Low starting voltage

katzung

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless my multimeter is having calibration issues, my (Camry hybrid) battery is reading around 12.02 to 12.08 volts while checking switched and unswitched circuits at the fuse box before wiring the dashcam.

Does this effectively mean it's pointless for me to wire for parking without a dedicated battery?

It may call into question the health of the 12-volt battery in your Camry Hybrid. You want to check the voltage level of the battery after the modules in the car have gone into their sleep mode. If you open the door it may awaken a variety of modules that will draw down the voltage level until they go to sleep again. I would suggest opening the hood (assuming the battery is in the engine compartment) and leave the car sit without opening/closing anything (doors, trunk lid, windows). After 30 minutes (should take far less time but just to be sure), check the voltage level at the battery itself and see if the voltage level is as low as it was before.

I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid which has the very small 51R 12-volt battery that powers the 12-volt accessories in the vehicle. I find it necessary to replace the 12-volt battery in our Highlander Hybrid about every 3.5 to 4 years. That's about when it stops holding a full charge. We have hot summers in Northern California and that stresses car batteries and shortens the life span.

With a good 12-volt battery in our Highlander Hybrid, I can power a Blueskysea B4K 2-channel dash camera using fuse taps to obtain the power for the B4K hardwiring kit. I don't park the Highlander for more than 1 or 2 hours at a time. I have found my wife or I might forget to power down the B4K when we arrive at home and it seems to record the activities of the garage for 10 to 18 hours until I remember to power it off again.

I'll check it, but it ought to be healthy. It was just delivered and has less than 1K miles.

If opening the door can cause that much disruption, I'm worried about the low voltage circuit deciding to effectively block ever entering parking mode.

If the hybrid batteries are such "lightweights", I'm thinking I might be better off in the long run springing for something like an iVolt mini.

I live in the Midwest now, but I grew up in San Rafael.

I'll check it, but it ought to be healthy. It was just delivered and has less than 1K miles.

If opening the door can cause that much disruption, I'm worried about the low voltage circuit deciding to effectively block ever entering parking mode.

If the hybrid batteries are such "lightweights", I'm thinking I might be better off in the long run springing for something like an iVolt mini.

I live in the Midwest now, but I grew up in San Rafael.
I just checked the battery in my Highlander Hybrid with a Midtronics battery tester. The Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) of the 51R battery is rated at 500 and the tester found it to be 490. The battery voltage level is at 12.40 volts. I replaced that battery in May 2021, so it has only be in service for 14 months. I have my Blueskysea B4K dash camera powered off since it's parked in the garage.

If I needed 8 to 10 hours of power for parking mode on a daily basis, I would likely install a dash camera battery pack to power the dash camera. Just like any battery, the 12-volt battery in the car and/or the dash camera battery pack, need enough driving time to allow the vehicle's charging system to top off the battery's charge level.

I didn't wait for 30 minutes, but after 5, the voltage at the under-hood jumper terminal (the battery is in the trunk) was 12.16.

I don't want to wait more than five minutes (best case) for parking to start, so I'm going to go with a dash cam battery.

Thank you for your help.

My Mercedes E hybrid does the same: 1st 30 mins the battery is at 12.2v, there after it goes to 13v

I didn't wait for 30 minutes, but after 5, the voltage at the under-hood jumper terminal (the battery is in the trunk) was 12.16.

I don't want to wait more than five minutes (best case) for parking to start, so I'm going to go with a dash cam battery.

Thank you for your help.
May i suggest: https://www.power-core.co.uk/products.html

(IF you decide to buy there, make sure the set the cutoff at 11v, as standard it's at 12.5v)

Back