Magnetic mount

Tony lovelock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 422gw/Nextbase 212G & möbius C3 wide angle lens
Hi,

Looking at a magnetic mount option for my m1 that will screw into the square push in insert on the original slide on case. Been looking at RUBBER COAT MALE THREAD NECK POT MAGNET Mount, however I need to know what thread pitch is in metric to convert from 1/4-20 thread. Is it 4 mm or 5 mm? Thanks

While there is no direct exact equivalent, some charts I find online say that 6X0.75 will work; by math that's ~29TPI pitch but as close as it gets.

I know that 1/4" is about 6.35mm, so I'll venture that the diameter will work but I'm not sure about the pitch. Also note that standard metric 6mm threads are 1mm in pitch; the 0.75mm from the charts is a "metric fine thread" and not what you'll usually find. One or the other should thread in a few turns (maybe enough to hold) but going past where it turns freely will destroy the threads in the brass. One work-around is to gain what threading you can, then use a 6mm nut to lock it there (again not too tight so as to not destroy threads). I also read on a photography forum that there's no working equivalent, but those folks didn't impress me as being smart or helpful.

Can't say more but with the 1/4-20 tripod thread being so universal, someone should have something available pretty much everywhere, very likely in a camera shop.

Phil

Can't say more but with the 1/4-20 tripod thread being so universal, someone should have something available pretty much everywhere, very likely in a camera shop.
Pretty rare to find an adaptor, and no standard metric size is compatible, not just because of the pitch but also the shape of the cut.

1/4" Male Threaded to M5 MaleThreaded screw Adapter for tripod camera

Hi,

Looking at a magnetic mount option for my m1 that will screw into the square push in insert on the original slide on case. Been looking at RUBBER COAT MALE THREAD NECK POT MAGNET Mount, however I need to know what thread pitch is in metric to convert from 1/4-20 thread. Is it 4 mm or 5 mm? Thanks

There may be a specific reason you want a magnetic threaded mount but here's another option to consider.

Over the years several DCT members have created various Mobius magnetic mounts but typically they avoid the tripod thread in the mounting cradle (sled) entirely. As you likely know, the 1/4-20 thread mount can easily pop right out of the mounting cradle leaving one with a flat surface. Of course, it can easily be popped right back in. Some people purchase a spare mount for this project. Simply mount a neodymium magnet directly to the bottom of the mounting cradle and then use it to attach the camera to a simple steel DIY mount that can be mounted to your windscreen with 3M tape. Of course, there are a variety of designs one could use to create a mount the camera can be attached to.

Here is one example.

mag_mount.jpg

@Tony lovelock, thinking about this project a bit more I don't know the pitch size on a 6.35mm - 1/4-20 screw equivalent bolt either. But 1/4-20 inch thread is the world wide standard for tripod thread size. At one time the 3/8" tripod socket was the European standard but that has become somewhat obsolete. Here in the US any good hardware store will carry a full selection of both SAE bolts and metric bolts. You can get whatever you need. I would imagine things should be similar in the UK and if you visit your local hardware store or a decent local machine shop and explain/show them what you need they can likely fix you right up. Also, I see that you can purchase 1/4-20 bolts on Amazon UK.

I've created many custom DIY projects with 1/4-20 tripod screw mounts using standard 1/4-20 bolts. I just cut them to length using a hacksaw (sometimes removing the head if needed) and smooth off the end of the rough cut threads using a one inch bench mounted belt sander.

threaded.jpg

So, if you want to simply screw a magnet onto the existing Mobius tripod cradle thread mount as mentioned in your initial post a good option would be any of the strong round neodymium magnets with center holes you'll find on Banggood. They have quite a selection. All you need is the magnet of your choice and the right size or cut down to length 1/4-20 bolt which you should be able to source in the UK without having to go crazy figuring out metric thread pitch equivalents.

round_neodymium.jpg

Last edited:
I brought an magnetic circular pot magnet mount with rubber outside from joovu about 2 years ago, really good strong magnet that the threaded part on it I had to cut down so it screwed into the square push insert on the mobius slide on case as it bottomed out. It screwed into place with ease but couldn't remember the thread pitch size it won't undo now as I covered it in lock thread

I brought an magnetic circular pot magnet mount with rubber outside from joovu about 2 years ago, really good strong magnet that the threaded part on it I had to cut down so it screwed into the square push insert on the mobius slide on case as it bottomed out. It screwed into place with ease but couldn't remember the thread pitch size it won't undo now as I covered it in lock thread

You could buy a spare Mobius mounting sleeve from Banggood and start from scratch.

https://www.banggood.com/Mounting-B...am-p-91832.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Ebay sell these countersunk hex bolts that I think is the correct thread pitch... Thinking about buying a rubber coated pot counter sunk mount then secure in place with a locking nut before screwing on the mobius in the new cradle mount... Where its not in millimetres I'm slightly confused as I need the thread length to be approx 20/30mm max so I've got abit of thread to play with to experiment... Can anyone enlighten me to what length I should buy in the " drop down box

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922_190807.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922_190807.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 9
If the thread length is too long just install a washer or two behind the magnet to adjust.

