N4 PRO REVIEW

Skylar132

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 PRO 2CH
N4 Pro, amazing camera

Full disclosure, this camera was given to me by vantrue free of charge. I admit this review has come late but that was due to ongoing issues with my personal life.

Initial impression
As always when unboxing a vantrue dash cam its reminiscent of any apple product with the unboxing experience feeling very pleasant and everything so neatly packaged. I was a big fan of the all black look on the dash cam as opposed to the gray accents featured on the N5 pro. Its a very heavy dash cam. During hot weather, in my opinion anyway the n4pro has more likelihood of falling off the windscreen or the adhesive failing but this can be easily rectified by the suction cup mount if this is a concern. The only design issue i have with the N4 pro (and the N5) is the straight rear camera cable as this makes installation compromised in vehicles with more slanted windscreens, although again this can be fixed with an L shaped USB C adapter.

Video quality
Over the last few years I have had a few different 4k dash cams from viofo and nextbase, but in my opinion the N4 pros 4k starvis 2 footage is stunning. I find license plates easy to read and its very easy to pick up on key details. The rear and interior 1080p cameras also perform exceptionally well, albeit not as well as the front camera, but they perform well for only recording in 1080p. The night vision of this camera was also a game changer for me. Using the new sony starvis 2 sensor it makes the night time footage a lot brighter compared to the last generation of 4k dash cams. When in complete darkness the front and interior cameras perform amazingly but the rear camera does leave some room for improvement.

Features
The N4 Pro boasts some features that are very useful in my opinion, such as the voice control which i found to be very responsive and is a good way to save clips on your dash cam without it distracting you or hindering your driving. They also sell an optional bluetooth remote that can lock videos and mute the audio which I find to be very convenient as you can stick it anywhere. Parking mode is also a big feature I find to be a necessity in any dash cam, especially buffered parked recording. The N4 pro does this well with its many parking mode options (collision detection, motion detection, time lapse and low bitrate) there is a form of parking mode for every use case. Although during hotter times its recommended to use impact only detection to prevent overheating or damage to the camera which is to be expected. Especially on a 4k 3 channel dash cam.

Final thoughts
Honestly, this dash cam exceeded my already high expectations, the stunning video quality, the useful features like parking mode and voice commands and the stellar build quality. I would have no problem recommending this camera, especially for those who are driving instructors or taxi drivers. But this camera would also be excellent even for the average motorist.

Front daytime:
Interior daytime:
Rear daytime:
Front night time:
Interior night time:
Rear night time:

Back