Magnet Mounts & Power bars.

Canada Bob

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Vantrue E1
Over the years I've probably spent as much on hard-wiring one car after another than the dashcams have cost me, so I was looking for a better way to set up the Vantrue E1 Lite I bought a couple of months ago. The only thing I didn't care for was that there's no swivel adjustment in the base, once you stick the base to the windscreen that's it, there's zero adjustment.

I decided to try using magnets to mount the dashcam to the windscreen, I stuck the clear film (that Vantrue supply) to the windscreen and then attached one of the magnets to the film, using a dab of clear silicone, that worked fine. Then I attached one of the other magnets to the base of the E1 using the silicone, just make sure that you check the polarity of the magnet on the windscreen and the magnets on the base, you want them attracting, not repelling :) Once the silicone had set on the magnets it was easy to mount and then adjust the webcam, then, if needed it's just as easy to dismount the dashcam if you don't to leave it in the car.

That was job 1 done, it was just a matter of how to supply the 5v, I remembered that I had an Anker power bar laying around that I hadn't used for years, thankfully when I dug it out it was still "good as new", all 10,000 mAh of it. I thought of using Velcro to stick it to the sun visor, but as I pondered that I noticed the little compartment meant to hold your sun glasses, one of the things on a car hardly anyone every uses, so I repurposed it, that's where the powerbank went, just inches away from the E1's power input, (see the video on the link below).

It was just a matter how long would camera run being fed by the powerbank, that turned out to be around 48 hours before it needed charging again, worked a treat for us on our drive from Truro, Nova Scotia to Peace River, Northern Alberta, an 8 day drive of over 5,000 klm along the Trans Canada Highway.

The beauty of this set up is it's done in minutes, the magnets cost me ~$10 the silicone was already "in house" and flat USB wire cost me just $6.
I know it's sort of Jury Rigged, but it works for me...

Bob.

Last edited:
Back