Edit: Another option if the bolt is too long is to cut it down to length and clean up the threads at the rough cut so that they function properly.

I need the thread length to be approx 20/30mm max so I've got abit of thread to play with to experiment... Can anyone enlighten me to what length I should buy in the " drop down box
25mm is 1 inch, right in the middle of the drop down.
And in case you don't know, the character " is the symbol for an inch.

The thread in their image looks the wrong pitch, but I guess it is just an image of a countersunk hex bolt and probably a metric one!

20mm is just over 3/4". 30mm is about 1 1/4". Roughly 25mm to the inch. Fractional sized bolts and screws are generally sold in 1/4" increments up to about 2", then 1/2" increments thereafter but you can find a bit more variety in lengths under 1".

Countersunk screws like shown in the attached pic are measured end-to-end; all other types are measured from the threaded end to the bearing surface of the head. Lengths over 1" may be 'shouldered' or have an unthreaded portion- look for that word in the description.

For something as simple as a small threaded piece of metal, you'd be surprised how many different types and variations there are and it takes a small book to cover it all :geek: not including specific use fasteners but only common ones.

Phil

20mm is just over 3/4". 30mm is about 1 1/4". Roughly 25mm to the inch. Fractional sized bolts and screws are generally sold in 1/4" increments
Outside of USA, few people use fractions, trying to do maths with them can be a mystery and needs another book!

I brought some go pro accessories about a year ago, it came with a plastic screw in adapter of some sort it's threads into push in insert for the mobius case perfectly & the threading is more spaced out than a metric thread

I'm one of the few over here who staunchly support the metric system, yet my business realm is absolutely against it because everything has been long ago standardized to fractional dimensions. As measuring to the nearest sixteenth is adequate for my purposes, I avoid the fraction conversion problem by thinking only in sixteenths- there are no quarters or eights in me, only sixteenths. Thus if I must convert a number, it is only the total of my figures and even that can be expressed in sixteenths :cool: It's a whole lot easier than the way they teach in schools and has both speed up my work and reduced mistakes in calculation of measurements to nearly none. And I have ways of expressing finer measurements if that's really necessary. Funny (or sad?) but most of the guys in my business who resist the metric system have a hard time with the fractions in the system they want to keep, never knowing how easy metric is :cautious: It's been awhile since I used a fractional micrometer, and I'm sure I'd remember how if I had to, but I can grab a metric micrometer and go right to work because it is so simple.

Yet like my business, there are things like tripod threads and plumbing pipe thread standards where it is not logical to try to change them. I guess there will be some of that for a long time to come.

Phil

there are no quarters or eights in me, only sixteenths.
So you do your maths in hexadecimal and put your calculator into hexadecimal mode?

there are things like tripod threads and plumbing pipe thread standards where it is not logical to try to change them.
Yes, no real reason to change the plumbing threads, the tap connector threads here, like the tripod threads, are in fractional inches, but the pipes are metric, eg 15mm diameter and x meters long!

So shall I buy the 1/4-20 UNC 3/4" (20mm) long countersunk hex bolt, & hope it fits... I tried a 6mm threaded bolt today it does screw in but only just, didn't want to over tighten just incase is striped the female threading inside the square mug insert on my spare mobius sleeve case

So shall I buy the 1/4-20 UNC 3/4" (20mm) long countersunk hex bolt, & hope it fits... I tried a 6mm threaded bolt today it does screw in but only just, didn't want to over tighten just incase is striped the female threading inside the square mug insert on my spare mobius sleeve case
Seems reasonable to me, definitely don't force the 6mm, once it gets in a certain distance it will start to rearrange the threads which is not desirable!

Why not follow my earlier suggestion and simply stop by a local hardware store, machine shop or even an appropriate car dealership and explain/show them what you need? That way you don't have to concern yourself with "hope it fits" worries by purchasing online.

Why not follow my earlier suggestion and simply stop by a local hardware store, machine shop or even an appropriate car dealership and explain/show them what you need? That way you don't have to concern yourself with "hope it fits" worries by purchasing online.
Because they will only have metric sizes.
Not many car dealerships deal in USA cars here!

Back