MiVue 658 Touch - Frequently restarts recording with error sound

AgileDuck

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello fellow dashcammers,

About 3 months ago I gave in to my paranoid feelings and, in a bit of an impulse, purchased a Mio MiVue 658 Touch (the one with 2 microSD slots, and no WiFi). The quality of the footage I think is great, and so is the sensitivity of the microphone. It has a solid window mount and decent user interface, but it does get pretty hot at times. I use it when going to work, resulting in about 1 hour of recording per day. It's writing to a SanDisk microSDCX Ultra 64GB, class 10.

About a month ago, I started noticing error sounds coming from the Mivue. They kind of reminded me to what you would hear in Windows 95 when something went wrong. I didn't pay much attention to it -trying to be a responsible driver and everything- but eventually noticed there to be gaps in the recorded footage. It seems that after the error sounds, when I rewatch the recording it is cut off short. Looking at the dashcam's screen as it happens, it will tell me that it is (re)starting a recording.

The usage of the microSD was almost full so I figured this could be the reason. I had the Mivue format it, but am still getting the problem, even more than before it seems. It usually happens once or twice during a 30 minute commute. I'm thinking it might be eating up the SD resulting in write errors, or perhaps the dashcam itself is overheating. Mailing Mio support requires filling in all details, which I rather don't unless required, so I thought I would try here first. Has anybody witnessed something like this before, perhaps with another Mio dashcam?

Thanks for reading and drive safe.

- AgileDuck

Welcome to DCT

SanDisk has a bad reputation when its get combine with a dashcam. So try to use another brand,
I'm using PNY green elite 64gb &128gb and I haven't had nay problems.
Take a look on this video and you will learn alot.

Last edited:
Welcome to DCT

SanDisk has a bad reputation when its get combine with a dashcam. So try to use any brand,
I'm using PNY green elite 64gb &128gb and I haven't had nay problems.
Take a look on this video and you will learn alot.

Hello Viking,

Oops, guess I should have looked into this and not assume that any card would be fine...
Thanks for the video, I'll get a proper card and report on my findings in another 2 months or so.

Bought the Transcend High Endurance 32GB card as recommended in the video, been using it daily since July and no issues so far. :)

Started having problems with the Transcend SD about a week after my last post. Different from the SanDisk though. Mid-way during a trip the recording would stop, and it would only resume after a restart of the dashcam. Not that I tried that intentionally; I'm basing this upon the timestamps of the recordings. I wasn't aware of the problem until I noticed today that it wasn't recording at all.

To explain it in a bit more detail, these are summaries of the trips I made where the problems started occurring, with a description next to them as to how much the dashcam registered. ('fine' means it got everything, from departure to parking)

21-9 18:00-18:05 (fine)

22-9 08:30-08:53 (fine)
22-9 17:29-18:00 (fine)

25-9 08:39-09:09 (fine)
25-9 17:59-18:12 (missing data, last vid starts 18:11:19 ends 18:12:25 while driving)
25-9 18:43-18:46 (fine) (recording resumed after doing groceries)

25-9 20:21-20:23 (missing data, last vid starts 20:21:35 ends 20:23:10 while driving)
25-9 21:53-21:56 (fine)

26-9 08:14-08:22 (missing data, last vid starts 08:20:26 ends 08:22:38 while driving)
26-9 18:29-18:45 (fine)

26-9 19:34-19:57 (fine)
26-9 21:03-21:03 (missing data. first vid cut off right away after 11 seconds; on what would be a 20min drive)
26-9 21:23-21:24 (fine) (recording resumed after tanking gas)

27-9 08:39-09:02 (fine)
27-9 ??? Did not capture anything on the way home, at all.
Same goes for: 28-9, 29-9, 2-10, 3-10, 4-10, 5-10... Nothing

Today, 5-10 (October 5, to rule out any ambiguity ;-) ), I checked the dashcam for the first time in weeks and noticed all of this. It didn't even want to record when I pressed the onscreen button. No error message, no error sound: just nothing happens. The SD had 432 MB available, 28 GB used. The recordings are 404 MB big, so there should have been enough room. The /Video/ folder has 156 items, and I could write a textfile to it without any issue.

I then tried a different (empty) Micro SD: it instantly started recording. I put back the (full) Transcend: nothing happened. Then I formatted the Transcend from the settings menu, and voila, it started recording.

So a reformat did the trick for now, but I bet this is going to come back. It almost seems as if it the device gets into some kind of deadlock, where the dashcam can't start recording due to lack of space, but at the same time it doesn't cleanup old recordings. Very odd...

Almost a week after reformatting I went through all files on the SD. The first file is FILE0032 dating from 7-10, last one is FILE0107 from 11-10 (today). All recordings are there and none were cut off early. The SD usage is at 28GB used with 732MB space left, so it doesn't have any problems clearing up the oldest recordings. All seems fine again for now.

So a reformat did the trick for now, but I bet this is going to come back. It almost seems as if it the device gets into some kind of deadlock, where the dashcam can't start recording due to lack of space, but at the same time it doesn't cleanup old recordings. Very odd...

As I feared, the issue came back..

Noticed during my daily commute this morning that the "recording" indicator was off. Pressed the record button, but nothing happened. When I drove back home in the evening it started recording without a problem and continued to do so for 30 minutes. I went through the 150 recordings on the card, dating back to 3 days ago (32GB is really small), and this was the only issue this time. But still, it's an unreliable situation.

What do you guys think, is it possible that the Transcend High Endurance 32GB is somehow not a good fit for the Mio MiVue 658? Should I try another cardtype, possibly larger? Or is it more likely that the MiVue is at fault? (given that the card is recommended by everyone)

Thanks in advance.

The Mio MiVue 658 WiFi in my wife's car is just over four years old. We have been locked down virus-wise for a good few months now so I haven't been giving it much attention. Previously, in February it began exhibiting exactly the same problems described here. As it had previously worked perfectly I didn't question the suitability of the SD card. I had tinkered around with it half heartedly but anticipated needing to buy a replacement when we got back to using the car again.

Yesterday a conversation prompted me to take it out of the car and give it some more serious thought on my desk where I could get a better look at it.

It was quite happy to sit on the desk connected to a USB battery pack, with no SD card in it, pretending to be working. If I put the card in, it paused and restarted recording every time it began a new clip. I altered the clip lengths to confirm this. However, each time, after a low but varying number of clips it stopped working and needed to be restarted either by the button or powering off and on again.

A breakthrough came when I noticed that although it was stuttering through recording clips, nothing was being written to the card(32GB). It only contained a section of a journey made in February. It seemed possible that my problem was just that the card wasn't being recognised. It seemed unlikely that there would by physical damage to it but not impossible that the card connector could benefit from a clean. I gave the SD card contacts a good clean with isoproply alcohol and while it was still wet, jabbed it in and out of the card slot about ten times with the camera powered down.

It seemed to do the trick immediately, all the stuttering between clips stopped and it ran for 15 minutes. I stopped it then and returned the clip size to 3 minutes and set it going again. It ran for two hours and fifteen minutes before I switched it off. All the clips were on the card and there was apparently nothing wrong with it. It is now back in the car and behaving normally there too. We'll have to see how it goes when we get driving around again but I'm optimistic.

Back