Looking for a rear camera...

vxlomegav6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Transcend DP200, DP220
Hi all,

I'm looking for a reliable dash cam for the rear of my saloon, I'll mention below what are the key features i'll be looking for.

Seen as my GS608 is just awful in every way I can think of apart from its size. It's now making electrical sounds, Simply put it I don't fancy the risk of using it much longer, Plus the picture/sound quality are one of the worst I've seen (in the rear anyway) picture is OK on the front... Well it was only £25 so can't really complain it's lasted 4 month there about's.

Anyway...

**Features I'm looking for**

•Good picture day/night
•Good sound quality
•Reliability
•Price Range £0 - £100
•Tried & Tested model
•From the UK if possible
(If I can think of anything else i'll add to the list)

I'm happy with my front camera which is a Transcend Drive Pro 200 No doubt i'll probably go for another if I can't find anything else. It's currently £79 on Amazon.

Have been looking around and there are some interesting cameras out there such as...Mio MiVue, G1W, Mobius, 803, A118/B40, HP F200, Blackpunkt 1.0, etc..

Look forward to your replies :)

I have a Mobius from joovuu. Up until now I am a happy user. At night the video quality is ok but depends on street lights and other cars headlights.

I have a Mobius from joovuu. Up until now I am a happy user. At night the video quality is ok but depends on street lights and other cars headlights.

How is the reliability on these, I hear they get hot ?

Also no display might be an issue. Saying that it does seem to have good picture quality and the sound isn't too bad eaither especially considering the price.

Can't seem to find a package that comes with the car suction cup / sticky bracket, Just over £60 on Amazon UK just for the camera on its lonesome.

I believe so

It does seem to have good day/night recording capabilities from what I've seen.

The sound issue is a concern that would need to be confirmed fixed, Ideally with a video of how it now sounds presuming it's been fixed.

Anyone know what the reliability is on the G90 ?

I've got a brand spanking fresh off the factory floor G90 and sound is ok on that - I'll edit a bit of the clip out to upload it.

Music is a good average mix of low end (bass) and mid.upper freqs.

ive the G90 without GPS. ive the latest firmware that supports time lapse.

the audio compression is super whack. heavy pumping with moderate music ( I turn up the music early in the video to hear the compression/pumping). the cam in this video is mounted betwixt two rear speakers that are mounted up in the roof. i have 17 speakers in the ride but those two on either side of the cam are the most prominent due to the location of the camera to the speakers.

contrast this with the sound from the Panorama G i use up front and you can tell night and day difference.

Even the G8000L has better audio quality than the Dome G90 without GPS. much much better.

this is also my second cam from @JooVuu . first one had a white box in the middle of the screen. did not record that way but the display was defective. swapped with a new one and after a month of using this cam , this vertical white line appears. This is a hardware issue as its recorded this way. when i go to playback the white line does not show up on the screen, which proves its not the display but the sensor that's faulty.

could be @JooVuu had some bad first batch of cams since I was one of two who purchased this cam when it was firs avail.

perhaps the one @reverend has (he has GPS) may be a better build.

All this said, the images are tack sharp! this cam looks great. set it to spot mode and it will dim the image at night to capture the license plate vs. getting washed out as is the case with some other dashcams.

despite my issues (problems being an early adopter) i recommend this cam if you are looking at it. otherwise, the Pano G is a big big winner chicken dinner! o_O

Last edited:
Happy days - I realised when I carve the video up via RV it strips the audio anyway as it can't handle it! I really need to get a codec pack installed to see if that will fix it as someone on here (can't remember who it was who told me now) had good luck with that.

How is the reliability on these, I hear they get hot ?

Also no display might be an issue. Saying that it does seem to have good picture quality and the sound isn't too bad eaither especially considering the price.

Can't seem to find a package that comes with the car suction cup / sticky bracket, Just over £60 on Amazon UK just for the camera on its lonesome.
Hi. As I am using the Mobius as rear camera, for me the display in not important. What is important is that I can see in the rear-view mirror the blinking of the red led that shows the camera is working. As a matter of fact, I took it off the mount only once to update the firmware from 1.7 to 2.10 and the microsd card twice to check the video files. It does get hot but only the aluminum heat sinks. Maybe this is because I attached it to the headliner (using an homemade "S" metal mount) and my rear windshield is tinted.
Bottom line, so far so good!

Don't think the Mobius is for me, No doubt it's a good camera, Just can't see myself getting along with it as a Dash Cam...

G90 think i'll have to pass on this one also. Sound doesn't seem to be as clear as if like.

I'm torn between these two below...

Mio MiVue 518 , Transcend DP 200

Don't know much about the 518...

I already have a DP so know it's good, Excellent picture day/night.. Sound although very clear is on the low side. Tim&Date it forgets after 4 days is a tad annoying.

Are there any other cameras like these two on the market?

Look in the vendor section to see what is out there.

I'm leaning towards the Mio MiVue 518 it's only £10 more than the Transcend DP 200 which is generally around £80 most places and the MiVue 518 is £89 at Halfords...

Here's the link: http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-aud...arking-sensors/mio-mivue-518-dashboard-camera

Does make sense to have at least one Dash Cam with GPS which the MiVue has, From the one or two videos on YouTube it has decent sound quality, Pictures quality seems fine also.

Does anyone own any Mio MiVue cams that can report on how they rate them also are they reliable.

Also feel free to recommend other cameras. I'm not decided enough as yet to take the plunge on any cams yet.

Back