More intelligent parking mode?

nielsnl

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I work from home, meaning my car sits in the drive-way most of the time. As a result the battery eventually discharges to the point where the camera is shut off.

This is not a big deal, as the drive-way is covered by regular security camera's. I don't really need the parking-mode when the car is parked at home.

I do however need the parking mode when I drive into town and run an errand. These often take several hours. Unfortunately the short drive there doesn't charge the car's battery sufficient to cover several hours of parking mode.

Ideally the camera looks at the GPS data, or the presence of my home Wi-Fi, to know that I'm at home and don't need parking mode, saving the battery for those moments that I do need it. (That will still drain the battery eventually, but much less so. The occasional longer drive should then be able to cover my needs.)

Unless I missed something, the current camera's (I have the A129 Pro) do not support this, so this is more of a suggestion to Viofo than anything else.

In the meantime I am curious how others deal with this. And/or if you have any tips on how to deal with this.

When you park at home, you can long press the power button (menu button) to turn the camera off instead of entering parking mode. This should solve the problem as long as you remember to do it. If you are using the HK3 hardwire kit then it will wake up again automatically when you next start the engine.

Several people have already asked for it to be automatic based on GPS, and Viofo are aware of the requests. Not sure why it has not been implemented yet, maybe it needs the new SDK from Novatek and will be in the next firmware update? Or maybe it will be a new feature for the A139? Until it arrives, we will have to keep waiting!

Thanks for the reply. Will see if I can get myself to remember to turn it off manually. Knowing that it powers back on automatically certainly helps!

I was thinking about exactly the same, I park in garage at home and at work, so I don't need the camera to be on.

Right now I have parking mode off as default, and when I need camera to be on during parking, I simply turn it on after it turns off. This is ok for shorter periods of course, not for all-night parking.
I think this is much more convenient to turn the camera on only when needed as opposed to think about turning it off every time I park at home or at work.

Maybe it would be good to be able to quickly turn on/off the parking mode via button, because I do not like to go to menu to change it all the time. I would like to see the button for switching to H265 to be customizable, and one of the functions that could be assigned to it could be parking mode on/off? That would be awesome.

I will prefer to have parking mode on a timer, and only having it set to 1 hour or so, this will cover all my day to day shopping and at home i don't need it as i have CCTV on the car.
And if on rare occasion i need longer parking guard i will just up the timer.
But i am not aware if the viofo cameras have this option.

But some sort of geo fence will be fine too, not least for those that park in a secure place like a garage.

Back