Making out number plates

wibbly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

At 4K I'd expected from other's samples for it to be better. What settings affect the ability to make out number plates of approaching cars?

You are in a pretty dark place, with dark green trees lining the road, and the day is a far too typical British summer day.
It would be a lot better if you was in a open road.

Hmm

Does use of HDR also have a negative impact? HDR has to be on or off - it's not automatic in any way, is it?

I've found on VIOFO that HDR during the daytime has a negative effect on sharpness, and at night a positive effect

That's annoying - having to set it up manually depending on if it's light or dark out :-S

That's annoying - having to set it up manually depending on if it's light or dark out :-S

The Viofo A119 Mini series and similar A119 V3 camera (and others) have a timer feature where you can designate when HDR will engage and when it will be off, so at least for some cameras this is not a problem.

Although today's cameras share many technological similarities and components, each has its own quirks and idiosyncrasies, strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend doing some testing with HDR on and off both day and night and see what works best for you. You may just discover that you are happy with the performance of the camera with HDR off or on full time.

Although today's cameras share many technological similarities and components, each has its own quirks and idiosyncrasies, strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend doing some testing with HDR on and off both day and night and see what works best for you. You may just discover that you are happy with the performance of the camera with HDR off or on full time.
Indeed, yes. Just looking to the forum for common wisdom and a starting point for further testing. (y)

Indeed, yes. Just looking to the forum for common wisdom and a starting point for further testing. (y)
There is a lot of useful information on dashcamtalk.
Look around the themes of other models, such as Viofo. Read.

Reactions: gse
Back