Mobius vs Mini 0803

Last edited by a moderator:
As the video was shot at night, they both exhibit the inability of virtually all dashcams to capture European / US plate details in low-light.
Agreed, and during the daytime it probably depends on if you use the extra resolution available on the 0803, in good lighting it can make good use of the 1296 resolution mode which puts it at a significant advantage over the Mobius 1080 even if at pixel level it is not quite up to the same standard. However a lot of people seem to use the 0803 in 1080 resolution...

See...

Skip to 13mins 05secs. In the Mini 0803, 1296p delivers no video quality advantage over 1080p, but generates larger files, which is doubtless why owners prefer 1080p mode.

In the absence of a simultaneously shot daylight video comparison, speculation is pointless, but it's reasonable to suggest that they could both be described as 'very good'.

Skip to 13mins 05secs. In the Mini 0803, 1296p delivers no video quality advantage over 1080p, but generates larger files, which is doubtless why owners prefer 1080p mode.
That was not the case in my testing, I could see noticeably more detail, more or less in line with there being 44% more pixels. Certainly enough difference to make the difference between being able to read a plate and not being able to do so in some circumstances and if I ever find myself in one of those circumstances and needing to read the plate then... Of course at night it is completely pointless, you might as well use 720 mode.

That was not the case in my testing, I could see noticeably more detail, more or less in line with there being 44% more pixels. Certainly enough difference to make the difference between being able to read a plate and not being able to do so in some circumstances...

Techmoan's video indicates that you're mistaken. If you have video evidence to the contrary, then please post it on YouTube. Please also post links to it here, & in the comments under Techmoan's video, & in his blog comments at...

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/6...cam-with-a-screen.html?currentPage=4#comments

Techmoan's video indicates that you're mistaken. If you have video evidence to the contrary, then please post it on YouTube. Please also post links to it here, & in the comments under Techmoan's video, & in his blog comments at...

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/6...cam-with-a-screen.html?currentPage=4#comments
There is already a comment from somebody in Techmoan's comments:

Resolution: I totally agree with the ‘Techmoan’ review, in that 1296P is not yet providing the increase in resolution that would be expected from ‘Super-HD’, obviously some further work is needed to sort this out.
However, 1296P mode did provide a very slight improvement in reading the number plate, simply because the image was less pixelated.

Maybe people are expecting too much, it is only a 44% increase in pixels, enough to make a difference but maybe not worthy of the description "Super-HD" from which you might expect a 400% improvement!

To see the difference you really need to freeze the video, zoom in and examine the frame at the pixel level. My monitor can't even manage full 1080, I certainly can't see the difference watching Youtube video!

Just done a test in the garden, this image shows the difference between the three resolutions, all images taken at the same distance from the object:

Resolution0801.jpg

There is no obvious difference in quality as such but the higher resolutions simply have more pixels so have more space to fit information in the image so edges become better defined and objects become better separated.

I believe the Mini 0803 does better than the Mobius in darker conditions (night time), so that will help with recording any important information.

Kelvin

Back