Mobius Not Turning On

liveinxs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius ActionCam, Front, Rear and both Sides
I see a lot of people are having issues where the Mobius fails to come on, when the vehicle is started..

I think I might have the solution, I have purchased a 12v switch, which can be set to turn on and off, in many different ways..

I have mine set, so that when it senses a 12v signal, it turns on, but then goes into a setup, whereas it repeats the process, over and over again, it is set to cycle the power on and off, every 1 second..

I have noticed, that when anyone of my 4 mobius cams, fails to start, all I have to do is unplug it at the mini USB, and plug it right back in, and then it turns on..

So my thought, is that if we can repeatedly send a on and off signal to the cam, it should remedy, any issue of it not starting..

Only downside I feel might happen is, is if the cam shuts down, short of 1 second, and even my cams, all contains super capacitors, I don't believe that will happen, I believe, it will turn back on in time to prevent a shutdown..

Only issue so far, is getting a warm day to install the switch and test it..

Any input on this is welcome, also, what has been the shutdown time of the mobius with a super capacitors installed...

I have enclosed a short video of the switch in action...

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/inxs996/media/20150224_123054.mp4.html

if that's going to constantly switch on and off I'm not sure that's going to work for you longer term, a delay timer before starting is more likely to help

if that's going to constantly switch on and off I'm not sure that's going to work for you longer term, a delay timer before starting is more likely to help
Well the switch can be configured in many different ways, and the way I look at it, if I get 1 year of constant, no worry startup, I have no problem, replacing a 15.00 switch, once a year..and by doing as you suggested, it is no different, then if I turn the vehicle on, by using the key, without using the switch..

Well the switch can be configured in many different ways, and the way I look at it, if I get 1 year of constant, no worry startup, I have no problem, replacing a 15.00 switch, once a year..and by doing as you suggested, it is no different, then if I turn the vehicle on, by using the key, without using the switch..

the no start problem is normally due to power cut from starting the car during camera boot, a delay timer can halt that process until after you've started the car, constantly cycling the power I think might cause you issues though with the instant shutdown process the camera uses

the no start problem is normally due to power cut from starting the car during camera boot, a delay timer can halt that process until after you've started the car, constantly cycling the power I think might cause you issues though with the instant shutdown process the camera uses
Well I guess if got nothing to lose, by giving your suggestion a try, maybe a two second delay, let you know how it goes..thanks

To be honest I don't think it matters if you kill the $15 power supply, was just more concerned about damage to the cameras themselves that you'd want to avoid

Your idea is not going to work. While testing the power-on functionality I used a relay hooked up to my PC. I then wrote a program to control when and how the relay would turn on and off. I varied the on and off times to check when the camera would 'miss' the power-on. The only way to successfully turn on the camera if you have power-on problems is to delay the 5V until you can guarantee you have a constant voltage. A delay relay is a much better solution - wait, say, 10 seconds after voltage is sensed and then supply power. If you can configure your switch to work like this it will work, a constant on/off will not work reliably.

Your idea is not going to work. While testing the power-on functionality I used a relay hooked up to my PC. I then wrote a program to control when and how the relay would turn on and off. I varied the on and off times to check when the camera would 'miss' the power-on. The only way to successfully turn on the camera if you have power-on problems is to delay the 5V until you can guarantee you have a constant voltage. A delay relay is a much better solution - wait, say, 10 seconds after voltage is sensed and then supply power. If you can configure your switch to work like this it will work, a constant on/off will not work reliably.

this is the switch i am using, can be configured in many different ways..

this switch is a 12v, but will be installed prior to the 12v to 5v converters, that feed the cams...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00P0TZ5CY

The specs say "close or disconnect upon a certain set time". That should do exactly what you want - Close the relay after, say, 10 seconds of power on CH1. Open the relay after, say, 20 secs. of an open CH1. The 12v power to DC+ should be constant, unswitched 12V with CH1 connected to your ignition switch.
When the relay closes you'll have 12V on the Normally Open (NO) contact which needs to be converted to 5V. Pretty simple.

The specs say "close or disconnect upon a certain set time". That should do exactly what you want - Close the relay after, say, 10 seconds of power on CH1. Open the relay after, say, 20 secs. of an open CH1. The 12v power to DC+ should be constant, unswitched 12V with CH1 connected to your ignition switch.
When the relay closes you'll have 12V on the Normally Open (NO) contact which needs to be converted to 5V. Pretty simple.
yes it's a very versatile switch, in fact , I am gonna install it today, after breakfast, and will post my findings...

Back