Need to Read LP's/Highest Quality Video Available

ndrw

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I would like to purchase a dash cam and would like one that has the highest quality video available. I don't care how much it costs, as I'd like to do it right and get the best quality video possible the first go at it.

The only other option I request is that it is easy to move from vehicle to vehicle as I drive a work car and my personal car and would like to be able to place it in both.

The best video I have seen while downloading raw video files is from the Vico-Marcus 4. The one reason I don't care for this dash cam though is the km/h as I live in the United States. While not a deal breaker, I thought I would check to see if anything else is comparable.

Thanks for any help,

Andrew

I guess form-factor is not an issue for you, or you prefer discrete design ?

I guess form-factor is not an issue for you, or you prefer discrete design ?

Form factor nor discrete design is an issue for me. I just would like to know which will take the best quality video and is easy to move between vehicles.

I’ve not tested out any DVR’s apart from the few I’ve owned, what I can say is that if you are looking to capture LP and cost isn’t an issue then don’t go looking for a dedicated DVR, what I think you need to look at are digital video cameras (professional ones), that can produce very high HD that have sensors larger than the ones that come with DVR’s at present,

size might be a stumbling block, but if the BBC have HD body cam’s then I’m sure if you do a google on surveillance equipment, a host of websites will pop up

Form factor nor discrete design is an issue for me. I just would like to know which will take the best quality video and is easy to move between vehicles.

To move between vehicles, you need second set of power adaptors and mounts / brackets ( in case its not suction mount type ), which most resellers do provide.
What do you think about Street Guardian SG9665GC ?

The best dashcams ATM seem to be based on the Sony IMX 322 CMOS chip, but even those will not capture a LP under all conditions, even under conditions thats still daytime and with a fair ammount of light present they will some times struggle.
But thats just the way things are with current affordable technology available to dashcam makers.

I am sure you can get a dashcam made that will do much better, but that will then have a price far above the 200- 300 dollars ppl seem to be happy to part with for a good camera.

If you can make do with a wire dangeling in front of your windscreen, or quickly tucked up over your sun visors to get it "out of the way" you can make do with one power supply provided with a dashcam.

EDIT PS: You cant really judge footage on the youtube stuff, they reformat it once again to ther own format, and really good stuff ,,, nay all stuff loose a little when they do that.
Thats why i find it sad even professional camera makers put footage on YT from ther new camera so ppl can see how good it is, but they dont provide a link so ppl can download the raw footage and really see what it is.

PPS. the markus 4 use a OV "Omni Vision" CMOS chip ( cant remember its number ) and it allso seem to be ca good chip and unlike the IMX322 it can do higher than 1080P resolutions.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I am having a hard time deciding between the Marcus 4 and Street Guardian SGZC12SG. While I think even a HERO4 would perform better, it doesn't have the loop recording that a dash cam does. Has anyone had the opportunity to play with both and come to any conclusion?

Back