Mounting camera on 2016 Subaru Liberty (legacy) with Eyesight 3.0

Ojay

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello all, I have just joined this forum hoping to seek some guidance in relation to my problem.

I am currently looking at the blackvue dr650gw -2ch for my subaru however because the car has 3 cameras at the front (2 stereoscopic cameras on both sides of the rear mirror and a central camera right in the middle of the rear mirror, mounting options has become a problem. i was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem and would like to know about what they did.
the only workaround i can see is if i mount the camera directly above the drivers side portion of the window (as indicated by the piece of paper i cut out in the dimensions of the front camera of the dr650, now this comes with the problem in that that section of glass has a slight curve and when mounted the camera will not only be off centre but will also be facing slightly towards the right, thus making the view of the camera to the left side of the car compromised. i have not bought the camera yet due to this problem i have perceived in my head, is there anyone out there who has any photos of what the camera will see when mounted in this particular location or should i just look elsewhere for another camera which will suit me better? i like the features of the blackvue namely the super capacitor instead of battery and the parking mode where it turns on when motion is detected and starts recording while you are away from your car, i also like the general form factor of the blackvue in that the other 2 channel cameras all seem too big and blocky especially when considering the location i will be needing to mount it.
Attached are some pictures for perspective

Also if it is possible to anyone with a 2015-2016 subaru liberty/legacy and has a dr650 and is able to move their front camera to that location and able to provide a screen grab shot of what the camera would see that would be amazing (its a long shot but i might as well try)

Thank You for your time and any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.resize.png resize dash.jpg

i like the features of the blackvue namely the super capacitor instead of battery and the parking mode where it turns on when motion is detected and starts recording while you are away from your car
You will be disappointed with the park mode. the sensitivity is so high that it will turn on and run continuously. And.. I do not know about the capacitor / battery mentioned.. It only provides power long enough to provide a controlled shut down when you power it off.. mere seconds.

Hello all, I have just joined this forum hoping to seek some guidance in relation to my problem.

I am currently looking at the blackvue dr650gw -2ch for my subaru however because the car has 3 cameras at the front (2 stereoscopic cameras on both sides of the rear mirror and a central camera right in the middle of the rear mirror, mounting options has become a problem. i was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem and would like to know about what they did.
the only workaround i can see is if i mount the camera directly above the drivers side portion of the window (as indicated by the piece of paper i cut out in the dimensions of the front camera of the dr650, now this comes with the problem in that that section of glass has a slight curve and when mounted the camera will not only be off centre but will also be facing slightly towards the right, thus making the view of the camera to the left side of the car compromised. i have not bought the camera yet due to this problem i have perceived in my head, is there anyone out there who has any photos of what the camera will see when mounted in this particular location or should i just look elsewhere for another camera which will suit me better? i like the features of the blackvue namely the super capacitor instead of battery and the parking mode where it turns on when motion is detected and starts recording while you are away from your car, i also like the general form factor of the blackvue in that the other 2 channel cameras all seem too big and blocky especially when considering the location i will be needing to mount it.
Attached are some pictures for perspective

Also if it is possible to anyone with a 2015-2016 subaru liberty/legacy and has a dr650 and is able to move their front camera to that location and able to provide a screen grab shot of what the camera would see that would be amazing (its a long shot but i might as well try)

Thank You for your time and any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 22490 View attachment 22491

Thank you for your interest in our products. You will find some users have had a great experience and for some others the BlackVue didn't suit their needs.

We recommend purchasing from an authorised dealer, and this way you will have access to full warranty and technical support from our team, based here in Aus.

I have seen a few installs in the new Subaru vehicles, and yes that is a lot of sensors. But essentially you can mount the camera underneath the sensor in the middle, or to the side of them.

When installing the camera you can use the WiFi and App to access the live feed, and this will help you get the best angle in your car possible.

Parking mode works by recording on motion or shock, it will record if movement is detected. And as Ralph mentioned above, for him and possibly others, this was too sensitive as the camera records people walking past etc.. It really depends on the customer and what they would prefer. But the camera won't run if there is no movement detected is ie. if the car is parked in your garage.

Which ever way you go, that is fine and we wish you the best of luck.

We always strive to give the best service to our customers, so please take into account if you chose our product we will always do our best to help.

