Mini 0806 reboots/freezes...

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Well, I have a Mini 0806 for about 4 months and it has been freezing/rebooting and making chime sound, stuck on boot loop or something. It's been doing this for about 2 months already but was careless about it, but been happening more and more lately. It seems to happen after 20 or so minutes of recording usually.

When it first boots up, it records fine, but after a while, occasionally, it will shut itself down, reboots, make chimes, continuously reboot or freeze up making a startup chime sound (not really sure how to explain it). I tried replacing the micro USB cable, tried a different power adapter, different micro SD card, and all the things are still leading to the same problem.

The device was ordered from @GearBest back in September and started to have issue about a month or so into using it, only noticed when driving a longer trip. Short distance (10-20 minute) are usually fine and sometimes long distance, it works fine, but at times, it hangs up/freezes/reboots, I had to unplug it since it just continues on trying to boot up, but never successful.

Any suggestions?

How is the battery?

What power supply are you using?

Well, I tested the dashcam (running it on power banks) before I put it in the car when I first got it and the battery seems like it was able to hold a charge. Not sure about now since I mounted it on the car and haven't really touched it since.

I'm using an Anker 2 port USB car charger. Tried different USB cables with it, different ports, same result after a while.
Link to product: http://www.ianker.com/product/71AN2452CSS-WA

What do you have for micro sd card? Try to format the micro sd card with http://www.mediafire.com/download/1uoxmceff5tvo27/FAT32-Formatter.rar

The micro sd card I have is a Sandisk Ultra 64gb and a Samsung Evo 64gb, both fully tested on a computer (running SDFormatter, overwrite to ensure the card is real and can write all the blocks) before using with the dash cam. Those cards were previously used in an A118-C and Xiaomi Yi with no problems.

Okay, I will try it when I have a chance. Normally, I use my own adapters since my car only have 1 port so I rather just have a multi-port USB adapter to power the device.

Bumping my old thread... Started to have the same issue again. Not sure what's the cause. Been using the original adapter it came with and worked fine until now. Today, temperature got pretty hot in California and stopped working and went into boot loop after 15 min or so of recording from cold start.

When I got home, I powered the Mini 0806 on my desk with a USB power bank for more than 2 hours and it never rebooted or anything. Could it be heat related?

Common causes of gremlins with the 0806 cameras (I have 9 of them):

1) Incompatible or failing microSD cards. Once an error is on a card, an in-card format should resolve the issue short term. My Sandisk 64G gave me intermittent shutdowns. Since moving to 32G Lexar (2pack for $17 @ buydig), I've had no more issues

2) Power connection point. Without a doubt, the two microUSB ports on the base/gps mount will eventually cause problems. The four spring-loaded pins that make contact between the base and the camera body will eventually increase resistance (humidity, oxidation, weaker springs) resulting in inadequate voltage/current to the camera. That will cause write errors on the card and random shutdowns. Power the camera DIRECTLY.

3) Power supply - if you're not using the stock charger, make sure that the replacement charger is capable of actually putting out the full 1A @ 5V power. Most cheap knock-off brands are labeled as such, but they're woefully inadequate. If the power adapter and camera are more than 5-6 feet apart, use a heavier gauge USB cable, as voltage drop on thinner USB cables can cause glitching as well.

4) Battery condition. The Li-po batteries will eventually fail. I've had one go bad in the year that I've owned my cameras. The camera CANNOT function without a battery. So if it's completely dead, your camera will be as well. As it fails, the camera will begin glitching - random shutdowns, stuttering beeping tones, errors on the card, overall gremlins. If you unplug the power source, the camera should have enough run time to properly shut down "Good bye" and chime. My cameras will all power up (without power connected) for at least a minute. Some people boast the get 5-10 minutes - I've never seen that. If you've ruled out points 1-3 above, it's probably a failing battery.

ETA: While I can't discount heat, living in central Florida, my cameras see some pretty extreme temperatures. I can say, so far, heat does not appear to have ever played a factor in any reliability issues. It sounds like you have a power supply issue. Make sure you address the points above.

Don't think I ever really had any problems with the microSD cards, seems to be recording fine.

I guess I will try powering the camera directly. I've always powered it via GPS mount.

The USB power adapters I would use is usually Anker, Tronsmart, or TomTom and all of them are able to provide constant 1A @ 5V or higher, depending on port or charger design. I've went back to original power adapter and hoping it would have solved the issue, but up until now, it seems to have stopped working.

