Mini2 losing Date and Time Overlay on recordings

Billinin

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Mini2 loses date and time overlay on recordings each time it is powered off. I have to reconnect to it through the Drive app then date and time overlay is recorded until the next time it is powered off.

I suspect after 2 years the super capacitors are faulty. I see on this website where the mini2 was disassembled. Does anyone have experience with this or replacing the super capacitors? The super capacitors are available through Mouser.

Many Thanks.

I doubt it has anything to do with the super capacitor. More likely it has not been able to connect to the drive app in a while. This is the only way of keeping correct date/time. Here is something that may be relevant:

It may have a small watch cell battery (like CR2032) for the real-time clock. It won't be the super capacitor.

I connect to the camera with the drive app almost daily. In the snapshot below there is no date and time overlay recorded next to the word GARMIN. Once I connect to the camera with the drive app my recordings have date and time overlay until I turn off the car and the camera no longer has power. Next time I start the car my recordings won't have date and time overlay unless I connect again with the drive app. it is a pain to have to connect with the drive app everytime i want to go somewhere in the car.

So I guess the question is what keeps the date and time when the camera loses power?
vlcsnap-2024-07-28-19h19m49s942.png

As far as I know there is no RTC or battery. Hence the need for phone connection from time to time to sync the date/time.

Does the app show a timestamp in the recording listings and is it correct?

The date is correct but the time is not.
If I pull the sd card and check it on a pc, likewise the mp4 file date is correct but the time matches the recordings listing which is wrong.

Here is another idea. Make sure the app has enough permissions, especially location.

Back