Mini 2 issues

minibbb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon folks

As per my previous posts I had two mini 2s installed recently.

I had issues with the G shock incident setting activating over the slightest bump in the road whilst on high sensitivity. I changed this to medium and it seemed ok for a while.

The last couple of days both cameras are flagging multiple incidents on journeys, even when no big bumps are present in the road etc. The noise is very annoying with the beeps it generates.

Now today I am getting the videos appear in the vault app and an alert popping up on my phone. Concerningly the videos feature audio- I specifically selected Audio OFF for both cameras. Does audio turn on if it detects an incident?

If this can't be resolved they'll have to go back- not seeming very reliable so far.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Maybe set the sensitivity to low. As far as audio, Garmin doesn't specify whether the audio setting applies also for event videos.
I would think in the event of crash, you would want all of the data you can get (including audio). Ask Garmin and let us know :)

Maybe set the sensitivity to low. As far as audio, Garmin doesn't specify whether the audio setting applies also for event videos.
I would think in the event of crash, you would want all of the data you can get (including audio). Ask Garmin and let us know :)
Thanks matey. Right so sensitivity to low appears to have resolved the annoying activations when hitting small bumps etc.

Parking mode appears to activate in the same way as per before when I banged the windscreen to get it to kick in- I therefore think the incident sensitivity relates to driving only.

I am having issues where sometimes the front camera isn't entering parking mode. It does most of the time so I'm wondering if I should swap the power to a different fuse? I have tried unplugging it to reset etc however it will still occasionally fail to enter parking mode which is frustrating.

I have 2 model 56's. Both are wired to the same fuse. Occasionly, one of them does not enter the parking mode. When that happens, it's usually the same one.

How is the parking mode triggered? If it is just up to the camera (no parking mode cable) it would make sense for two cameras to go to parking mode at different times. Sometimes it takes a while for the GPS to settle down. Small differences in camera location and orientation could mean that one camera detects still mode before another one.

Both have separate parking mode cables going to the same fuse.

Still having issues- the front camera will seem to go into parking mode fine but when I return to the car it's off whereas the rear is still going fine- happens about 50% of the time.

I can only assume it's a camera issue as it is clearly getting power ok.

Have email Garmin so will see what they say.

How is the parking mode triggered? If it is just up to the camera (no parking mode cable) it would make sense for two cameras to go to parking mode at different times. Sometimes it takes a while for the GPS to settle down. Small differences in camera location and orientation could mean that one camera detects still mode before another one.
I'm not sure how the Mini2 is switched as it has no GPS and no direct provision for it. GPS can be had by synching with another cam (presumably a Garmin) which does have GPS. Garmin is ambiguous about this in the specs on their website which say only that "Parking guard (alerts you to vehicle impacts) = No (Yes if using a constant power cable, sold separately)". Yet the app shows a menu choice for this so which is correct?

Mine is not synched with my GPS-equipped 57, and neither of them is reliable switching into parking mode (I don't have the parking cable). So for the Mini2 to know when to switch leaves only two possible 'triggers'; a voltage change in the powering or a lack of activity in the G-sensor. The 57 could switch by GPS but with both behaving similarly, I'm guessing the GPS is not involved, but I could be wrong.

So until something else happens I'll recommend the parking cable if you want parking mode utility with the Mini2 as it is a far more certain method of achieving that.

Phil

On further testing I find that my Mini2 is 'synched' with my 57 and as best i can recall I did nothing to cause this- it seems to have happened automatically. I now see GPS data on the Mini2's recordings. But it's still not terribly reliable at entering parking mode :(

Phil

Right so....

Been back and forth with Garmin. They are very good at getting back to you but so far no real solutions.

The cameras (especially the front) and very hit and miss regarding remaining in parking mode for much longer than about 50 mins so far. Sometimes both will appear to be in parking mode and I can come back to the car a short while later and maybe the rear is still on but the front has stopped.

The agent today suggested unplugging the rear camera- I did this and the front still only lasted about 45 mins on parking mode. I'm wondering if the internal clock in the camera is faulty.

I notice Garmins latest update has added sensitivity adjustment to parking mode. On high setting it is going off VERY easily! If I park to go into a shop (which the parking mode generally stays on long enough for ha) and come back to the car, just opening and shutting a door will trigger a parking incident.

The agent suggested my battery doesn't have capacity for two cameras to run on parking mode- surely it should cope? It's a big mercedes so the battery must be fairly decent? Is there a way of testing it? The Garmin parking mode cables don't have the adjustable voltage switch that the obd cable has. Otherwise I wonder if using a different fuse would be an idea?

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do? I'm half tempted to swap to a 57 so at least have the internal battery to provide a half decent amount of time in parking mode.

My Mini 2 is in light use and I haven't noticed anything weird. My main camera DC 57 recently had a brain fart where it wouldn't start. This was the first time something like that happened. I did a reset and it's been fine since.

Any of you guys who run two cameras find that the cameras aren’t in sync when you export a video?

I have a garmin 57 as a front camera and a mini 2 as rear. But wired using parking cables.

When I export a video the mini 2 camera is around 15 seconds behind the front camera. Also when I press the save button on the front camera nothing is recorded on the rear.

The front camera does see the back camera as displayed on the lcd screen and pressing the save button does make the rear led light flash.

Thank you.

Back