Loosing GPS

Spuds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
412GW, 512GW, 522GW, VIOFO A199V3
Hi there. This is my first foray with the VIOFO dashcams. I have been using the Nextbase ones until having problems with the 522GW, and finding it just outside warranty, Nextbase were wanting me to return it for a repair estimate. I decided that now was time for a change and after reading the excellent reviews of the Viofo A119 V3 I was persuaded to buy this model. The quality of the footage is beyond my expectations. Number plates are readable edge to edge of the capture. This is exactly what I needed. There is just one niggle that I would like advice on. That is when the car has been stood for a few hours and restarted, the footage shows my reg. number, Model number, speed and date correctly. The time is one hour behind what I set it to previously (GMT) and there is is no GPS data showing. I could understand with it now having a battery backup everything being reset but as mentioned the car reg is remembered (perhaps it reads this each time from the CarNo_Backup.txt file stored in the root of the memory card. I should mention that the camera is being powered from the accessory socket that cuts the power one minute after the ignition is switched off. I prefer to have the power provided this way rather than having a hardwire kit fitted. Is this normal behaviour for this type of camera? Many thanks.

The default timezone is GMT, maybe you set it to BST and it corrected back to GMT?

Hi @jokiin and and @Nigel I am sorry I didn't explain clearly. I set the correct timezone and the time is correct and I also display GPS co-ordinates on the screen. Overnight (for example) the Timezone is incorrect and I have to re-enter the information and also change the settings to record GPS data.

what setting did you select for the timezone?
I set GMT +1 hour for UK for British summer time. When the unit gets a GPS signal is displays on screen the correct time. After being stood the unit shows the time as GMT, which is one hour behind. To summarise some settings are remembered and some are lost.

I set GMT +1 hour for UK for British summer time. When the unit gets a GPS signal is displays on screen the correct time. After being stood the unit shows the time as GMT, which is one hour behind. To summarise some settings are remembered and some are lost.
did you update the firmware at all?

try reset default settings in the menu and then do your settings again, these options are stored in ROM, maybe a glitch there somewhere but resetting defaults is always a good starting point to make sure things are right to begin with

I set GMT +1 hour for UK
You set the time zone to +1? Not the time?
I have to re-enter the information and also change the settings to record GPS data.
Are you setting it in the App? If so, try setting it in the menu to ensure there are no incompatibility issues between the two.

Yes I updated the firmware. I will try your suggestion. Many thanks, as always sir.

Nigel, after I set the time zone as soon as the unit acquired a GPS signal the time set itself. I do not know what app you are referring to. I set everything on the device itself

I can't see any mention of wifi in the documentation

You could just leave it on GMT, then you don't need to correct it twice a year! As long as you know that it is GMT then it is correct.

You could just leave it on GMT, then you don't need to correct it twice a year! As long as you know that it is GMT then it is correct.

I don't mind changing it twice a year but not on every journey.

I've just checked mine. It takes a few minutes to collect the GPS signal, but, as soon as it starts it accurately shows me GMT.

Being one of the lazy brigade I leave mine on GMT 24x7 and qualify it in the settings:

xhEEDOf.jpg

Back