Mobius Recognized as a Storage Device by Car USB Ports?

slyfoxdc

Reaction score
Country
Canada
New to dash cams and Mobius.

I have a 2015 Mazda 3 GS, which as 2 USB ports and a 12V port next to each other. When I bought Mobius, I assumed that I could just plug it into one of the USB ports and enable auto-record with loop recording on. However, it turns out that the car recognizes Mobius as a storage device and it appears on my entertainment system.

1. Does this mean that my only option is to use the supplied 12V adapter that powers Mobius as a separate device?

2. If Mobius is powered by a 12V adapter, will it turn off by itself if I turn the car off or will it continue recording forever until I unplug the USB from the 12V adapter?

3. In case I will ever want to add a rear window dash cam (redundant?) should I get a 12V adapter with two USB ports?

Thank you.

Last edited:
To the camera your car looks just like a computer as the data lines are active, these ports rarely supply enough current anyway so best to use the proper adapter

1. Does this mean that my only option is to use the supplied 12V adapter that powers Mobius as a separate device?
- Yes
- You can also get a 12V-5V DC to USB converter, a mini ATM-LP fuse tap, 6ft USB to USB mini/micro (whichever your cam accepts) cable and hardwire it to your car for a more permanent solution. The new Mazda's have a fuse box on the drivers side which makes this very easy, and this way you won't have any wires floating about.

2. If Mobius is powered by a 12V adapter, will it turn off by itself if I turn the car off or will it continue recording forever until I unplug the USB from the 12V adapter?
-Yes, test it out and see. The Mazda's generally have one cigarette lighter outlet and another 12V outlet. The cig lighter (near the dash) turns off and the 12V outlet (normally under the armrest) is always powered.

3. In case I will ever want to add a rear window dash cam (redundant?) should I get a 12V adapter with two USB ports?
- Yes, and you'd need a long cable to go with it.
- You can go down the hardwire route (they make dc converters with 2 outputs as well), again a long cable will be needed

Thanks for your reply tmanz.

From what I have figure so far, the 12V socket is always on even if I turn the car off, Mobius continues recording. There is also only once 12V socket that is located next to the two USB ports under the arm rest. It seems to me that connecting Mobius to the fuse box is the best option to make Mobius autonomous (no need to plug and unplug the wire).

This is my first car (lease) and I have never hardwired anything before. However, I am willing to learn.

I ordered my Mobius Stealth DashCam Driving Recorder Package from mobius-actioncam.com/ and the package includes a 6ft USB cable (micro) and a USB Car Charger.

From what you are saying, I need to get 12V-5V DC to USB converter and a mini ATM-LP fuse tap.

Are these the right items?

- mini ATM-LP fuse tap
- 12V-5V DC to USB

If not, can you please recommend a specific item on Amazon or elsewhere that you would buy yourself?

Here is what the fuse box looks like on Mazda 3 (2015)
mazda3-2015-fuese-box.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a dual version of that converter if you ever wish to install a second cam:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L6YQZH6/

Otherwise you have found the right items. I'd also buy a lug connection kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000K7GRCI/

You'll have to connect the negative wire from the converter to a ground point in your car. Most mazdas have a screw nut that holds the fuse panel, this is a good ground.

Last edited:
Just saw your picture. Yes you should be good to go. May I also suggest a cheap voltmeter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B7CS3UY/

To test voltages and grounding point. It looks like there is a nut near the bottom of the panel that can be used as a ground. Test this nut to see if its connected to your vehicle ground (continuity test using a voltmeter).

Thank you for all of your recommendations. I purchased most of the needed items on eBay and got the lug connection kit on Amazon. Will have to wait a few weeks for items to arrive.

From your experience, is there a need for a second camera recording the rear view?

Its a nice to have to give you more information around the video recorded by your front camera. It can put things into context.

I feel a front facing camera is enough, because in most accidents you will have to prove your innocence if you are at the tail end.

By aware that the 2015 Mazda 3 has smaller fuses than most. I would call it a sub mini blade fuse. My 2008 Miata has smaller blade fuses than the normal blade fuses, but this new Mazda 3
has even smaller ones than the Miata.

Here is a picture withBlades.jpg the three sizes of blade fuses that I know of. The blue one on the left is from the 2015 Mazda 3, the green one in the middle is from my 2008 Miata.

Here is a picture withView attachment 12517 the three sizes of blade fuses that I know of. The blue one on the left is from the 2015 Mazda 3, the green one in the middle is from my 2008 Miata.
I believe there are 6 or so types of auto blade fuses. Pretty sure the blue one is called a low profile mini fuse.

New to dash cams and Mobius.

I have a 2015 Mazda 3 GS, which as 2 USB ports and a 12V port next to each other. When I bought Mobius, I assumed that I could just plug it into one of the USB ports and enable auto-record with loop recording on. However, it turns out that the car recognizes Mobius as a storage device and it appears on my entertainment system.

Thank you.

You can potentially avoid all this trouble with fuses and converters and go back to your original plan to use your Mazda's USB ports. You just need to modify a standard USB cable to avoid having the camera recognized as a storage volume by your entertainment system by disabling the appropriate pins #2 & #3 - (by cutting these two data wires) on the standard 5 pin cable. Your Mazda's USB ports would need to supply at least a minimum of 500mA and preferably 1 amp for its power source to be viable for a Mobius.

Yes, by all means install a rear facing camera! Mobius is perfect for this application.

Mobiuspins.png

Last edited:
...is there a need for a second camera recording the rear view?

Initially, I was content with just the forward facing camera. But after a while, I got a niggling feeling that my setup was incomplete without a rear facing cam.

I've read of too many cases of cars being hit in the rear, only for the offender (possibly drunk or uninsured) to do a u-turn & drive away, before the victim has the chance to get the license plate details.

So yes I do recommend a two cam setup. I haven't yet accepted the need for side facing cams...

I'm toying with the idea of side ones mate now I've got three in the front and two in the rear - it's time for something new ;)

I'm toying with the idea of side ones mate now I've got three in the front and two in the rear - it's time for something new ;)

I love having side cams and I assume you've been viewing the relevant threads about this topic for some examples.
Long before I owned dash cams I was almost broadsided by a guy who ran a red light as I was driving through an intersection. Luckily, I was able to floor my accelerator and get out of his way in the nick of time. If anything like that should ever happen again I will be ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly have mate, I've been reading more than posting lately but loving the results you guys have been getting - I'm working away for a month after today so it's one of the jobs on the todo list ;)

So yes I do recommend a two cam setup. I haven't yet accepted the need for side facing cams...

The only car accident I've been in was deemed my fault by the insurance company because neither me nor the other car got the license plate of someone who ran a red.

If the tech was available when it happened, a wide angle rear camera may have recorded the red light runners number plate, a side camera would have definitely recorded it.

Here is a picture withView attachment 12517 the three sizes of blade fuses that I know of. The blue one on the left is from the 2015 Mazda 3, the green one in the middle is from my 2008 Miata.

Thank you very much for informing me about this detail as I have ordered the wrong fuse from ebay. Got the mini one now after reading this

Update

I bough a 15 feet USB to mini cable and added some regular tape to the two middle pins of the USB to prevent Mazda from recognizing Mobius as a storage device. This approach is working fine.

I also was able to run the wire behind the plastic parts of Mazda's interior and connect it all the way to the arm rest side where the USB ports are.

Once I get the equipment from eBay I will probably reconnect a shorter USB wire to the fuse box. Meanwhile the above described approach is working.

Back