looking for continuous still images

Don Davenport

Reaction score
Hi, Long time reader, first time poster.

I am looking for a dash cam that will take still images at a set rate and continue taking stills until the memory is full at which point it will start replacing the older images. There are action cams that will take continuous stills (time lapse) but will stop when either the memory is full or the battery dies. I want mine to be able to operate 24/7.

Thanks for your help

Why not just buy a video cam as you can screen grab an image out of the movie

Any of the Blackvue ones allow that in the built in viewer and it gives you a time and date stamp in the pic as well

The GPS enabled ones also give coordinates.

They will record forever but will overwrite after about 8-10 hours using a 32gig SD card or longer if using lower resolutoion

Hi,

Another member was looking for the same thing. See his thread here. Seems like the F900LS camera has this function, but check with that member for his thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
DashCamMan said:
Hi,

Another member was looking for the same thing. See his thread here. Seems like the F900LS camera has this function, but check with that member for his thoughts.

I think sometimes even a great DVR is often a poor camera as it's not really the intended use of the product, I don't know that many manufacturers are targeting this as a feature, sure they may take photos but the quality produced is not their primary concern

Last edited by a moderator:
If your wanting to capture still images I recommend this, it's called a digital camera:

digital+slr.jpg

Sorry I scanned the forum and I didn't see the previous posting regarding time lapse.

Thanks for everyone's replies but I can tell by Milamber's useless answer that I probably should explain.

I was hoping to use a dash cam as both car camera and security camera. I own a car that I rarely drive so having a dash cam for my car would mostly satisfy my addiction for electronic gadgets. :0) The security feature is based on the fact that my car is parked in a lane way that is prone to have vehicles broken into and graffiti spray painted,etc. My plan is to mount the dash cam inside my house and have it pointed through a window to the lane. This would would run 24/7 with little maintenance

The reason why I thought a dash cam would be the best solution is because:

1) They are small
2) Come with mounting hardware (of some kind)
3) Most come with a wide angle lens (to capture the entire lane way around my house)
4) Most work well under low light
5) Automatic settings.
6) Record to solid state memory
7) Time stamp

I know that I can just run the video and tell it to loop capture but since I travel a lot I was thinking that having a still image taken every couple of seconds would allow me to get the most capture time on a 32gig memory. This would allow me to return a couple of days latter to look at the footage without having to worry about it being recorded over. I also know that I could use motion capture but I am not sure how reliable / sensitive this would be to a large wide shot.

I was thinking of purchasing a action cam such as the Crocolis HD Extreme Cam but there is no loop recording . The stills are taken until the camera turns off or the battery dies. Plus I also think that the unit is a bit large to fit between the glass and the window blinds.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Any further input would be great.

Don

How far are you from the parking lane? I'm asking because most dashboard cameras have a wide-angle lens and you might have a hard time figuring out who messed with your car. Have you considered a webcam that records directly to your computer?

Hey Swordfish,

Good questions.

My car is parked right next to the window so it should be ok. The car is the priority. Capturing the full lane way is just a additional feature. Luckily it's all fairly well light.

In regards to using the webcam, I really didn't want to dedicate a computer to this or have to leave the computer running 24/7. I even thought about one of those wifi IR security cameras but they are a bit bulky and I don't have a way to record the images.

The F900L looks promising just not sure if it can continuously capture when the memory is full.

My logic is that if I can take a 5meg still image every 5 seconds (just for easy math) I would be able to take about 18,000 images which would quickly translate into 65 days of images.

Don

Don Davenport said:
Thanks for everyone's replies but I can tell by Milamber's useless answer that I probably should explain.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Any further input would be great.

Don

Thanks for that Don, my reply was the best advice I could give. Using an SLR and some gaffa tape might address your query. Some digital cameras even have a remote :smile:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hey everyone,

I answered my own question. After doing the math and realizing there are two months of still images on a 32gig memory card I figured I could manage to delete images at least once a month.

I will be further investigating the F900LHD.

Thanks

Don

It's not a dash cam but the 808 #16 keyring cam has firmware which allows you to take stills at set intervals. The official eBay retailer is eletoponline and if you use the N16 GUI application you can easily update firmware. The rcgroups forum has a thread just fort this camera, started by Tom Frank.

Back