Lukas 7900 with Mac

feinberj

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a Lukas 7900, and I am using a Mac at home. There were a few challenges, but now everything is working well.

Of course you cannot run the Lukas Ace software in Mac OS X natively - you must use Parallels or VMware Fusion. You need the software if you want to be able to change the settings on the camera, and I think almost everyone will want to change at least one setting. For example, by default the camera talks to you, almost constantly, while you are driving. You must format the SD card and save a config file, using the Lukas Ace software, if you want to turn off that horrible option.

This leads to a new complication. One reason I bought the 7900 was support of 128Gb SDXC cards. Most card readers that support SDXC, including mine, are USB3. VMware Fusion and Parallels are very, very fussy with support of USB3 devices. VMware Fusion, which I have, is worse. I simply could not get my USB3 card reader to work with VMware Fusion. I eventually gave up and bought a Rosewill USB2 SDXC-compatible reader. It was very cheap ($12):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B004N950UOThis reader worked under VMware Fusion. I was then able to run the Lukas Ace software, format my 128Gb SD card, and save my settings file and get rid of all the camera chatter.

For viewing the video files, I can use my USB3 reader and run VLC on my Mac. It will let me drag in a set of files, and it will spool them one after the other. It will play at up to 4x. The only missing feature is that VLC will not show the GPS location as the video plays. If I want that, I can copy the files to my hard drive and then play them in the Lukas Ace software.

Back