Welcome to the forum @Ojay
Thank you for the welcome, glad to be here :)

You will be disappointed with the park mode. the sensitivity is so high that it will turn on and run continuously. And.. I do not know about the capacitor / battery mentioned.. It only provides power long enough to provide a controlled shut down when you power it off.. mere seconds.
Am i getting my dash cams mixed up in that i thought this cam had a sensitivity option in the wifi settings to tone down the sensitivity of the cameras in parking mode? or is it even with the cameras at their lowest sensitivity they will trigger its activation and recording and continue recording till the battery is drained to its cutoff point? do they not turn off after a few minutes or so once motion has been detected and gone?
could you suggest another dual channel camera that would not disappoint me with parking mode? i have taken a slight look at the thinkvue f750 and the Lukas lk7950 duo but the only things i do not like so much is their form factors, ideally i would love to have a camera that is like the K1s where its cams and control module are separate so only thing you will see is small cameras mounted, this however as i believe does not have parking mode and a few videos online have shown people having problems with the usb sockets restarting the cam whenver nudged or bumped...

Don't know exactly what the sensor/camera housing looks like on the Legacy but have you considered mounting the camera on the housing instead of on the side? Something like this -

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/frontmountinsideflashsmall-jpg.13896/
That is another possible option, i had not considered that option maily because the camera would be in plain view like a pair of dogs nuts hanging from the mirror lol, however the picture you showed me and coupled with the form factor of the camera, this might be a viable option to consider to, thank you for this suggestion

Thank you for your interest in our products. You will find some users have had a great experience and for some others the BlackVue didn't suit their needs.

We recommend purchasing from an authorised dealer, and this way you will have access to full warranty and technical support from our team, based here in Aus.

I have seen a few installs in the new Subaru vehicles, and yes that is a lot of sensors. But essentially you can mount the camera underneath the sensor in the middle, or to the side of them.

When installing the camera you can use the WiFi and App to access the live feed, and this will help you get the best angle in your car possible.

Parking mode works by recording on motion or shock, it will record if movement is detected. And as Ralph mentioned above, for him and possibly others, this was too sensitive as the camera records people walking past etc.. It really depends on the customer and what they would prefer. But the camera won't run if there is no movement detected is ie. if the car is parked in your garage.

Which ever way you go, that is fine and we wish you the best of luck.

We always strive to give the best service to our customers, so please take into account if you chose our product we will always do our best to help.
Thank you for your feedback, I was planning to buy them from dashcams Australia which i believe is an authorised distributor for blackvue, so i have that sorted.
in regards to the subarus that have mounted your camera, would you be able to show me pictures of where they were mounted and had no problem blocking any of the OEM gadgetry because i cannot for the life of me find any pictures of anyone mounting cameras in general to the new 2016 subarus with Eyesight 3.0 (namely the 3rd camera module for the high beam assist and brake light identification features), i can only find people with subarus with eyesight 2.0 where the 3rd camera right in centre is omitted.

Thanks again for everyones input, really appreciate it.

Am i getting my dash cams mixed up in that i thought this cam had a sensitivity option in the wifi settings to tone down the sensitivity of the cameras in parking mode? or is it even with the cameras at their lowest sensitivity they will trigger its activation and recording and continue recording till the battery is drained to its cutoff point? do they not turn off after a few minutes or so once motion has been detected and gone?
As I understand the sensitivity feature to work, is that when it detects movement it goes back 5 seconds and starts recording. The length of "that" clip depends on your settings on how long each clip is. (not adjustable yet in the cloud version). So, mine is set for 3 minute clips and thus on movement "I" get a 3 minute and 5 second video. But, the camera continues to monitor.. sees more movement and records again.. and again. A leaf blowing in the wind, a branch moving a 100 feet away, clouds all set the camera off on even the lowest settings. And..contrary to Blackvue Australia..even in a closed garage, when my vehicle is facing the closed door.. a strong wind makes the door (standard roll up 2 car garage door) move enough to "occasionally" set the camera off :)

... any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have an answer for your mounting question directly, but a good resource for you will be the the forums you'll find at subaruoutback.org

Your vehicle is a Legacy, but the Outback is essentially the same car, certainly so far as the Eyesight installation and functionality is concerned.

Here's a link to the Generation 5 forum, which specifically covers Outback/Legacy model years 2015 to the present.

A search on that forum will yield numerous threads on the topic of dashcam installs which don't cause problems with Eyesight functionality, and you might find it fruitful to register and ask your questions there too.
Several people there report they were able to install a cam behind the mirror without compromising the vehicle's Eyesight functionality.

In some respects your issue is more of a vehicle specific one than a general dashcam one, and there are some pretty ingenious people on that forum with a history of all kinds of experimentation with your exact vehicle. Some have even fabricated their own mounting brackets.

Back