Need 4K+ and low field of view angle in single lens - recommendations.

WestOz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all... been running the Viofo A119S for over a year now with virtually no issues with the unit itself and been quite happy with it. However, I'm in need of better video quality for licence plates so I can zoom in with better resolution, and a low field of view angle would help increase object size. Been doing the comparos over the Viofo range including the A139, but I'm limited to single channel only, as the unit can't have a rear lens even if disableable.

Required specs:

Real 4K or better, not interpolated
Single lens
Screen, any size
3M mount
GPS, in optional mount style like the Viofo
128GB+
Capacitor

Desired, but not essential specs:

60 FPS
FOV ≤ 135°
Output in .mp4
CPL option

How about our new B4K dashcam?

Will PM you the link!

Required specs:

Real 4K or better, not interpolated
I'll recommend the Viofo A119 V3, although it is only 2K, it does give you your requested narrow FOV and the FPS and low motion blur.
If you definitely want the 4K then the A129 Pro matches your specification except maybe the FOV, but it does have more pixels per plate than the A119 V3.

Blueskysea's B4K is a lower cost option, nice image but it will record less detail than the A129 Pro, and not many people have tried it yet so we don't have much information on reliability.

There are a few other 4K cameras about, but none that I would recommend, especially for use in the heat of Australia. Blackvue's is getting old, Nextbase's uses a battery, Thinkware's is expensive. Most dashcams that claim to be 4K only contain 2K sensors and you are better off with the A119 V3.

If you've got space for a second cam and some DIY skills, the best daytime plate capture capability is probably a Mobius modified with a telephoto lens. Links HERE and HERE. Not a good substitute for regular dashcam work due to it's narrow FOV but with decent lighting these get plates at distances no other cams can even come close to. With supercaps instead of a battery it also handles high heat better than any other cam I know of. I wish Mobius would offer a factory-made version.

Phil

Thanks Nigel for that info; my heart is to remain with Viofo and I reckon I'll go with the A129. I note that after searching purchase options it only comes in the Pro Duo 4K, except that in one place (AliExpress) they have the A129 Pro 4K without the "Duo" and at considerable savings (AU$254 delivered, incl GPS & CPL)... that would be perfect for my needs, Haven't found this option elsewhere; correct me if I'm wrong.

Phil, thanks also... blown away by that guy's knowledge and efforts, a great read... I am very DIY savvy but won't be going there as I just want plug & play for a dash cam.

Cheers all :)

The A129 Pro single is state-of-the-art for single channel dashcam vid quality, and TBH I doubt that we will see better dashcam vids anytime soon (y)

Phil

that would be perfect for my needs, Haven't found this option elsewhere; correct me if I'm wrong.
Most people buy the Dual version so I guess most suppliers don't stock the single, but both should be available. The Duo version may sometimes shut down temporarily due to high temperatures in Australia, but as a single camera it should be OK except maybe when parked in the summer sun with all the windows shut. In daylight you wont get a better picture quality, at night it still does OK.

Viofo A129 Pro +GPS +CPL for AU$288.88 delivered (US$207.17) after coupon discounts, Viofo official store on AliExpress.

Now on the the way :).

Just a question on the 4K... I'm guessing that, since my 5 minute vids from my A119s are about 900MB @ 60FPS, the same size vid at 4K @ 30FPS would be roughly 1.8GB? If that's the case then the max compatible 256GB cards would be the only viable option, yeh? I f my maths is right, that would give just under 12 hours recording. Would there be a firmware update for 512GB compatibility?

Yeah 5 mine files in 4K are going to be big, but exactely how big i dont know, so at the very least you should get a 128 GB card for a system like that, but 256 GB are probably the best as aside for price and incompatibility with the camera hardware you cant really have a too big memory card.

Just a question on the 4K... I'm guessing that, since my 5 minute vids from my A119s are about 900MB @ 60FPS, the same size vid at 4K @ 30FPS would be roughly 1.8GB? If that's the case then the max compatible 256GB cards would be the only viable option, yeh? I f my maths is right, that would give just under 12 hours recording. Would there be a firmware update for 512GB compatibility?
The A129 Pro has 4x the number of pixels compared to the A119S, not 2x.

Doubling the frame rate does not require double the bits for the same image quality, since it is only recording changes over time, not changes between the frames, and you only have the same amount of change in the image over time. Doubling the frame rate just gives you twice the temporal resolution, which only needs 1 extra bit on the timing info as a minimum. Typically 60fps video uses an extra 30% bitrate over 30fps video, not 100%.

I believe the current firmware works with 512GB cards, but many people use it with smaller cards, mine has 128GB in it, perfectly viable for me, and if I am making a long distance trip then I will press the H265 button which supposedly gives better compression, and definitely uses less bitrate without obvious loss of quality.

You got me there... I was multiplying x 4 for the res, then dividing x 2 for the reduced FPS. Hey thanks for that bit of educational info... you've explained it in a way that I perfectly understand :).
I'll hold off on splashing out on 512GB cards (I would also need confirmation that the FW does support 512's), until I see how well the 256's go capacity-wise for time.

Back