Lukas 7900 dead ....

boyvan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Lukas LK 7900 ACE
Hi guys.....I installed Lukas 7900 yesterday including Portable UPS (LK 530-12V). It worked fine yesterday all day. Last night I turned the car off at around 6 pm. This morning at around 11 am the camera didn't turn on. I thought UPS is dead because it is plugged in the cigarette lighter instead of hard wired. So I drove all day today and it is still dead :evil:

Any ideas? Thx.

Did you plug camera directly into cig lighter to eliminate issues with ups?

Have you check the fuse in the cig plug?

Thanks for replying.

When I bypass the battery then everything works. Camera works when directly inserted in the cigarette lighter. When I install it with UPS then it doesn't work. So I am assuming thats its UPS not charging (working).

My suggestion is check your battery output voltage. My confusion was that I could not get the LK-530 to work, but my car was off! When I started the car the voltage went up and the LK-530 started working. I think it's initially set at a cutoff of 12.2 or 12.4; so if your car has a low output voltage it won't turn on. It's possible your camera was just working off the stored charge in the LK-530.

Plug the LK-530 into a different car's cig lighter and see if it wakes up and shows charging.

Thats a good suggestion. I was thinking along the same lines but my car is less than a year old so the battery is new as well. But I can still try.

Can I not plug it into wall socket and charge it that way?

boyvan said:
Thats a good suggestion. I was thinking along the same lines but my car is less than a year old so the battery is new as well. But I can still try.

Everyone should have a power supply plugs into the wall and delivers +12 to a female cig lighter receptacle. The come in very handy for so many devices and are very reasonably priced.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1109440599 ... s&var=sbar

Last edited by a moderator:
boyvan said:

Maybe not. If the cutoff is pre-set to 12.4 your wall charger may not supply that much and the unit may never start charging. This is why direct wiring is better, as most cars supply close to 13v when the engine is running.

And yes, everyone should own a multimeter. Which doubles as a continuity checker. Cheap ones are less than $15 US these days.

I actually wanted to get direct wiring but my car doesn't have an internal fuse box. Not happy about that when I went to get it installed. So I had no choice but to do it the way I did.

By the way I drive 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the only fuse box is in the hood.

What if I get 15v wall charger. Would that be ok?

boyvan said:
I actually wanted to get direct wiring but my car doesn't have an internal fuse box. Not happy about that when I went to get it installed. So I had no choice but to do it the way I did.

By the way I drive 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the only fuse box is in the hood.

What if I get 15v wall charger. Would that be ok?

I have used several 12v chargers that have worked without a problem. If you are going to buy one then buy the 12v. No reason to get 15v.

Thanks guys.....I really appreciate all your suggestions / help and it has been very useful. I used 12v wall charger and it turned on. Is their a manual for this? That is the last piece missing. Lukas website shows a manual but doesn't explain different things.

Never mind....I found the manual....in case others are wondering it is here: http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/bo ... al&wr_id=4

Last edited by a moderator:
Back