Mobius hardwire

Dano28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a Mobius camera and and thinking of hardwiring it using a fuse piggy back.

Confused on a few points do I need to convert the 12v to 5v to power the camera? Was looking on this forum and found this guide http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=13404 why did he cut the fuse out though?

Have looked at a hardwire kit on a site that recommends this http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/12v-cigarette-lighter-power-socket-adapter.html#tabs but seen as I already have a 12v socket in the car I'm not sure of the benefit, more discreet maybe I can hide it where I want??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Thanks.

That what I don't understand in the how to post above how he is only getting 5v to the camera?

My 12v sockets in the car are permantly live therefore it was easier for me to purchased along with the mobius a hardwire kit and make a connection in the fuse box for the front camera, for my rear camera another kit but made a connection in the rear wiper motor so both cameras are now configured to start recording as soon as the ignition is switched on also removed batteries and fitted super caps.

How did you hard wire it into the fuse box, piggy back fuse connector?

Yes I did very difficult to get one here in Spain garage looked at me as though I was nuts when I showed them a photo of one.

Get yourself one of these...

Far better for hardwiring and cheap as chips. I've got one in my Merc powering a Mobius.

Ok thanks for the suggestions

No problem Dano28 it was all new to me installing an in-car camera

Hi,

Is there an idiot’s guide there somewhere on how to undo hardwiring of mobius. I got it installed by somebody who I don’t see anymore. The hardware kit used was similar to the one shown in the link:

https://www.joovuu.com/gb/batteries-powerbanks/150-hardwire-kit-micro.html

Edit: seeing there’s been no replies, is there any guide at all about how to hardwire mobius without fuse piggyback fuse? It’ll be useful for reverse hardwiring .

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well to undo hardwiring that splices onto an ignition or permanent live feed is to simply undo the splice. If it's soldered on then you might have some trouble and might have to cut and make a new joint.

Hardwiring without a piggy-back fuse isn't difficult per say. All you need to do is find a wire that has an ignition live if you dont want to use parking mode. an example would be your courtesy lights (or "dome lights", "map lights", etc.) which will have a 12v ignition live going to the light bulbs somewhere. You just splice in your positive cable somewhere and find ground for the negative cable. Typically that is a rather permanent solution (or will at least damage the insulating layer on the original wire). Undoing it could be as simple as cutting the spliced wire off as short as possible, and wrapping the exposed joint in electrical tape.

The only danger is if the camera draws enough current to trip the original fuse. That's unlikely to happen however, given the camera pulls 500-1000mA max.

Back