looking for a dashcam

andrea24

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi, i want to buy my first dashcam (max 300$) but i've seen that there are a lot of chinese brands that make good products but with a lot of issues,so,t i'd like to know if there are european, american or japanese dashcam manufacturer. thanks

There are but ther products are mostly targeted at a non consumer segment, and as such they charge the prizes only goverments are stupid enuff to pay.

There are however a bunch of worth while non Chinese makers that is interesting and have a proven track record.

Street Guardian ( australian brand, but made in China like so many other things, but they do run a tight ship and dont use the cheapest factory and components )
Panorama ( south korean brand, i think they make ther stuff them self and as such they are not in the cheap end of dashcams )

You are right, there is a good deal of brands that seem good and do make good footage, but then if the camera is exposed to heat/sunshine for a while the camera loose focus - the lipo battery in it stop working, or the camera just fail after a short period.

You really want to go for the good brands where the thing most likely to go bad is the memory card after it have cycled thru many 1000 of GB over time, thats why the recomendation is ( to any brand of dashcam ) inspect your memory card every 1 - 2 weeks to see if the files on the card match what you have been driving lately, and try to play the first and last file of your driving sessions to see if they can be played / not corrupted by memory card aging problems or other issues.

It is very important your last recorded file is allwys good, its most likely that one you will need if you have been in a bad crash.
Thats why you need the power source in the camera to be good, and why ppl prefer capasitors over lipo batteries, especially the ppl like me who leave the camera in the car all year.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, what do you think of mivue series? I want a dash cam to start but i read a lot of bad reviews about these dashcams, i need a decent camera for day and night

Last edited:
Hi, i want to buy my first dashcam (max 300$)...

Welcome to DCT. You're in Italy, so focus on buying from an EU-domiciled seller providing a 2 year guarantee. I & others here can recommend @niko who contributes at this site & operates his own dashcam business at http://hiniko.com

I have no personal experience with that brand, but its not a brand that get a lot of talk on this forum.

I think they are not the optimal brand to go for, judging by Russian dashcam compilations i have seen.

yeah i had no problems with my LK-7500, and it still serve well in my little sisters car.

Depends on what you demand.

Many of the brands in the market have the Gravity Sensor and Motion Detection.

Normally, G sensor is for daily driving and Motion Detection is for parking.

Basically, the dash camera needs to connect to your car fuse box in order to get the Motion Detection. It is because the dash camera will not be operating after your engine is off. That's why the camera should better hardwired or you go purchase a power supply kit for supplying electricity to the camera.

In the market, you can find some dash cameras already have secondary battery inside of the black box in order to support the motion detection. Where some don't have it.

Graphic quality is another problem when you are choosing among different choices. Normally like 720p and 1080p are always in the market, you can see brands like Street Guardian, Mini080x series, Lukas, Papago and Thinkware have perfect video quality.

Sizes problem is also an issue for customers while choosing from. You can have a big size, normal or a small size. small size like mini 080x series and papago are all good, but there is other korean brand starts with a "B" in the market where it cannot fix the problem of overheat because the cam is too small. If you don't care about the size, Street Guardian, Thinkware and Lukas can also fit your need. And some of them are with wifi functions too.

The last one is the SD card memory, you will need a big memory card to support many hours of recording. Please don't use cheap SD card in the market, better to stick with the original brand SD card from where you purchase the camera. However, SD cards are expensive if you want to record up to 512 GB. For example, if you are buying a Lukas Dash Cam, I can tell you the 512 GB memory SD card is about $500 Canadian dollars.

Back