalone

If someone tried it and has something to say against it, please voice you voice....

Last edited:
So, I have got my MOBIUS cam...quickly received from ELETOPONLINE365.....the top seller of the mobius cam on ebay....hi Mandy....

Now I can say that MP4Cam2AVI Easy Converter is not that convenient....because, it convert MP4 in AVI.....and the inner file format of the MOBIUS cam, inside the container .mov....is MPEG4....wich is what I want....but can"t retreive it out of it's .mov container....without using a CONVERTER......

So now I use FORMAT FACTORY http://format-factory.softonic.fr/ as a converter....it take the .mov and gives me a clean MPEG4 video editable in my video editor TRAKAX PC...version 3.01 (freeware) http://www.trakax.com/software/pc/ and that solves the problem of the .mov with PC...

But would be neat to be able to directly get the MPEG4 files out of the .mov container, without having to CONVERT it at all...so that I could use it straight out of the container if possible....But I do not know how to extract it ? if someone knows, please tell us....thanks.

Very interesting thread:)

I'd like to create the thread that focus on the wishlist of dashcam for motocycling,
As the developer, I'd like to hear the ideas and need from people.

Back