New 3D Printable Mount

Shep

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
LG: Street Guardian; SM: Mobius
Made this design out of necessity, so I'm sharing it with everyone else too :)

I have a 2015 Subaru with EyeSight (an OEM dual camera setup for things like adaptive cruise control, pre-collision braking, etc.), and, like a human, putting something near its "Eyes" makes it harder to see. The "ideal" solution is to mount it in the corner of the windshield. I wanted to double up with one on each corner, while tilting it outwards to maximize the recorded area.

I needed a way to both mount and tilt the GC at the same time. Talking it over with Jon at SG USA, it became quickly apparent that there simply weren't any good options beyond designing and 3D printing one myself. So I did exactly that. ;)

This mount is fully customizable, which means you can adjust it to your heart's content. I have limited the angles to 90 degrees either direction for sanity's sake, and made the minimum thickness 3mm, as per the OEM "thin" mount.

Please note: this is UNTESTED !!! This means I have not printed this as of yet, so it may not fit correctly at the moment -- I am continuing to polish this up soon.

It is also a Work In Progress on account of little things I am continuing to add and fix. "To Do" list is below.

Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2364506

To Do List
  • Fix the "fireworks" on changing angles (result of close tolerances in difference () calls)
  • Add air vents as seen on original (OEM route of travel: through the hook and out the adhesive pad. New route of travel will follow KISS principles)
  • Print and confirm fitment
  • Allow windshield mount standoff to have wider base for more rigid mounting requirements.
  • Adapt to more dash cams!
Any requests, feedback, questions, etc. are all welcomed!

As for why I'm putting so much effort into it: it serves a dual purpose of learning my way around OpenSCAD (this is my first design with it, and I love it so far), as well as being able to adapt my design to a variety of dash cam makes and models, even other projects as I have a need for them. Or anyone else that wants to do that too, I made a point of heavily commenting my code to make changes that much easier.

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Subaru with EyeSight (an OEM dual camera setup for things like adaptive cruise control, pre-collision braking, etc.), and I believe it is one of the first in the country to have it (helps when your 2014 is totalled and the insurance money plus the better credit means you can suddenly afford such things). It's never quite worked right, turns out the SG GC I run in the center of the windshield is at fault. Rather than telling me there's a problem, it instead decides to behave erratically and make me question a firmware issue, but anyways.
way I read that is the dash cam caused you to lose your 2014 Subaru?? and it was the dashcams fault.

I'll go back and rephrase, oops, not at all what I meant, my bad!!!

Posting the explanation here since I'll probably remove the off-topic tangent I made that was confusing:

My 2014 Subaru was totalled before I used dash cams at all. The insurance check that paid it off went fully towards my 2015 Subaru. I spent a bit extra to get the EyeSight. I then installed dash cams in the 2015. As I used it more, I had issues with it, which have been traced back to the dash cam being mounted in an area that interferes with the EyeSight's field of view.

The dash cam does NOT interfere any more than my EZ-Pass did, to put it that way. Cameras are like humans: when there's something in front of their face, we have a hard time seeing. ;)

EDIT:
Fixed the wording, hope that clears things up a bit! Thank you for quoting the offending section, leaves a "paper trail" of sorts so "late to the party" guys can see what that was about.

Last edited:
I'll go back and rephrase, oops, not at all what I meant, my bad!!!

Posting the explanation here since I'll probably remove the off-topic tangent I made that was confusing:

My 2014 Subaru was totalled before I used dash cams at all. The insurance check that paid it off went fully towards my 2015 Subaru. I spent a bit extra to get the EyeSight. I then installed dash cams in the 2015. As I used it more, I had issues with it, which have been traced back to the dash cam being mounted in an area that interferes with the EyeSight's field of view.

The dash cam does NOT interfere any more than my EZ-Pass did, to put it that way. Cameras are like humans: when there's something in front of their face, we have a hard time seeing. ;)

EDIT:
Fixed the wording, hope that clears things up a bit! Thank you for quoting the offending section, leaves a "paper trail" of sorts so "late to the party" guys can see what that was about.
so you totalled your 2014 Subaru as you didn't have very good eyesight, so with the payment cheque you got improved your eyesight and got a dashcam and put it in a place that didn't get in the way of your eyesight of the road in front so you wouldn't total your new 2015 Subaru??

did I get it right that time??

You're getting closer, wozzzzza, keep trying....

"EyeSight" is a Subaru trademark, unrelated to my own vision ;) (although I got Lasik last winter anyways).

My 2014 was rear-ended. I was stopped, as were two people in front of me. Guy in front was making a left turn on a two-lane road. Lady behind me was going 55 MPH at the time of impact, 10 MPH over the limit.

Dealing with the claims adjusters from that incident was a large motivating factor for the investment in dash cams. The number of ways the blame for who was at fault got shifted on me was absurd. I have travelled that same stretch of road for years on my way to work, and even going 60 MPH, my stopwatch says 6 seconds passed from first visibility of my brake lights to actual impact. Being dark out, there's really no explanation beyond distracted driving. She wasn't intoxicated either -- we chatted for a long while after the fact, nice lady -- I have long suspected texting, but don't have any real reason to pursue it.

Speed limit on that road is 45 MPH by the way -- I'm fully aware of the implications of going 60 MPH, and would NOT advise others to do the same. Also worth noting that all three accidents I have been in were caused by someone else rear-ending me. I have had zero incidents caused by my failure to control beyond a couple ditches in the winter time with my old 2001 Civic (transmission issues add a whole new level to skid control, to put it that way -- I traded it in for my 2014 Subaru for that exact reason. No other cars were harmed.).

Back