Mount on Dashboard

rpnewton

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been wondering why everyone mounts their dashcam behind the mirror and if there are downsides to mounting it on the dashboard? My thoughts:
  • we have a q5. I'm tall and sit high, so the only view the cam would obstruct would be of the car hood.
  • easier to run the wires discretely.
Am I missing something? and if not, any advice as to dash cams, it would need to attach from below to the dashboard, not from above to the windshield.
Thank you!

up high, aimed down gets a far better view of what's going on, easier on the auto white balance to have a bit of downward aim also

you're tall and sit high and have a good view of the road, trying getting down at dashboard level and picture what kind of view you're going to have

in most cars discrete wiring is not possible if mounted down low

I've been wondering why everyone mounts their dashcam behind the mirror and if there are downsides to mounting it on the dashboard? My thoughts:
  • we have a q5. I'm tall and sit high, so the only view the cam would obstruct would be of the car hood.
  • easier to run the wires discretely.
Am I missing something? and if not, any advice as to dash cams, it would need to attach from below to the dashboard, not from above to the windshield.
Thank you!

The G5 has a center speaker under the dashboard?

201407281120137203.jpg

Right now my G1Wc sits just above the dash at the inner edge in my old Ford full-size workvan in a home-made mount. About 12" to the windshield and the wipers clear the area but also block some of the view when they aren't in use. It shows just enough of the corners of the fenders to mark my position and also sees traffic lights well. When I pull up behind a stopped car at the normal distance, a lot is obscured but you can still work out my position and tell I'm not too close. It works but the position is not optimum. Remember that my dashboard is about as high as the middle of most car windows which helps a lot with my low mount!

I have an overhead console where it will eventually be mounted in a flip-down manner but right now there's no space to spare under it so I had to make do until I can rework things up there (and there's a LOT to rework). Two things to think about: On top of the dash your cam will get full sun and get baked. Also most cars don't have an easy way to mount things solidly there unless you use double-stick tape of some sort. I prefer solid mounts for all my gear which is why I made my own.

I use Velcro, works fine for me.

Beware of cams that tell you they have night vision using infra-red LEDs. This is advertising designed to trap the unwary. Infra red bounces back off glass giving you a whiteout.

Depends on your car and weather you drive it in.

If I mount anything on summer here they melt, but if I put on top the dotted tint it will protect it from burning

Back