Memory card no longer readable

Schorschi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0803
So, I got the 0803 back in June. Created a couple of videos, courtesy of Freemake, which is joining the 5-minute clips together to a continuous video.

And now, suddenly the memory card is no longer readable, when I insert it into the SD card adapter and that into my SD card reader in a Windows XP PC.

It's a SanDisk Ultra 16GB Class 10. The drive of the SD card adapter shows up, but the pop-up prompting me how to handle the data on the card does not.

What's up with that?

Here's a follow-up to my post above.

I took the 0803 out of the car, put the memory card in, connected the camera to the same computer via a USB cord and can read all files just fine via the USB connection, both from the internal and external media.

It just won't work when I take the memory card out and plug it into my computer with an external card reader. I've tried one other (Windows XP) computer and get the same result. Drive shows up, but I can't read from the memory card.

I used to be able to do this with the same devices (PC, micro-to-SD memory card adapter and SD-card reader).

The drive of the SD card adapter shows up, but the pop-up prompting me how to handle the data on the card does not.
Is it just that the pop-up is missing?
Can you see the files on the drive if you open the drive?

I think there is an option in XP to "always do this when opening this drive" or something of the sort, maybe it has been pressed accidently?

Well, the pop-up would be the indicator that the OS recognizes the card properly, but it never comes up when I plug it into the computer.

With another memory card it works fine: Pop-up comes up, which I close anyway and then use Windows Explorer to view the files on the drive.

But with this card that I've been using in the 0803 only the drive letter will appear in Windows Explorer. The pop-up never comes up and no files are showing on the drive; I get an error message too, forgot the exact wording now.

Where did you purchase the SD card?

Also, have you tried reformatting the SD card using the Mini 0803?

Kelvin

I bought the memory card from Amazon.

I haven't yet formatted the card in the 0803. Since I used to be able to read the card through my micro-to-SD and SD-card adapters, I didn't think reformatting would change anything.

Reformatting is worth a try...the card needs to be formatted in FAT32 for the camera, not EXFAT; camera can do it or you can try on your computer. The error message you mentioned might be helpful if you would give it to the forum as well.

I had an old USB memory drive with all my music on it for my car that somehow got its partition marked as "healthy" but not "active" when viewed with Windows disk administrator. Wouldn't work in my newer car's USB slot even though it had worked in the old and could never figure out how to change it back. Copied all files over to another USB with 'healthy, active' showing for the main partition and that one worked. Wonder if your problem is something strange like that (in my case both could be read on computer but only one on the OEM radio slot).

I used to use a Sandisk 64GB ultra in my 0803 but kept having 'slow card' write errors. Switched to a newer Lexar 64GB and have had no similar problems since. I read around this forum that the Sandisk uses a 'poor controller' compared to others for some reason. Can't claim to have found any specifics but anecdotally at least I do see a fair amount of issues mentioned with Sandisk cards here.

Back