Not really sure about the battery condition. It seems to have never really hold much of a charge. When there's no power to it, it shuts down within 10 seconds, even with the shut down delay set to a certain minute before shutting down... It still shuts down within a 10 or so seconds.

Don't think I ever really had any problems with the microSD cards, seems to be recording fine.

I guess I will try powering the camera directly. I've always powered it via GPS mount.

The USB power adapters I would use is usually Anker, Tronsmart, or TomTom and all of them are able to provide constant 1A @ 5V or higher, depending on port or charger design. I've went back to original power adapter and hoping it would have solved the issue, but up until now, it seems to have stopped working.

Not really sure about the battery condition. It seems to have never really hold much of a charge. When there's no power to it, it shuts down within 10 seconds, even with the shut down delay set to a certain minute before shutting down... It still shuts down within a 10 or so seconds.

The shutdown delay option is for shutting down when powered and not recording (ie. manually stopped recording). So in other words, if you have stopped recording and left camera powered on, it will shutdown after the delay setting, additionally if there is no card present it will do the same. The actual power off delay is not configurable via the menu.

The camera cannot tolerate more than 0.5V voltage spike. Some power supplies when unloaded or transition to load will spike more than that, thus blowing the camera.

I have very bad luck with these cameras myself (I dealt with at least 5 of these pieces of ****). See my other posts.

Where are you plugging the Anker charger into? Is it the stock 12V outlet built into in your car or an aftermarket one you added? The reason I ask is that some of the aftermarket 12V outlets have connectivity issues, so you want to make sure you get a good one.

Common causes of gremlins with the 0806 cameras (I have 9 of them):

1) Incompatible or failing microSD cards. Once an error is on a card, an in-card format should resolve the issue short term. My Sandisk 64G gave me intermittent shutdowns. Since moving to 32G Lexar (2pack for $17 @ buydig), I've had no more issues

2) Power connection point. Without a doubt, the two microUSB ports on the base/gps mount will eventually cause problems. The four spring-loaded pins that make contact between the base and the camera body will eventually increase resistance (humidity, oxidation, weaker springs) resulting in inadequate voltage/current to the camera. That will cause write errors on the card and random shutdowns. Power the camera DIRECTLY.

3) Power supply - if you're not using the stock charger, make sure that the replacement charger is capable of actually putting out the full 1A @ 5V power. Most cheap knock-off brands are labeled as such, but they're woefully inadequate. If the power adapter and camera are more than 5-6 feet apart, use a heavier gauge USB cable, as voltage drop on thinner USB cables can cause glitching as well.

4) Battery condition. The Li-po batteries will eventually fail. I've had one go bad in the year that I've owned my cameras. The camera CANNOT function without a battery. So if it's completely dead, your camera will be as well. As it fails, the camera will begin glitching - random shutdowns, stuttering beeping tones, errors on the card, overall gremlins. If you unplug the power source, the camera should have enough run time to properly shut down "Good bye" and chime. My cameras will all power up (without power connected) for at least a minute. Some people boast the get 5-10 minutes - I've never seen that. If you've ruled out points 1-3 above, it's probably a failing battery.

ETA: While I can't discount heat, living in central Florida, my cameras see some pretty extreme temperatures. I can say, so far, heat does not appear to have ever played a factor in any reliability issues. It sounds like you have a power supply issue. Make sure you address the points above.

This is good info. It should probably be stickied someplace. :)

The shutdown delay option is for shutting down when powered and not recording (ie. manually stopped recording). So in other words, if you have stopped recording and left camera powered on, it will shutdown after the delay setting, additionally if there is no card present it will do the same. The actual power off delay is not configurable via the menu.

The camera cannot tolerate more than 0.5V voltage spike. Some power supplies when unloaded or transition to load will spike more than that, thus blowing the camera.

I have very bad luck with these cameras myself (I dealt with at least 5 of these pieces of ****). See my other posts.

Oh I see. Didn't really know about the shutdown delay on the Mini 0806.

I might have given up on the Mini 0806 and replaced it with another dashcam I had laying around. I do love the Mini 0806 for it's size and video quality, but it has been one of the more problematic dashcam I had.

Where are you plugging the Anker charger into? Is it the stock 12V outlet built into in your car or an aftermarket one you added? The reason I ask is that some of the aftermarket 12V outlets have connectivity issues, so you want to make sure you get a good one.

My 12V outlet. I don't have a splitter or anything.

Back