My ideal Dash Cam

SergeiF

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
This is my first post (been lurker for very long time).
This post is based on experience of the dash cameras I had or came across.
The cameras I have/had/came across are:
Blackvue DR400G II (too much compression, really crappy auto exposure)
Navman/Mio MiVue 388 (piece of crap to be honest, no positives I can think of)
Mini0806 x4 (stability issues, wire issue, recently released and already obsolete)
Mini0805 x2 (old firmware, a bit too much compression)
G1W (a bit too cheaply made, image quality so so, feels like plastic toy and crappy mount)

So based on the cameras above here is what I would like to buy (I don't think this product exists, surprise me ;))

• Resolution: at least 1080p @ 30fps (would love to have 4k or 1080p @ 60fps)
  • Compression: at least H264 High profile, with ability to select bitrate and I-frame frequency (would love HEVC/H265)
  • No reliance on internal battery (separate internal feed from constant 12V/Batt. supply for memory and shutdown). Similar to what car stereos do.
  • Separate recorder from camera. This way camera becomes a small discreet unit. Recorder having at least two full HD (or UHD) inputs.
  • Would love to have SSD instead of MicroSD cards (since recorder is separate, it is possible to make it physically larger). Or at least option to have CF. (MicroSD cards are very slow).
  • CPL (to remove glare) and gradient filter (to darken the sky).
  • GPS logging in an open format.
  • Option of different camera lens (ie 2.8mm or 4mm) and resolution.
  • Price bracket between $300US (single camera) - $500US (dual camera).
Reasoning for stand-alone recorder (separate from cameras) is following:
  • Thermal management becomes much easier (ie: case is heat sink)
  • Recording media options (CF or SSD)
  • Security: someone breaks into the car steals the cameras, they will most likely miss the hidden recorder with recording of said break in.
  • Fire safety: no more Lithium battery baking in the sun.
  • One recorder multiple cameras.
  • Cameras are much smaller (less obvious).
  • Better camera placement due to smaller cameras (less obstruction and less glare).
  • Due to size can run full blown OS (linux) with many more features.
  • Having GSM card option can double as GPS tracker.
I am yet to find anything even remotely close to this...
I simply fed up with crappiness of current offerings on the market.

Last edited:
Welcome SergeiF

Just read a little news about the H.265
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...ing-tech-deal-means-your-tv-isnt-a-dead-duck/

What you want is much in line with what i would like to see in future dashcams.

Getting CPL filters for such small cameras might be a problem, i think you will have to get them made by some one.
Smallest CPL glass i have seen is the glass for the 0806 dashcam and its still a wopping 23 mm in diameter.

I think the biggest challenge for future dashcams is providing much better niight footage, meaning we need much more light sensetive CMOS chips so the cameras dont have to drop to the slow 1/30 second as thats not good with movement in the footage.

Welcome SergeiF

Just read a little news about the H.265
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...ing-tech-deal-means-your-tv-isnt-a-dead-duck/

What you want is much in line with what i would like to see in future dashcams.

Getting CPL filters for such small cameras might be a problem, i think you will have to get them made by some one.
Smallest CPL glass i have seen is the glass for the 0806 dashcam and its still a wopping 23 mm in diameter.

I think the biggest challenge for future dashcams is providing much better niight footage, meaning we need much more light sensetive CMOS chips so the cameras dont have to drop to the slow 1/30 second as thats not good with movement in the footage.

The cameras themselves don't have to be tiny/pinhole sized. They can be 30mm diameter (or square), at that size they will still be way more discreet, then any camera/dvr combo out there. Regarding night sensitivity: larger sensor area is the only way (this also will improve grain issues).

The dash cam market is lagging behind. The budget IP cameras I have have better image quality and flexibility (regarding bitrate, I frame rate and codec profile) than the best dash cameras out there.

I am tempted as DIY project is to gut out couple of smaller IP cameras (remove IR, poe and body), put them in discreet enclosures (the boards on those are about 50mm diameter) connect a small PC (even rpi would be enough) and use ffmpeg/scripts to capture streams onto a SSD.

My 3 IP cameras dont bump out that high bitrate, and anyhow my cheap dashua NVR could not handle that much.
But they do allright i must say, not least the PTZ i have aimed at my car in the dark yard behind the apartmentblock i live in.

I want to win in lotto buy my Marauder truck and have a dual camera on a telescope mast on the roof, a 4 K camera and a termal ditto i can pan and tilt around as i please.
And offcourse a fjew fixed cameras here and there to capture angry ppl shooting and trowing molotow coctails at my "car" when i drive into areas where police and firedepartments dont seem to be welcome.

Back