Modifying a G1W-C to Permanent Mounting

rudolf diesel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok, this all started when I bought an i1000 dash cam: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/i1000-f70-x6-modification-to-hidden-mount.8071/#post-101042

Like most first time buyer, I bought on features and description without doing a full reseching on it. It worked fine enough for what it is (and it still does) but it just isn't what I expected it to be. Mainly: 1080P as teh seller listed it as.

So I picked up a G1W-c. I'm not looking to spend big bucks on a cam, so this one fit the bill and still gives good quality footage.

The plan is to remote mount the CMOS module in the WS and mount the screen/control head/DVR portion in the overhead console of my truck.

Power supply will be hard wired.

This will make the footprint visible in the front window very small. Important in North America, eternal home of the automobile "smash and grab" bandits.

As mentioned, the rest of the unit will go into the overhead console. I had a smaller overhead console in my truck, but have switched it over to the larger suburban rear controls console to give me enough room to fit the cam body. Both consoles can be seen here:

DSC00953.jpg

Those are not my actual consoles, just examples. You can see how the suburban console offers more space in front.

I've already got the suburban console mounted and the controls removed.

I did loose my compass and temp display with the old console, so I just installed a gntx 261 mirror which displays both.

I've already go the 26 pin ribbon extension cable. Now just have to wait for a few more bits and I can start working it all into a permanent install.

:)

So I had a glitch with my log in (IE: Rudolph diesel). I used to use the "facebook" log in option, but that crapped out for some reason.

This is my new log in name (Camfan).

Future posts will be made under this new screen name.

:)

Well, my g1wc has gone t!ts up before I got a chance to do anything besides remove the front case half for a look inside:

We'll see what the seller has to say about it I guess....

Has the seller gotten back to you about your G1W rudolf? I just bought one myself and am getting a little nervous seeing all these posts about the G1W-C dying on them :(

Back