Mini 0806 vibrating depending on a car engine RPM. FIXED !!!

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
I drive Volkswagen Passat B6 / 3C, 2.0l Diesel and there is a Mini 0806 Vibrations ( jelly-effect) caused from engine revs, especially when accelerating.

"Funny" thing is that when driving over bumps ( ramps ), there is no vibration ( jelly ), which means new bracket / mount has a good stiff fitments, so no complains to mount / base.

After analysing many resent videos, I came up to conclusion, that due to un-even weight distribution of Mini 08xx series design of rotating bracket / mount being on the side of the unit, there may be a video jelly-effect ( vibration ) which is caused by car engine REVs ( diesel engine cars ) in a certain RPM moment for a short period, especially when accelerating from 1st tp 2nd gear.
I have not seen such vibrations with most of my other dashcams which have a bracket / mount more-less to the centre of a dashcam or weight distribution of a main unit vs bracket / mount position is more-less even.

Here is one of the video analyse and comments below

Raw / original video you can download from HERE

Comments:

Car is stand still, engine running, can see vibrations

1 min 50 - 54 sec

Vibration when accelerating

22 sec.
1 min 3 sec
1 min 15 sec
1 min 22 sec
2 min 24 sec
2 min 55 sec
3 min 32 sec

No dashcam vibration when driving over the "bumps" ( ramps )

1 min 25 - 33 sec
2 min 00 - 02 sec
2 min 16 - 20 sec
2 min 47 - 53 sec
3 min 40 - 43 sec

Does anyone else who has diesel car ( preferably same as mine, VW Passat 2.0l ) has reckon same problem ?

Last edited:
Ah yes I had the exact same problem in a VW Passat CC with the same engine here:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0805-mount-shake.8651/

Initially I didn't really have the problem - Mtz mentioned that he saw it on his and then over time as I'd mounted and unmounted the camera it did happen more.

To be honest I have the 0803 style mount so it looks like it is worse on the new mount - have you had the camera in and out of the mount a lot then mate as it seems to have gotten worse as it's loosened up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'v got a small sports car and drive it quick........ as it's made for around corners and stuff.

I'm close to buying the X2 and now thinking I might mount it to my dashboard because I can't see my bonnet.

I can now see that vibration might be a factor.

Everything has a resonant frequency and if it matches the frequency of the vibrations from your engine then that is the result. It is a bit worse on the mini cameras as with the mount non-central the effect of the vibration is exaggerated on the right side of the image, the light weight also results in a higher resonant frequency than with heavier cameras.

It is partly the fault of the car for allowing engine vibrations to reach the glass.

You could try to retune the resonant frequency below that generated by the engine by adding some weight to the camera - each car will require a different amount so the manufacturer can't do it.

I'v got a small sports car and drive it quick........ as it's made for around corners and stuff.

I'm close to buying the X2 and now thinking I might mount it to my dashboard because I can't see my bonnet.

I can now see that vibration might be a factor.
Small sports cars don't normally have noisy low revving diesel engines - so you don't need to worry :)

I think just have sorted out this issue without adding an additional weight to the dashcam. Will share my solution soon after more tests are done.

Back