Looking for "ding catcher" camera

dingedbyidiot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a dashcam/mirror cam or any car camera that can record clear video (720p+) at close range and two adjustable angles. Battery life doesn't have to be much more than 30 minutes, I would only be setting it up while in a public parking lot. I'm open to any suggestions, I would even get two cameras at this point! Price doesn't matter as long as its reasonable.

At the moment I only found one camera that fits this description https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00E56WY18 unfortunately it doesn't seem to record high quality video to license plate #s.

Story time: I purchased my first car (Audi) just two months ago and I always park it away from any other cars when possible. Yesterday I had no choice but to park between two cars at the store....and lo and behold when I got back to my car there was a massive ding and scratch on the passenger door...I was devastated and without any camera footage or witnesses I'm going to have to foot the bill for repairs.

So, as I understood, you need a system that would had a parking mode recording, preferably 2 channel, right ?

So, as I understood, you need a system that would had a parking mode recording, preferably 2 channel, right ?
It doesn't necessarily have to automatically record, I can start/stop it every time I park. I would prefer dual channel but I can also work with two cameras if they're a bit smaller.

It doesn't necessarily have to automatically record, I can start/stop it every time I park. I would prefer dual channel but I can also work with two cameras if they're a bit smaller.

For how long you will be parking your car, how long it has to record continuously ?

Form-factor, price ?
Preferably something portable. As long as I can stick/position them to the window or on dash/visor it would be ok. I'd say 500-1000 wouldnt deter me from purchasing as long as it was a high quality solution. It's well worth the investment for me, seeing how this one dent will cost me over 800 to fix.

I'd say 500-1000 wouldnt deter me from purchasing as long as it was a high quality solution. It's well worth the investment for me, seeing how this one dent will cost me over 800 to fix.

I am glad that more and more people starting to think like you said @ It's well worth the investment for me, seeing how this one dent will cost me over 800 to fix

I have same principles for about 1 year, but unfortunately there are still no high-end solution out there even if me, you or other people are ready to pay 1K.

For parking mode recording ( 24/7 or 40 min like in your case ) Capacitor based dashcams are recommended, because as I understood, you still want to leave dashcams inside car even if you arrive home, even at home they dont need to record any more, right ? I would recommend looking for supercaps dashcams instead of battery used dashcams due to some risks that batteries may cause if left dashcam left in car in hot weather.

At present stage there are few Korean 2ch dashcam systems that would fit your needs, but its all about form-factor. For me they are not what I would like to see in my car, I am more into discrete install. Still you may look at: Rinevu, Lukas, Blacksys CF-100, Marcus M5. They are from 250-400 usd.

In near future there will be out remote lens 2ch FullHD systems, - this is what I am myself waiting for, but its early to say will it be this year or not.

In your place I would go for 2 x Mobius B lens with supercaps, hardwire them to the fusebox via battery discharge device and this would fit your needs at the moment and set you back total for 2 Mobius about 160-170 usd ( if bought locally ) + memory cards + battery discharge device etc. Later on you can upgrade to high-end 1K systems when they are out.

I am glad that more and more people starting to think like you said @ It's well worth the investment for me, seeing how this one dent will cost me over 800 to fix

I have same principles for about 1 year, but unfortunately there are still no high-end solution out there even if me, you or other people are ready to pay 1K.

For parking mode recording ( 24/7 or 40 min like in your case ) Capacitor based dashcams are recommended, because as I understood, you still want to leave dashcams inside car even if you arrive home, even at home they dont need to record any more, right ? I would recommend looking for supercaps dashcams instead of battery used dashcams due to some risks that batteries may cause if left dashcam left in car in hot weather.

At present stage there are few Korean 2ch dashcam systems that would fit your needs, but its all about form-factor. For me they are not what I would like to see in my car, I am more into discrete install. Still you may look at: Rinevu, Lukas, Blacksys CF-100, Marcus M5. They are from 250-400 usd.

In near future there will be out remote lens 2ch FullHD systems, - this is what I am myself waiting for, but its early to say will it be this year or not.

In your place I would go for 2 x Mobius B lens with supercaps, hardwire them to the fusebox via battery discharge device and this would fit your needs at the moment and set you back total for 2 Mobius about 160-170 usd ( if bought locally ) + memory cards + battery discharge device etc. Later on you can upgrade to high-end 1K systems when they are out.

Excellent advise! I just ordered two of the Mobius B lens cameras and 32GB microsd cards along with the supercap upgrades and mounts from the vendor's ebay store. I figure I will just take them out of the car when I'm at home or work (employer already has more cameras than Hollywood). The remote lens cameras you referred to, is that what it sounds like? IE remote camera lens with antenna that connects to a hub?

Excellent advise! I just ordered two of the Mobius B lens cameras and 32GB microsd cards along with the supercap upgrades and mounts from the vendor's ebay store. I figure I will just take them out of the car when I'm at home or work (employer already has more cameras than Hollywood). The remote lens cameras you referred to, is that what it sounds like? IE remote camera lens with antenna that connects to a hub?

@ Remote lens we call it camera ( lens ) that are attached to the main unit via cable. Something like THIS.

Back