Lukas 7900 ace - almost decided

divudi

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reading this forum for some time as I want to get me a dash cam. Now I have chosen the one that would suit my needs but before buying it I wanted to have some answers.
Now briefly what do I expect from it and how I want to use it.
I am doing quite a long trips, often these trips are kind of adventure ones with off road and nice nature etc. I want to have it recorded. So I expect to have a good quality videos (also night if possible), a long recording time before deleting the oldest file, no need to have a display, a small dimensions of the devise etc.
After reading this site I have decided for Lukas 7900 ace because:
- the day video quality is good and also the night one is ok I guess
- a possibility to use 128 G sd card
- parking mode (not a must though)
- quite small dimensions

No some of my questions before going for it definitely.

1. How many hours of HD quality can I get from the 128 G sd card? I read something like 30 hours but am not sure. I do not want to have videos overwritten each 3 minutes but to have a continuous recording. Is it possible?
2. When leaving a car parked the whole day does the devise stay on all that time. I will have it installed by a dealer so that no cables are seen but am I sure that it will last that long even if connected to the car?
3. Does this devise have a possibility to look videos recorded on line? For example I leave a car at the dealer for the check up. If I want to see how do they treat the car when going for a ride can I just see the on line video on the internet somehow?
4. When installing the device how can I mount it without looking at the display and to be sure that it is mounted correctly? Perhaps the previous point could be applied here as well.
Or perhaps someone could advise me some other dash cam that would be even better considering what I want it for.

Thank you

1. On highest settings, each 3 minute clip is ~250MB in file size. So with the 128GB card, I'm guessing around 25-30 hours. And the videos are in maximum of 3 minute segments (30 seconds for motion/event). And there's no way to change these settings for continuous recording.
2. If you want recording even when the engine is off, you want to install a power kit (can be bought as a package w/ the dash cam) that is hardwired to the fuse box. In parking mode, it only records when motion is detected. And with the power kit, it will automatically cut off at certain level when car battery becomes low. If you just have it plugged into the power outlet, it will turn off when the engine is off (unless you have a car with a power outlet that stays on but that will ultimately drain the battery)

3. This device does not have that feature. I know some have built-in wifi that can be connected to your smartphone (such as the BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW or Itronics ITB-250HD).

4. Either through trial & error or you can purchase a cheap TFT monitor (on Amazon or something) and hook it up via AV cable. The built-in navigation display on my car has an AV plug that allows me to connect to the device, fortunately.

Because I live Texas, Lukas 7900's high operating temperature won me over vs. other comparable dash cams such as FineVu CR-500HD/Pro Full HD, Blackvue DR500. I also considered Vico-TF2+ but the size was too large...

neoP said:
1. On highest settings, each 3 minute clip is ~250MB in file size. So with the 128GB card, I'm guessing around 25-30 hours. And the videos are in maximum of 3 minute segments (30 seconds for motion/event). And there's no way to change these settings for continuous recording.
2. If you want recording even when the engine is off, you want to install a power kit (can be bought as a package w/ the dash cam) that is hardwired to the fuse box. In parking mode, it only records when motion is detected. And with the power kit, it will automatically cut off at certain level when car battery becomes low. If you just have it plugged into the power outlet, it will turn off when the engine is off (unless you have a car with a power outlet that stays on but that will ultimately drain the battery)

3. This device does not have that feature. I know some have built-in wifi that can be connected to your smartphone (such as the BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW or Itronics ITB-250HD).

4. Either through trial & error or you can purchase a cheap TFT monitor (on Amazon or something) and hook it up via AV cable. The built-in navigation display on my car has an AV plug that allows me to connect to the device, fortunately.

Because I live Texas, Lukas 7900's high operating temperature won me over vs. other comparable dash cams such as FineVu CR-500HD/Pro Full HD, Blackvue DR500. I also considered Vico-TF2+ but the size was too large...

I think a 128 Gig SD will fill before a car battery will go dead if it's new and fully charged. I remember someone doing a test of a spare 12v car battery mounted and it lasted for some time. I've left mine on for 10 hours while I was at work to see if it lasted and had no trouble starting the car at the end of the day. Mine plugs into the cigarette lighter which stays live when the car is off. There was plenty of movement all day so it recorded most of the time. This can be adjusted for sensitivity but I've never tested it.

Wait, so you can't record continuously? If you want to record until the card is full and not overwrite any files, can you?

The application I have in mind is recording 8 or 10 hours straight on a road trip

Vxrtom said:
Wait, so you can't record continuously? If you want to record until the card is full and not overwrite any files, can you?

The application I have in mind is recording 8 or 10 hours straight on a road trip

The camera will record continuously but in segments. You can download the viewer and check it out before you purchase the device.

http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/bo ... eng_viewer

Last edited by a moderator:
Vxrtom said:

No. It will overwrite the oldest 3 minute file if the card is full. You will have to turn it off to prevent it from overwriting the oldest file.

Using my Itronics again. With dashingthrusnow's modded 12mbps..
Much prefer the form factor.

Snapping 3 brackets was probably a factor too. :lol:

jamesbcd said:
Using my Itronics again. With dashingthrusnow's modded 12mbps..
Much prefer the form factor.

Snapping 3 brackets was probably a factor too. :lol:

Good point. I have been thinking of mounting my ITB-100HD SP again. Maybe it's about time to do it. I have 4 brackets and 2 LK-7900 units that I have been happy with so far. I really like the tech support that Lukas offers.

Back