Mini 0803 - 1296 Resolution Issue?

Phil_UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
When i try to record in 1296 the video is distorted and blocky to the point of being useless. Switching to 1080p it records fine. I made the mistake of buying a Class 10 External SD but switching to Internal memory made no difference. Still fine at 1080, but corrupted at 1296.

My SW version is FW20140611 V1.0.

The cam is with internal 8GB and GPS .

Does anyone know if it can be resolved?
Thank You
Phil

P.S. I appear to have the microphone mute bug also. Disable mic....still records sound.

Last edited:
Quite honestly it's not worth it!. The resolution difference will be almost imperceptible between the two, and you will just end up with much bigger file sizes.
Unless you want to enlarge frames as still photos, then I wouldn't bother with 1296.
Just my 2¢ worth.

The camera will be fine, it's your display software/firmware that is the problem.

If you are using RegistratorViewer then try the menu: Playback/Renderer/VMR.

Updating your Codecs may help, although on my laptop there seems to be a firmware issue.

Quite honestly it's not worth it!. The resolution difference will be almost imperceptible between the two, and you will just end up with much bigger file sizes.
Unless you want to enlarge frames as still photos, then I wouldn't bother with 1296.
Just my 2¢ worth.
Thanks. It may be the case that I stick to 1080p, but having paid for 1296 I would like it to work as a matter of principle :)

The camera will be fine, it's your display software/firmware that is the problem.

If you are using RegistratorViewer then try the menu: Playback/Renderer/VMR.

Updating your Codecs may help, although on my laptop there seems to be a firmware issue.

Cheers Nigel....that worked a treat!

Good to know cam works as it should....even if i do stick to 1080p :)

Cheers Nigel....that worked a treat!

Good to know cam works as it should....even if i do stick to 1080p :)
Good,

If you want to see the real quality or compare the real quality between resolutions then after selecting that menu, chose the option to "save the current frame" and you will get an image with as much detail as is stored. As has been said, if you are just watching video then it is hard to see the difference from 1080, especially if your screen is like mine less than 1080 resolution! But with a frame dump you do get a larger image with about the same quality per pixel. I believe the lesser resolutions are just rescaled versions of the full 1296 and obviously when you scale something down you loose detail which can't then be retrieved, but you also loose noise so it can actually look nicer unless you zoom back in.

Good,

If you want to see the real quality or compare the real quality between resolutions then after selecting that menu, chose the option to "save the current frame" and you will get an image with as much detail as is stored. As has been said, if you are just watching video then it is hard to see the difference from 1080, especially if your screen is like mine less than 1080 resolution! But with a frame dump you do get a larger image with about the same quality per pixel. I believe the lesser resolutions are just rescaled versions of the full 1296 and obviously when you scale something down you loose detail which can't then be retrieved, but you also loose noise so it can actually look nicer unless you zoom back in.

Thanks Nigel, that's very helpful.
Cheers

Back